Last game you finished, tell us about it

I finished my replay of Cthulhu, it's really such a fun game. This time around I found a team-mate from the Breath of Death game that I'd missed somehow on my original run through the game, which was nice because it let me slot him in place of my other melee bloke. Every so often, it's truly nice to play or replay a product with very low stress involved!

I finished . . . . . Every so often, it's truly nice to play or replay a product with very low stress involved!

Yup. Just played 3 long term RPGs Bards Tale, Grimoire and Wasteland 2 and I'm just over 400 hours in Enderal with about 50 to go. I will be hard hitting, Hidden Object games for about a month just to cleanse the palate.

Hidden object game problems.
Why is that screwdriver hidden behind that hammer?
or
Why are they hiding 95% of the guitar behind the cabinet?
or
Why is the color scheme so dark? Stupid developers.
I miss that anger.

as opposed to Enderal:
Should I or should I not let a basically good farmer go free who got too deep into robbing a merchant simply to keep his farm and his family alive. I had to bring him in because there were some deaths involved but now I got a family that is destitute and I may have added more folks to the crime world. My companion liked my action but the farmer was crying and, and, and, you call this a GAME.

there are some screwdrivers out there that need a finding . . .

I will be hard hitting, Hidden Object games for about a month just to cleanse the palate.

Do you have any series you'd recommend? Or do you just select random ones that look cool?

I've done most of the Mystery Case Files series & The Keepers series so far.

Do you have any series you'd recommend? Or do you just select random ones that look cool?

I've done most of the Mystery Case Files series & The Keepers series so far.

Gladly

Artifex Mundi hog game company has high quality control so you cant go wrong with most of their inventory.

My favorite is the 3 game series Nightmares from the Deep. Surprising emotional depth for a 10 hour HOG game. (first game in the series)

Favorite beautiful graphics game is Nearwood. It has a fantastic fantasy world. Stunning art work, that can not be denied.

Favorite Sci fi HOG is Beyond: Light Advent. Most players agree this is the best and everybody is confused why they don't make more in this genre.

Favorite Steampunk: Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink...see sci fi complaint above

Favorite Off Beat HOG: The Tiny Bang Story. Imagine playing in the art world of the movie Fantastic Planet.

Favorite voice acting: Brink of Conscience Dorian Grey. The best villain ever. Also the best bonus chapter.

Favorite genre bending: Chapter 1 and 2 only of the RPG /HOG combination game Hero of the Kingdom.

Favorite Music: Cardenza: Music and Betrayal. Game takes place in New Orleans with appropriate music.

I would provide links but my prior post crashed that was about twice as long. That so sucks when you have good ideas and then poof... all gone.

NOTE: I think all the above listed games got very positive reviews on Steam except for Cardenza. (only 4 reviews) However Cardenza is loved in the steam HOG group.

Thanks, that's an awesome list and a good reference point for the future. It's the wrong time of year for them for me as I find the more sunny it is the harder it is to see the screen, I tend to play them late autumn to early spring, but I'll know where to look now when the time comes.

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. This game has been on my wishlist for a long-time, and I finally made some time for it, and almost finished it. I kind of ran out of steam towards the end, since it became very repetitive. But I managed to put in 11 hours or so. And watched the ending on youtube.

But even so, I enjoyed it while it was new. The gameplay is very solid, and you can clearly see the devs ideas also in the later Dishonored and Prey games.

The only thing I disliked was the story and writing. I was especially shocked to see the reaction of the main character when he found out he's the Dark Messiah. He just rolled with it, absolutely no concern when he found out he's basically the son of an evil god? Weird stuff.

But, great otherwise. Except for the ending where I just lost patience killing the same enemies over and over, with very little narrative purpose.

Game of Thrones

One of the few times I've forced myself to finish a sub-par game because I wanted to see how the story ended. It had a very unexpected plot twist at the end, but I'm still not sure if it was worth the time I invested.

For those who aren't familiar with it, GoT is an RPG by Cyanide Studio based on the novel of the same name. It takes place before and during the events of the book. (the first season of the show).

It plays like a low-budget blend of The Witcher and Dragon Age: Origins. Combat is very similar to DA:O execpt hitting the space bar slows time to a crawl rather than stopping it entirely. Otherwise, it basically copies that style.

Rather than one primary player-character, there are actually two in GoT. Mors Westford, a member of the Night's Watch, and Alester Sarwyck, a red priest of R'hllor. You alternate between them for several chapters before eventually playing them together.

I won't talk about the plot other than to say it was pretty good. Apparently it was reviewed by G.R.R. Martin and went through multiple drafts before he was satisfied with it.

You encounter several characters from the book/show during the course of the game. I won't say which ones, but two of them are voiced by the actors who portray them on the show which was a nice surprise.

Other than that though, there aren't many positive things I can say about the game. It's clunky as hell and often frustrating. I had to reload quite a few times after losing battles because one of my characters simply wouldn't go where I wanted him, and combat in general just seems extra messy compared to similar style games.

I'd say it's worth playing only if you're a big fan of the books/show. If you're not, give it a hard pass.

6/10

I remember playing that game (Game of Thrones) long time ago and I liked it! Even combat system. It was one of the few newer games I ever finished...hmm probably because of characters and story.

Aye, I also enjoyed that Games of Throne game. I remember enjoying it quite a bit, not sure it's one I'll ever replay, but it was a great distraction at the time. Definitely worth playing if you're a fan of either the books or television show.

Finished my platinum run of sekiro. 167 hrs, i think.

Very fun but also pretty frustrating at times. Some enemies can kill you in 1 to 2 hits so you can fight a boss flawlessly for 10-15 min, then get your toe stuck on a rock or have the camera randomly unlock or get caught in a corner and have the camera point at the sky or the ground and swipe, swipe you’re dead. Do it again. Cheap deaths like this are frustrating in a game where you will naturally pile up the deaths.

That’s aside though the combat system is very fun, deathblows are very satisfying and the whole system is pretty addictive. To me at least.

Overall I have very mixed feelings about this one. The cheap deaths, reused bosses and areas and lack of armor and weapons are negatives for sure but the satisfying combat system, better story and setting make it worth it.

In the end I enjoyed my time and would definitely play a sequel. I’m just not sure though if its because the game was good enough to warrant it or I’m just a masochist. :biggrin:

I finally completed Dragon Quest eleven a few days ago, what a fantastic game! I'd honestly have to say I preferred the content before the faux ending, the quests and combat later seemed heavily scripted and limiting, at times forcing you to use certain people in your team. I much prefer forming my own squad and having the capability of still being able to best the opposition. For now though, this product is sitting high on my list of games of the year!

O_O
I guess you've played nothing for a decade if puff-puff is high on your list... :p

After second attempt finally finished Divinity Original Sin. First time I lost my interest after entering Phantom Forest. Second attempt (on hardest difficulty) was the same - game started to drag and I slightly lost my will to continue in Phantom Forest. But nevertheless eventually I came back and finished game after some months.

The combat was real fun, crafting not so much, I actually ended by abandoning it completely after half game through. Too few of cool powerful items, Madora still wore orc armor at last boss fight!

The first part of the game was interesting along with the story, it kept me going, but then it all started to fall apart after End of Time introduction and revelation about guardians. I had absolutely no interest in this "save the universe" and "you are chosen ones"" cliche - it felt that even both main characters dont give a f### about this crap and want to get away from it.

Then it really started to annoy me with all those love stories - cat in love with some babe, two other sorceresses in love with some mage and what else not - why should my characters care whos in love with who?! Larian lost me there and I even ended hating that stupid cat and small imp.
It would be 10 times better if they continued story about source hunters and their mission, like going back to academy for report and probably go on on another , more dangerous mission…

So in the end half game was great, but the other part fell apart for me. Well, at least it is done, but I doubt I will ever replay DOS again.

