Shroud of the Avatar - Set to Launch March 27 2018

So is this launch with a capital L? Because last time they announced launch they said it was a small "l" and it didn't count, that was only story launch.
Before that it was "feature complete launch"
Before that it was "No wipe persistence launch"

Are they even sure what this means anymore?

Seriously tho, I logged on at build 38ish and seen nothing changed except the pay to win cash shop. Highly instanced game, didn't see anyone the entire time..
High res assets sitting beside low res. I actually thought someone was trolling the starter area by having a wall of 2D assets you couldn't move through.
Scam of the Avatar is the best description of this online dance party yet.

I was a pretty strong supporter of this during kickstarter and for awhile after, then I got smart. They sold one game on kickstrater then changed it to a full MMO. They have lied and double talked their way out of things and made a game entirely based on how much you spend and how much you can sell it for real world money.

You mention those looking for a single player game will not like it, when they sold this game to those people…total bait and switch.

I'm willing to bet March will come they will say it was only a release candidate but because this is such a new way of making games(it's not) that they can't categorize themselves the same.

The storyline is junk and amateurish at best.

The game should be called Scam of the Avatar.

Hey Rune aren't you sad your banned from their forums? Lol

I read on a German mmo site a while back that the performance and load times are so bad even on virtually empty instances that they suspect cryptomining using your hardware.
They listed load times for high end machines and they were abysmal. Combined that with all their cryptotoken "partners" its not a hard leap.
I don't follow the game so i don't know if this is true.

Yes, should be interesting to watch in a sit back with a box of popcorn and watch it burn sort of way. Of course that's easy for me to say as I don't have any money in it. It's also a shame though. One, for the many people who put up some money in good faith early on and look like they're going to get jipped and two, a missed opportunity for what should have been something to look forward to in CRPG-ing.

Hey Rune aren't you sad your banned from their forums? Lol

Only thing that makes me sad about that is that I cannot call them out on this.

Banned for bringing up issues years ago.

Only thing that makes me sad about that is that I cannot call them out on this.

Banned for bringing up issues years ago.

Yea but you kind of did, at least on here. Granted I doubt they will see it. So will this be on steam so we can see reviews? Does steam have some way the devs can have an influence in reviews? If not this could be an all-time comedy routine. 20% steam score?

Edit: wow already on steam. Currently 52%. Think that will go down or up?

I doubt they can repair their reputation. They should feel lucky if that rating reaches even for 70. I predict it will drop just lower when people get to play the "finished" product.

Last edited:
They could have just made a single player crpg like they first pitched, skipped all the info-mercial scam asset sales, made a some money, and be done years ago. But they too couldn’t resist that “on going revenue” siren currently gripping the entire industry resulting with games built from the ground up with pay to win, pay walls, and loot boxes. It’s a bummer and though I was a big fan of the ultima games, I’ll forever be skeptical of any games produced by Garriott in the future.

Yea but you kind of did, at least on here. Granted I doubt they will see it. So will this be on steam so we can see reviews? Does steam have some way the devs can have an influence in reviews? If not this could be an all-time comedy routine. 20% steam score?

Edit: wow already on steam. Currently 52%. Think that will go down or up?

Funny thing is they banned me on steam too...common for anyone who puts up anything they don't like.

They could have just made a single player crpg like they first pitched, skipped all the info-mercial scam asset sales, made a some money, and be done years ago. But they too couldn’t resist that “on going revenue” siren currently gripping the entire industry resulting with games built from the ground up with pay to win, pay walls, and loot boxes. It’s a bummer and though I was a big fan of the ultima games, I’ll forever be skeptical of any games produced by Garriott in the future.

I'm not even sure how much richard is involved with this...he never has a clue with what is actually in game or going to be in game. Definately a hands off kind of development. I'm not even sure he cares.

I'm not even sure how much richard is involved with this…he never has a clue with what is actually in game or going to be in game. Definately a hands off kind of development. I'm not even sure he cares.

