Greedfall - Gameplay Overview Trailer

It is unusual for me to have so many games (Greedfall, Vampire Bloodlines 2, Realms Beyond, Solasta, and Black Geyser) to look forward to - trying to keep my hype level in check.

Likely this game will satisfy the barbie fun house + Bioware-ian RPG style itch for me. I'm loving the outfit, the ability to play as female protagonist, and the fact it is party based.

I don't mind the romance but I sure hope it's less show and more tell - not interested in too many cut scenes with two character dolls doing funny things.

Not sure if I will enjoy the faction side of things, I was never really into the politic thing. Also the combat look very action-y but as long as it's done well I wouldn't mind (currently enjoying Monster Hunter World combat mechanics).

Why are so many surprised about party based and romances? All of their previous games had these.

Because none of their previous vidoes showed or mentioned it?

What previous games by Spiders were party-based? I don't consider having a single companion party-based.

As far as romances are concerned, that element is irrelevant to me as long as it's not forced on the player. I don't recall romance being in Mars: War Logs, so it must not have been very prominent which is how I prefer it.

Yeah, I don't care that much about romances in games. And the cringe-worthy pixel sex that some games have :lol: What I do like is managing, to some extent, relationships so that when you balance everyone's desires you can form a stronger team. That said, I don't like having team members leave for some tiny action that they disapprove of - they can bitch about it, and maybe whatever team bonus they provided can bee removed, but don't break up my carefully crafted team, that I have spent 30 hours adventuring with!

The game looks good - I don't like the over the top combat though - leaping and cavorting about, with lots of VFX/power attacks etc. What I liked about the Gothics, Risen and Elex (the game looks a bit like Risen, as others have noted) was slower more measured combat (OK, sometime it was a bit silly, with enemies queuing up…but still, tempo was good)

What previous games by Spiders were party-based? I don't consider having a single companion party-based.
Their last one, Technomancer with a party size of 3.
But indeed I misremembered Mars: War Logs and Bound by Flame where in fact you could only have one companion at a time (with only quest-specific exceptions where you have 2).

That means the number of companions increased over time, so even less a surprise that we now have 3 of them at a time. ;)

Also I think the previous trailers or gameplay footage already showed companions during combat.

I don't recall romance being in Mars: War Logs, so it must not have been very prominent which is how I prefer it.
It also had romance.

I don't recall romance being in Mars: War Logs, so it must not have been very prominent which is how I prefer it.
There was one, but I wasn't interested and skipped it.
If the game will follow previous designs, no NPC will force themselves on you like in Bioware's games. Which is a pity if you ask me. I'd make it mandatory. Of course, since all party members can turn on you if unhappy and are apparently killable including your "love interest"… Imagine the drama. :evilgrin:
I mean, how many years have to pass till we see shotgun wedding (FO2) in a game again? Videogames need humor. No humor = rubbish game.

Definitely looks my kind of game. Uses manual saves too which is a big plus. Not open world though and have been burned by difficulty spikes in Spiders games before so might need to wait until the game has been out for a while before committing to a purchase

Also I think the previous trailers or gameplay footage already showed companions during combat.

I don't recall any previous trailers showing companions, If they did, they didn't specifically mention that they were active companions.

I just hope the AI is good. I'm not sure how companions are going to work when using stealth. Hopefully there's an option to tell them to wait. I'll be disappointed if it's one of those things where the companions sneak with you and the enemy AI pretends not to see them when they're in plain sight.

I know. Like I said, it wasn't very prominent. The fact that I couldn't even remember it is a good thing in my book.

I don't recall any previous trailers showing companions, If they did, they didn't specifically mention that they were active companions.
I guess you're right. There was combat and I just assumed that the allies were companions (because the previos games had companion/s also).

I picked up Technomancer last night. After reading that they did a lot of patches I felt the negative reviews might not be as accurate. So far I am enjoying it. Combat is fun for me and I like the story and characters. I don't think the VA is bad. I admit I also like doing the relationships and romances and finding out it had one also motivated me.

So if Greedfall is an improved fantasy version then I am in.

I actually liked Technomancer quite a lot. It's a bit quirky and lacks polish, but it's very original in many ways, which means I can cut it some slack. It's the main reason why I'm quite pumped for Greedfall - I don't mind a few issues here and there if they can make up for it in other ways.

