Kingdom Come - Launch Trailer

Where have you been in the last 10 years?
Thankfully not anywhere near a controller. :lol:

There is few "kb/mouse" PC gamers left on the planet really. We are an endangered species.
And I'm pretty sure that's completely, 100% wrong. The PC games that get the huge player numbers are the stuff like MMORPGs (ie WoW), MOBAs, and the big name shooter games (CS, PUBG, Overwatch, whatever). There may be a few people who play shooters on PCs with controllers, but they're as few in number as they are low in IQ. Otherwise, nobody's playing those games with controllers.

It is very easy to hook up a controller to your pc….hello last 10 years…

but (and that's a genuine question) what's the advantage rune when I don't have any issues when playing with K/M?

I never would have bought a controller for myself, but getting one as a gift a few years ago, I eventually tried it out and found it quite helpful with some games, mostly older rpg's that had been recently put on GoG/Steam. It is useful, but in no way is it my preferred way of playing.

As for this game, sounds like the usual obligatory patches are worth the wait. I'll check in on it later.

Why not wait, when it will eventually go on sale? Now if I totally run out of games to play, that's a different story.

And I'm pretty sure that's completely, 100% wrong. The PC games that get the huge player numbers are the stuff like MMORPGs (ie WoW), MOBAs, and the big name shooter games (CS, PUBG, Overwatch, whatever). There may be a few people who play shooters on PCs with controllers, but they're as few in number as they are low in IQ. Otherwise, nobody's playing those games with controllers.

Most of the post 2010 MMOs support controllers either natively or via mappers (I think SWTOR is the only exceptions where it doesn't work) and a few, like ESO and DCUO, are basically designed to be played with a controller. GW2 needs a mapper, but it work fine that way (I have guildies who play the game like that).

I have seen argument about controllers being superior to kb/mouse for shooters a few years ago too. It was a COD Modern Warfare thread though....

Started playing and having lots of fun so far.

I actually have to say that after having seen the trailers I expected more in terms of landscape graphics.
The characters however look extremely well. Also I am very positively surprised by the quality of the german localization.
Also how the npcs handle objects in cutszenes looks extremely impressive.

Can't say anything about controls (playing with mouse and keyboard) as I didn't have any serious fights yet. When collecting herbs though I was a bit annoyed that you have to look at the animation each and every time.

I bought it via kickstarter back then for 15 Punds ~ 18€

Settings used are 1080p and very high settings (max is ulta) using a gtx 1070.

From gameWatcher, I think...

... the game lacks any sort of quick or manual save function, instead relying on an in-game item called “Saviour Schnapps” to save your progress. The problem with it is that it is a consumable item that gets you drunk, which benefits immersion at the cost of convenience.

While the inability to save made my decisions much more lasting as I couldn’t just reload something that went wrong, it quickly became a nuisance – the game’s autosaves are few and far between, meaning you can’t easily stop playing when real life calls, and may very well lose hours of progress if the game or the system fail for any reason. You feel a hostage to the game, unable to rely on it to autosave your progress, and asking something in exchange everytime you play if you want to save your progress. It is absurd.

This sounds like a deal-breaker for me - for this, or any game. Not being able to save to end a gaming session when I need to is a requirment of playing games for me these days. Maybe it'll get tweaked in the future...

I have to say the game far exceeds my expectations at this point and I've just played through the prologue.

I know it's only February and the year is still young but if the rest of the game lives up to the beginning then this is a serious contender for my personal GOTY for 2018.

The only thing that I dislike is having to drink alcohol (or sleep) to save the game as I don't have the time for long gaming sessions.

From gameWatcher, I think…

This sounds like a deal-breaker for me - for this, or any game. Not being able to save to end a gaming session when I need to is a requirment of playing games for me these days. Maybe it'll get tweaked in the future…

I can totally relate to what you're saying.

I think they wanted to introduce a truly hardcore feel to the game and create a sense of urgency and danger and I do believe that it works but it's also a terrible nuisance when you have only 30 minutes to play and need to get your hands on some of that liquor in order not to lose your progress.

You can only carry three flagons of Saviour Schnapps and frankly that's not a lot.

I do wish we will soon get a mod that will provide us with a way to either get more of these of get them for free thus providing a way to bypass that limitation.

This sounds like a deal-breaker for me - for this, or any game. Not being able to save to end a gaming session when I need to is a requirment of playing games for me these days. Maybe it'll get tweaked in the future…
The game does have some odd game saving system.
If it was checkpoints based garbage from hardware incapable of memorizing the world I'd be first to spit on it, but I'm not in the game far enough to be honest if the system used is okay, great or plain horrible.

But so far all complaints on saving system on Steam forum felt like crybaby whining over nothing.
You can only carry three flagons of Saviour Schnapps and frankly that's not a lot.
You sure about that?
What's the alchemy skill used for then? Just cosmetics? :D

I kinda like the saving restrictions. You should be allowed to save on game exit though.

I just played the 2-3 hour of the game and the intruduction to some of the mechanics was rather bad and I restarted a trivial passage over and over. Not really ideal.

You guys have definitely convinced me to let this thing sit for several months. It sounds good enough to play, maybe, but not yet.

I kinda like the saving restrictions. You should be allowed to save on game exit though.

For me, the idea of potentially losing a significant amount of playtime isn't cool so I agree that a save on exit would alleviate that concern. I guess a player could abuse that but that would be a pretty un-fun process, quitting and restarting repeatedly so I think the original idea around making saves more meaningful would still stand with that added. Hopefully we'll see a mod or something at some point.

You guys have definitely convinced me to let this thing sit for several months. It sounds good enough to play, maybe, but not yet.

Yeah, those are my impressions as well. Good game but needs more time in the oven…

I was 50/50 with this game anyway, but yeah the sound of that save system completely kills my interest. Hopefully they'll adapt it later down the line.

Even if it was bug-free, I don't think I'd have much interest. To be honest, it just doesn't look that fun.

A medieval game with no magic or mythical enemies? Like crpgnut said, it looks more like a sim than an RPG.

There is already a mod (well more like a file edit) to enable saving whenever you want without drinking alchool.

You can also save/load using the in-game console apparently.

Like @JDR13; it doesn't look too fun to me, either. There is really no way I could play a game like this without it having magic or some sort of magical, fantasy stuff in it.

The one way I could maybe let it slide was if it had some great, unique gameplay systems, like Mount & Blade or something. Building an army, traveling a huge map recruiting soldiers, running a kingdom, something, anything that would add some flavor to the game.

There is already a mod (well more like a file edit) to enable saving whenever you want without drinking alchool.

And so I've heard. But saves weren't the only issues that I've picked up from the reviews. Empty gameworld and (apparently) uninteresting quests are as important to me as game saves. Quite a few reviewers called it a medieval combat sim and that doesn't sound like my kind of game.

Aaaand...
I have to suggest using this mod.

I just passed a huge chunk of the game, beaten a guy and basically the game wants me to steal from him, I steal his axe and then he calls a guard. Dafuq?
Okay screwit I can't bribe the guard and I can't win barehands against him - reload so I won't steal again...

And it returned me at point of throwing turds, I now have to to buy skillbook again, train sword again, etc, probably a whole hour if not more of the game wasted.

I thought it autosaves on each quest but apparently not or it's bugged.
'tis sad.

Back
Top Bottom