That's strange because if this goes down in flames I don't see how he attracts anyone with money who might be willing to attach themselves to a game.

That's strange because if this goes down in flames I don't see how he attracts anyone with money who might be willing to attach themselves to a game.

Somewhere around build 15-20 I stopped going to their forum but they swore that Richard was involved daily, video conferences in every day if not there, has final say, is creative director etc etc etc.
Then when someone called bullshit on something Richard promised and didnt delivered, he backpedaled and swore that hes just a nobody, has no say, its all the company, they make decisions, he just helps...

So really they full heartedly committed to both extremes there. Like everything they do, both committments are probably lies and the truth is neither. I can imagine if this fails Richard will distance himself immediately and swiftly and try and delete all evidence that he had anything else to do with it other than celebrity support.

Thought I would cross post this here:

Twas the night before release, when all through the office
Not a dev was working, even one would suffice.
The addon store was stocked, bursting with junk;
In hopes that some whale would buy the gunk.
:

The white knights were sure, that the game would be great;
With visions of thousands of players await.
And Richard Garriot, with cap in hand;
Begged players to come, to his farway land.
:

When out in the forums there arose such an outcry;
Berek sprang to the thread to lock it, oh my.
Away to REDDIT they flew like a flash;
Posting and reporting on Berrek’s rehash.
:

Darkstar ignored it, as he was known to;
After all this is what they said they would do.
When what should occur, but a change in release;
After all that is said, it still pays the lease.
:

Now, Berek! Now, Richard! Now, Lum and Chris!
You all seem incompetent and taken to the piss.
From one fundraiser to another open to all;
You have avoided another, great big fall.
:

As time is fleeting, away every day;
You continue to pretend, we wanted it this way.
So, continue to flounder whatever you do;
You know Richard, still has no clue.
:

Chris continues to act aloof;
With Darkstar being a goof.
Cavorting and singing the same tired song,
This cannot continue for long.
:

A writer in name, we have in Lum;
Who continues to say, don’t be so glum.
The story is awful, so poorly done;
No one completes it, no one has won.
:

With Kickstarter promises, that no one upholds,
We continue complaining, until this game folds.
Richard is smiling and counting with glee;
All of the money he got for free.
:

So of this release, much can be said;
Such as it happened already, that this game is dead.
But out comes knights all covered in white,
To sell us a new date, who said they were bright.
:

So Richard, lord British,
I say this to you, I have one wish.
Please look in the mirror and look what you’ve done;
Look at your work and know no one has won.

Bahaha. Well done Rune.
(Who is Lum?)

Bahaha. Well done Rune.
(Who is Lum?)

Lum?

The story expert, quest guru...says a ton that many do not know who he is.

A fanboy from the UO days.

Lum?

The story expert, quest guru…says a ton that many do not know who he is.

A fanboy from the UO days.

Thanks. I logged in during their "story launch" and was disappointed about the whole thing. Learned a few more /dance emotions from grieving widows but overall didn't really find a story aside from kill more animals and deliver letters to crappy instances. Spent more time walking than doing a story.

One thing sorta stuck with me tho... Why? Like why anything? Its not a sandbox so some story is expected but nothing really tells you WHY you do anything.
No evil to vanquish, no princess to rescue, no Blackthorn to take down, no castle to raze. Maybe I missed something?

Thanks. I logged in during their "story launch" and was disappointed about the whole thing. Learned a few more /dance emotions from grieving widows but overall didn't really find a story aside from kill more animals and deliver letters to crappy instances. Spent more time walking than doing a story.

One thing sorta stuck with me tho… Why? Like why anything? Its not a sandbox so some story is expected but nothing really tells you WHY you do anything.
No evil to vanquish, no princess to rescue, no Blackthorn to take down, no castle to raze. Maybe I missed something?

The answer is RMT, sell stuff make money scam.

You mean RES (Real Estate Simulator) rune? :)

Back
Top Bottom