If the game will follow previous designs, no NPC will force themselves on you like in Bioware's games. Which is a pity if you ask me. I'd make it mandatory.
While I pursue romances in almost every game where it's offered I wouldn't want it to be mandatory or forced.
What I'd wish for is some more realism in the way that feelings and relationships often are complicated. In most games you just can decide whom to romance and it will just work out as you desire.
The only two games I remember where not everything works as you want is BG2, where iirc Aerie leaves when you sleep with her too early, and your romantic partner being kidnapped, and Whitcher 3 where thing go bad if you try to get Triss and Yennerfer in bed together.

For example I'd like to have that when you're committed to a romantic partnership, another companion/npc falls in live for you as well and gets really jealous with serious consequences (especially if you hinted interest or even acted accordingly before). This could lead to the second companion just leaving the party or outright trying to kill you and your partner. Unrequited love is a strong motivation for extreme behaviour, especially with the "right" kind of person.
Imagine Jack from ME2 going really nuts with her biotic powers inside the Normandy. Could be a great side quest resulting in Shepard being forced to kill her.

Or on a lighter note if the protagonist sleeps around you're blocked from side-quests because the quest giver was your one-night-stand's husband/wife and found out.

So yes, more drama.

So they say that you can approach Quest Solutions in different ways like sneaking stealth or even disguise let's see how much that is actually implemented cuz this is spiders, and Mars war logs and technomancer were big disappointments that have tons of grinding.
I actually was not able to finish Mars War logs because I had to keep backtracking and it was spam spawning enemies non-stop turned into a grind Fest.
I think spiders always had bigger Ambitions than they had enough employees to accomplish it.
they're trying to make Gothic, Elex, Deus Ex type games with only like a few people.
This seems like it might be the same because it looks even more ambitious and the question is has their Studio grown enough to be able to handle it?
It would be nice but we'll have to see
I never finished technomancer, did it have grindy spam mobfights as well?
anybody who played it was it much less grinding and backtracking can you say?

Last edited:
I have to admit, it doesnt look bad. Till now I was avoiding their games. This one shows potential to change that.

I never finished technomancer but it did have grinds as well as anybody who played it was it much less grinding and backtracking can you say?
Hard to deduce what's the question here.
The game has a few spots you'll pass through often and it respawns trashmobs endlessly. Backtracking is never a problem, it's the damned respawns that ruin the game.
And when I say I'm sick of grinding everyone laughs at me.

It's not that I can't "win" the grind, my problem is I see it as a second job, annoying, boring and not fun a single bit. In case of Technomancer the reason I've accepted to be tortured was the story I was interested in (and the ending twist was worth it!).

I'm saying I finished the game. And it's one of good games in my book, would be 10x better if instarespawns weren't happening and I would be advertising it for centuries to everyone. Sadly, I can't.
Before you ask, no, back then there wasn't "no respawn" mod for it. Maybe one got made later.

Hard to deduce what's the question here.
The game has a few spots you'll pass through often and it respawns trashmobs endlessly. Backtracking is never a problem, it's the damned respawns that ruin the game.
And when I say I'm sick of grinding everyone laughs at me.

It's not that I can't "win" the grind, my problem is I see it as a second job, annoying, boring and not fun a single bit. In case of Technomancer the reason I've accepted to be tortured was the story I was interested in (and the ending twist was worth it!).

I'm saying I finished the game. And it's one of good games in my book, would be 10x better if instarespawns weren't happening and I would be advertising it for centuries to everyone. Sadly, I can't.
Before you ask, no, back then there wasn't "no respawn" mod for it. Maybe one got made later.

Totally agree with your viewpoint about grinding and respawns and I only started technomancer, but now I've started just to watch play through videos on YouTube of it instead of actually playing it.
So can skip through boring parts and just look at the interesting parts, I don't actually want to play through the grinding that they do like in Mars War logs- was unbelievable I also found Dragon Age pointless spam mob fights Became Non-Stop incredibly tedious and it was the only way to deal with Quests and became the only way to deal with Quests, one spam mob after another.
It made me quit the game after finishing like three of the area's, I could not finish it, just so repetitive and boring, same type of fights -tedium!

I didn't think the grinding in War Logs was that bad to be honest. Maybe I just didn't notice it because I was enjoying the setting so much. It was also a pretty short game by RPG standards.

Which Dragon Age are you referring to?

I can basically say ditto to almost everything @JDR13; said in his posts. I was surprised with the companions and romances too. It doesn't make me stop wanting the game, but it does make me slightly more wary. Romances are hardly ever done well, imo. I'm also not a big fan of pirates or ships in general.

Still, enough good stuff to at least buy the game. I'm probably not a day one purchaser, unless I'm really bored, but I'll definitely pick it up after some patches.

Back
Top Bottom