Non-RPG General News - Arkane is trying a radical new Approach

Dark Messiah, Arx and the Dishonoured games were all great games imo. I wish they were keeping to the same single player vein as well.

I didn't realize this new one was an MMO co-op… I might have tried it if it were local co-op, though even if it were that, it still doesn't look very compelling.

Oh well, I have a long queue of games to play that do look cool, so moving on from this.

Their loss, not mine. =)

Thanks! If there is a possibility to play it offline and single player, I will surely try it.
Yes the second assassin will be played by the game A.I instead.
I didn't realize this new one was an MMO co-op… I might have tried it if it were local co-op, though even if it were that, it still doesn't look very compelling
Hard to tell as early info suggests you can play solo but it's not the same as SP.

Their best amazing game forever was Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

DMoMM is probably my least favorite of their older games. I replayed it last year, and it hasn't aged well in some aspects.

It's still fun to play though. It lacks depth outside of combat, but the atmosphere still holds up.

I never did get around to trying out Dishonoured Two, one day I'll have to do that. The mmo approach to this new game is likely going to keep me far away from it.

Dark Messiah, Arx and the Dishonoured games were all great games imo. I wish they were keeping to the same single player vein as well.

I didn't realize this new one was an MMO co-op… I might have tried it if it were local co-op, though even if it were that, it still doesn't look very compelling.

Have you played Prey? If not, you should check that one out as well.

Redfall isn't a MMO. It's a 4 player co-op shooter. I'm expecting a modern Left 4 Dead or something similar. Disappointing either way.

Have you played Prey? If not, you should check that one out as well.

No, I've not tried Prey. Iirc, it looked a bit too shooter-like for my tastes. ... but looking at Steam reviews just now, maybe it's not quite that and deserves a second look. Wishlisted for now and maybe I'll check out a gameplay video or two.

I have no interest in an MMO or multiplayer shooter, even if it is by a developer whose games I have enjoyed.

Woah, did they not call it an immersive sim during the e3 brief? Do you have any source that it is doing a fortnite clone?

https://press-start.com.au/news/xbo...xclusive-from-arkane-to-sink-your-teeth-into/
It's a multiplayer four person Co-op game.

Read the first word as that's what is being called.
Redfall blends single- and multiplayer options seamlessly
Link - https://www.polygon.com/e3/22525012...oter-multiplayer-trailer-release-date-e3-2021
This team has made great single-player games that don’t immediately make you think, “These guys should make a multiplayer shooter next,” at least on paper. That leaves the door open for plenty of surprises, and maybe even for some of Arkane’s creative mechanics and complex level design to make its way into the studio’s upcoming multiplayer title.
Sure you can solo but it wont be made for it. As for fortnite I was referring to the online aspect and the way they decided to model the four playable characters.

Anyway I also expect this to play like Left4Dead which sucked solo.

Last edited:
How are these games "woke" (which is not of interested to me) ? Are there SJW vibes with these new games? Or am I not understanding the use of Woke in this thread... Disco Elysium and a few others come to mind...

Having said that, the Dishonored series is one of my all times and maintains excellent story and gameplay from the first game through each expansion and sequel. Will replay it all again after I finish my Thief series replay.

I remember being disappointed about Dark Messiah when it was announced, after having played Arx. They wanted to release a more commercial action game with a known IP in the title (is there actually a connection?) and it kinda worked, they stayed a company, and in spite of (or because of) being bought by Bethesda, they released my beloved above mentioned series, and Prey, which I've heard good things about and it's on my list. (And Dark Messiah is great fun)

We've said it before (cough Obsidian) maybe this commercial venture will lead to and fund more of what most of us prefer in the future

I highly doubt this developer will ever make another Dishonored again. So no I don't see this commercial venture leading to Microsoft to funding more of what most of us prefer.

The article I shared two years ago went in-depth about the changes.

I remember being disappointed about Dark Messiah when it was announced, after having played Arx. They wanted to release a more commercial action game with a known IP in the title (is there actually a connection?) and it kinda worked, they stayed a company, and in spite of (or because of) being bought by Bethesda, they released my beloved above mentioned series, and Prey, which I've heard good things about and it's on my list. (And Dark Messiah is great fun)

Regarding the M&M connection in Dark Messiah.. there's no direct connection to other games plot-wise, but it takes place in Ashan which is also the setting for HoMM V, VI, and VII as well as M&M X.

I highly doubt this developer will ever make another Dishonored again. So no I don't see this commercial venture leading to Microsoft to funding more of what most of us prefer.

The article I shared two years ago went in-depth about the changes.

Ah yes, who could forget that shared article from two years ago?

I loved Dark Messiah. One of the only games I played through twice.

Prey was fantastic too.

But never got around to Dishonored 1 or 2. The brutal killing was a turnoff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom