Star Citizen - Being Sued by Crytek

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gamespot Cloud Imperium Games is being sued by Crytek over a breach of contract and copyright infringement.

German game developer and publisher Crytek is suing the developer of the ambitious PC space game Star Citizen over breach of contract and copyright infringement claims. Specifically, Crytek is suing Cloud Imperium Games on the claim that the the Star Citizen studio did not live up to the promises it made for using Crytek's CryEngine.

According to the complaint filed December 12 (via PC Gamer), Crytek agreed to a below-market rate for Cloud Imperium to use CryEngine with the agreement being that Cloud Imperium would prominently display the CryEngine logo in the game. The lawsuit says Crytek knew that displaying the CryEngine's logo was a "critical component" of the agreement between the two companies. The lawsuit goes on to say that Cloud Imperium founder Chris Roberts "publicly sought to minimize Crytek's contribution to Star Citizen."

[...]
Thanks for the news Lucky Day!

More information.

Crytek must be desperate. Its a wonder they are still in business at this point.

Or Chris Roberts has absolutely taken the piss, and pushed them too far, which I could well believe.

Guess it's time for another pledge ;)

Seriously, though, I agree with Silver that this is more desperation than a sensible suit. Then again, how many of these suits are ever about what's right.

They bought out the engine and hired several of the key employees from CryTek, and they're using Lumberyard today.

So, I wouldn't fret too much. Though they might have a case - and it could be costly, which might end up hurting the actual game.

That would make me unhappy :(

Last edited:
IMO if actual trolls exist, they're all lawyers.

Anyway, CI made a statement:
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/crytek-sues-cloud-imperium-for-violating-their-cryengine-contract/
We are aware of the Crytek complaint having been filed in the US District Court. CIG hasn’t used the CryEngine for quite some time since we switched to Amazon’s Lumberyard. This is a meritless lawsuit that we will defend vigorously against, including recovering from Crytek any costs incurred in this matter.

On the other hand:
https://www.scribd.com/document/367101474/Crytek-v-CIG
"Section 2.1.2 of the GLA contained a critical promise from Defendants that they would not develop the Star Citizen video game using any other video game engines"

"Section 2.1.2 of the GLA expressly states that CIG has a license only to "embed CryEngine in the Game and develop the Game." The GLA limits the use of the CryEngine computer program to a single video game called Star Citizen."
The question now is if CIG and Crytek settled when CIG decided to leave this "partnership" and switch to another engine.

Maybe Crytek is desparate. But nevertheless this lawsuit is very dangerous for the Star Citizen project. Crytek brought in the big guns. Their law firm is the one who got the 500M$ for Zenimax from Oculus.

Excellent news, finally something exciting on this front. Hahaha! I wish so Star Citizen to perish! Lumberyard-Junkyard is merely an embellished Crytek Engine. If Crytek goes down with Star Citizen so be it, but Star Citizen Must Fall!

Excellent news, finally something exciting on this front. Hahaha! I wish so Star Citizen to perish! Lumberyard-Junkyard is merely an embellished Crytek Engine. If Crytek goes down with Star Citizen so be it, but Star Citizen Must Fall!

Are you being sarcastic or you really hate Star Citizen? I can't tell :lol:

I'm kinda puzzled by the court document (on scribd) saying this is a copyright infringement and then talk about breach of contract.

These are mutually exclusive. A copyright infringement can only happen if the contract was cancelled (or never existed) while a breach of contract require a valid contract.

edit:
Even more puzzling, the court document claims SQ42 was a second game added in 2015 when it was part of the original crowdfunding pitch in late 2012 and I doubt CIG would have forgot to mention it when they got the engine license in 2013.

Based on how the legal system works - I do fear this could end up being a very serious thing for Star Citizen.

I don't care about my investment in the slightest - but if the most ambitious game of all time is held back or potentially cancelled because some dream-team manages to win the case, that would be one of the saddest moments in gaming history from my point of view.

I sudenly askled myself is the fines / punishment fees must be paid from the Kickstarter money - so, by the players ?

<shrug> Indirectly.

There is a case here but I'd be surprised if crytek really aim for more than a settlement, which seem likely for them to get.
Will be interesting to see if amazon gets involved or not.

I didn't back the game and don't really have any interest in whether either side wins or loses.

Also, I'm no lawyer, but to me it settles (no pun intended) down to this:

SQ42: is a second game CI started making using the crytek engine. If they didn't get an agreement with crytek to make a 2nd game using their engine that's a breach. If they started making SQ42 then switched to another engine without permission then that is a different OR 2nd breach.

Star Citizen:The real breach seems to be here. If CI did not get permission to switch to using a differenct engine then that is a breach of contract.

The not showing the CryEngine logo prominenty thing would only be getting really picky and having to show the logo on all screenshots/video clips showing the old content made with that engine. Seems kinda pointless and not likely part of any lawsuit to me.

Sorry for the ramble, I just drank a pot of coffee...

It would be interesting if you could bid on the stuff people are refunding. E.g. space ships, jet bikes, etc. A sort of auction.

Back
Top Bottom