So I was looking through the games I've yet to play, saw the recent Valkyria game and almost made the call.....then decided to replay the original one that came out maybe five years ago or so for the computer. Man, that's a great game, blew through it in three days and enjoyed every single moment! Not sure what I'll play next, either that new Valkyria game or perhaps Neverwinter Nights the extended edition, which I tested maybe eighteen months ago but never actually played through.

A Plague Tale: Innocence

A very story-heavy game about the outbreak of a plague in 14th century France. More specifically, it's about a young girl named Amicia (the player-character for most of the game) and her younger bother Hugo and what they had to endure.

It's hard to be much more specific without including spoilers, so I'll just say that the story is the game's strongest point, and I thought it was excellent by industry standards.

It's a good thing the story is as strong as it is though, because the game is lacking in other aspects. 90% of the action consist of stealth and/or puzzles. There really isn't much else. The remainder is some very limited exploration and simple crafting.

Even the combat, if you can call it that, is more like a series of puzzles than actual combat. In the event you're spotted by an enemy, you usually have only a matter of seconds to deal with that enemy in a very specific way or you're reloading from the last checkpoint. Death is automatic if an enemy gets within melee range or hits you with a ranged weapon.

From a visual standpoint, the game looks really good both technically and artistically. It reminded me of Kingdom Come: Deliverance for obvious reasons and achieves a similar level of visual fidelity. The soundtrack, by Olivier Deriviere, fits the setting pefectly.

The game doesn't overstay its welcome. I finished it in three sittings and found around 90% of the various collectibles you can find. I think it took me around 12 hours total.

I've seen a few people compare it to The Last of Us which I think is misleading. They do share similar stories about people just trying to survive in extreme circumstances, and they also hit similar notes on an emotional level, but A Plague Tale is much more limited by comparison, especially gameplay-wise.

It's a good game, but one that, imo, is getting much higher scores than it deserves. It currently has a 94% positive rating on Steam and 81 and 8.8, from critics and users respectively, on Metacritic. Perhaps I'm simply not the target audience, but I must admit to being a little surprised by those scores.

What it does it does extremely well, but it's somewhat of a one-trick pony. If you think the story is something you would enjoy, then definitely go for it. Just don't expect a lot of variety when it comes to gameplay.

6.5/10

Finally finished both Doom 1 and Doom 2. Man, it was one helluva ride. I've played about 20+ hours of continuous Doom for the last week and my head is kind of pounding. Feeling really tired right now. It was fun, but I'm glad it's over. The last boss fight, the Icon of Sin was a real pain in the ass.

I wonder if I want to try Doom 3, or if I should just skip it. I'm really not in the mood of jump scares.

Doom 3 isn't that scary but it is a bit different from the original doom. Graphics were good when it came out but i haven't played the remastered version and no clue how it has aged.

Remastered Doom 3 is good fun, I enjoyed it. The main gameplay change is that you can use your flashlight and gun at the same time rather than having to toggle them as in the original. In some ways it's more fun, but it definitely reduces the tension of the very dark levels. Worth playing definitely imho, but very different to Doom 1 and 2.

I played Doom 3 back when it released and only up to a point, and then I dropped it. Even though it's not really a horror game, there's enough jump scares to make me very tense while playing it. I'm this way with most of these games, and especially horror games. I can only play them in short burts, in order to let my heart calm down :D

I've played about 1h of Doom 3, and then I dropped it again. I'm just not in the mood. So I jumped directly to Doom 2016, which I almost completed back when it released (I got stuck on Ultra-Violence on a particular encounter towards the end where I just kept on dying). So, I hope to tackle this again.

Remastered Doom 3 is good fun, I enjoyed it. The main gameplay change is that you can use your flashlight and gun at the same time rather than having to toggle them as in the original. In some ways it's more fun, but it definitely reduces the tension of the very dark levels. Worth playing definitely imho, but very different to Doom 1 and 2.

Yep, there are also a few really good mods that enhance it further. Doom 3 has aged very well imo and is still a blast to play. I enjoyed it more than the new Doom tbh.

If you ever play it again, check out the BFG Hi Def mod and the Immersive mod.

Back
Top Bottom