Fallout 4 Settlements/crafting

My charisma is 6 so I believe it's not 10+charisma but charisma*2.
See my second settlement reached the number of 12.

Okay I guess… I'll have to pump it up to 10.
Won't press it though.

Made it to charisma 9 last night at level 5. Probably going to hurt me in combat but my goal was to make 10 and be a smooth talker. Guess that means I can lead a decent settlement. Too bad my guy isn't smart enough to build the fancy stuff :p

The settlement stuff is very addictive. I tend to not be big on crafting in games as I often find it tedious. But the settlement has a lot of nice hooks. Since I tend to be the hero type I really like providing a safe haven for the residents. It makes me feel like I am really helping people out.

This thread has been super helpful though! I was having so many problems trying to get things to work. Took me a long time just to figure out the whole "V" key to start scrapping and building.

I got 5 settlers in Sanctuary and learned how to make beds, clean up the junk, placed some turrets, made the water purifier (that took forever as I tried to find water in range of the V command), a generator, and a few other things. Only got 1 food though so today got to hunt down some crops.

Also the "attach a wire" is fairly annoying - that took a bit of work. Wish you had more control over placing things. Like you should be able to let the camera go free and easily rotate and place things. Doing it in the limited space you have is a pain. I was often having to re-place guard posts so they faced the right way.

But it wasn't till I came here that I was able to finally figure out how to assign someone to guard duty. I didn't know you command them then leave command mode and walk to where they needed to be and then re-enter it. I was pointing with the mouse, entering go. Then running fast to catch up to them before they started walking back ... then repeating all the way to the post. Glad to know there is an easier way!

Really like the settlement stuff but a real guide would be nice.

Ya I had to build something yesterday that was rather involved, and had like 10 wires running through various devices, what a nightmare. I don't understand how the creators got this crafting part of the game so wrong, where the two mmos that I play do it so right. Right now in Fallout I basically only craft when I need to because it is sooooo annoyingly bad.

I don't understand how the creators got this crafting part of the game so wrong, where the two mmos that I play do it so right.
Because joysticks.
We need FalUI mod just like there was SkyUI ASAP.

If there is anything in the game I seriously find annoying so far, it's UI. Other things are either okay or great, but that UI is a disaster. What were they thinking?!

Totally agree on the UI. Some of it I can live with easy enough but other parts are very poorly designed.

My biggest peeve is that you can't use the same key to get out of something as you get into it. I.e. I mapped the MAP quick key to my HOME key. I press it once and go to the map in the pip-boy. But to exit I have to hit TAB not HOME key again.

Because of my desk and keyboard setup I map all keys to the right - using the numpad, middle key row, and keys on the right of the main key board.

Anyhow just annoying. But still having a very fun time.

The interface is, indeed, awkward - but I don't think it's that bad considering the flexibility of what you can do. It's not a dedicated builder, afterall.

That said, I really couldn't care less about this kind of crafting. There's a reason I never played Minecraft :)

I never played minecraft either, but I do like the idea of settlements. I just wish the NPC's built the settlement while you were gone. My only roles should be recruiting from all the people I help in the wasteland and bringing necessary materials. The AI should be able to build the settlement itself.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's cool that they added it for people into this stuff. I can appreciate it, it's just not really my thing.

Is there any advantage to setting up multiple settlements besides having multiple sources for settlement crafting materials? Otherwise it seems one is enough for me. The settlement status in my pipboy is bugged whenever status changes, providing incorrect info, so I have to fast travel back to check on status using the workshop menu. It's a hassle.

I was hoping the workshop storage would share food, clothing, weapons, mods, misc between settlements, but no. With the Local Leader perk and an assigned "provisioner" between settlement pairs, the only thing that gets shared are the junk materials in settlement workshop crafting mode. Apparently, nothing else is shared in storage. Not even stored furniture.

I "think" only crafting workshop junk is shared, and only when you workshop craft. Not armory crafting stuff, not weapon modifications, not chemistry, nor cooking materials. But I haven't been able to confirm this. Anyone know for sure?

Pipboy settlement status is bugged and I can confirm it.
Not totally broken though so it's still good to check it up, but it sometimes won't refresh correctly unless you visit a settlement. Dunno why nor what causes it yet nor how to force it to work properly (except that it's still not bugged so much to be Skyrimesque bug-o-rama).

