Underrail - Development Update

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Underrail is still getting better:

Specialization and Veteran Level Changes

Hi guys. I did some changes regarding veteran levels which I originally introduced back in October.

First of all, player will continue to receive the normal amount of skill points when leveling up even on veteran levels now. Also, dervied stats such as health, detection and such will scale normally on veteran levels as well. However, players will also gain a feat every even level instead of every level when leveling on veteran levels. So basically everything is going to work as with normal levels with the exception of the feat pool being expanded with veteran feats once you hit veteran levels.

Allowing of the further skill scaling beyond the 25th level, however, requires us to provide some use for such high skill levels, particularly in crafting. To address this, the end-game areas and stores will have some of its loot/stock scaled up if the Expedition DLC is installed, particularly when it comes to crafting components. In the future, we also intend to address the problem of other non-combat skill scaling (such as social skills and hacking/lockpicking) by adding high level encounters/opportunities, so while currently it might not make sense to max out these skills, in the future it will have benefits.

However, the second, and more important change, is that on veteran levels you'll also get three specialization points.

You use these specialization points to further improve your non-veteran feats, often across specific dimension, as demonstrated in the GIF above. Your investment of points in any given specialization cannot exceed your veteran level (or the maximum allowed points for that specialization).

That's it for now. Let us know how you like these changes.
More information.

Finest incline!

I love that there's a "decapitation threshold". These are the kind of mechanics I can get behind! :)

Now they need to add a decent auto map.

100% agreed. They should add a mapping skill, a la Eschalon, in my opinion. The lack of an in-game map really turns me off and will probably prevent me from buying the expansion and going for a second playthrough.

Unfortunately, I would say it's pretty unlikely they'll implement this feature.

No map = more mystery

I like the idea of mapping via an optional skill (leaving it up to the player + adding a gameplay feature would perhaps have been the best possible decision) but people whining about the map need to git gud. Gamers are spoiled by quest compasses and other BS.

Really? If you need graph paper for Underrail then your short-term memory is impaired.

There is no mystery in showing you what you've seen.

Absolutely. It's in what you haven't seen. Which is what I said.

Last edited:
Underrail is the type of game I didn't even notice the auto map was not there. I only got a bit lost in one area and I kinda enjoyed wandering around. 90% of the game it's pretty hard to get lost.

For the record my short term memory is not the best and never have been. And yea I forget which floor a vendor or key mob was located and would prefer an auto map that showed their position when going BACk to a specific location - esp given that i usually play a game like this in small pieces over quite a bit of time with lots of distractions in the middle. So yea I prefer the game to keep notes so I don't have to bother - esp given that is the strength of modern computer.

Now they need to add a decent auto map.

Not so much an automap, as an area interconnect map. The areas themselves don't really need maps.

I take it this content will only be available for those who have completed the first release? The target market then is some small fraction of the original audience.

Back
Top Bottom