The first advantage is setting up several shops that generate cash by themselves. Dunno what's actual ROI, but if your settlements are under 15 pop I wouldn't suggest doing it because income depends on number of occupants. These shops also sell sometimes rare stuff.
Bug/crap design is also related to it, usually a radiant grind garbage occurs with a trader - they get kidnapped so you have to rescue them or pay a hefty sum. Till you rescue them, there will be no caps in workshop to collect!

Second advantage (or perhaps disadvantage) is that building stuff earns you XP. Not much XP and it's pretty ignorable - unless you go crpgnut and start building like crazy. :D
Also you get XP from defending settlement radiant idiocy.
Hopefully, besides no respawn mod, soon no radiant rubbish mod will appear.

Third advantage is that by doing minutemen quests you'll max relationship with minuteman sidekick and he'll give you the semifinal minutemen quest (liberate a castle). I did it. On normal. A hint: bring fat man and 5-6 mininukes.
When you finish that quest you'll get a nifty perk from him (regardless if you romance him or not).
The final quest also happens at the castle and you get a special bombardment "ability" through it. This new thing to build you'll want in all your settlements as it's range is limited and more settlements has it, more map will be covered. OP? Perhaps. Dunno. Because I'm earlygame.
If there is even more, I haven't found yet and god knows when and if I will. Seriously, while I'm 80 hours in the game, I say it's still early game!

Workshop storages share only junk materials (and perhaps misc - caps, dunno for sure). If connected through provisioner as you found out.
Crafting/items: armor, weapons, food, chems - is *not* shared.

EDIT:
According to reddit on sharing ress:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/3sfkka/fallout_4_can_anyone_explain_how_supply_lines_work/
Looks like what happens is they will share provisions, such as food and water, as the supply line settler travels, and they will also share workshop materials, BUT they will not be visible to you in that location's workshop.

Very minor spoiler alert For example, I had a quest to clear out a new zone for the Minutemen and set up a settlement. Once there, I activated and was able to use the workbench. Then, I set a settler as part of a supply line with a settlement in which I had stored materials, and was able to use the chemistry bench to create explosives from the settlement I was connected with. Hope this helps. Cheers!
I'm not sure if I can make a farm of 837568347653847 crops in a settlement then use it to feed all others this way.

Oh and misc items (caps) is not shared. To collect them, you have to visit a workshop. Which is IMO rediculous.

Last edited:
BTW, it looks like I got a radiant quest from a new settler to take out raiders at another location. Can I safely ignore these kinds of quests? Really don't care much for the generic stuff.

Last edited:
I was going to spend sometime on settlement building but once I found the new stuff I build is just as dirty and crappy as the stuff I tore out it felt useless.

So I just cleared a house threw 6 beds in a room, a chair for the elderly drug addict, 2 water pumps just outside, plant some corn and a added a couple turrets.

Also It's been 210 years, now I'm not sure how long it was before we could repopulate but couldn't anyone besides me do a little cleaning and rebuilding in that time. Small nitpick but a bit annoying.

I'll return to it if we get some mods that lets us actually renovate the place otherwise replacing crap with crap isn't very satisfying.

I agree, saki. I'm hoping the mod community comes up with much better textures and total replacements so you can build something to be proud of for your little peasants. If the art resources are in the game already, from the pre-nuke times, it shouldn't be hard to add that stuff to the menus.

Also, there is a point in the game where you find a bunch of stuff in good shape. It'd be neat if you could update your settlements with copies of that stuff, or just buy that stuff from the place that has it.

I'll return to it if we get some mods that lets us actually renovate the place otherwise replacing crap with crap isn't very satisfying.
Mods? Right...
You seem so forgetting... Of three Skyrim DLC, which one was the second?

Sure, the game does grant you some more building options through magazines you find while exploring (I found 3 or 4 of those) but none of it are some sci fi high tech Deus Ex looking material, just retro junk. :D

After all this time, I only recently figured out how to scrap the junk in your inventory to collect the individual components. For anyone who doesn't know, you have to drop it on the ground first and then go to workshop mode, highlight it, and scrap it.

Really, really stupid for Bethesda to make it that way. Why not have the option to simply scrap junk at the workshop the same way we can scrap weapons at the weapon bench? It's almost as if they were actually trying to be counter-intuitive.

Back
Top Bottom