RPGWatch Feature - Divinity: Original Sin Preview

Video referred to IS great. These guys really know how to do good PR - gameplay focused and quick to the point.

Here's a link:

http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com/movies.php

U7 inventory was absolutely horrible to find things in full containers because of overlapping and hidden items. DD 1 had the same issue. Don't need THAT kind of realism in my RPG...

At the risk of repeating what has already been said and sounding redundant, I am very pleased to hear this news. I read of it yesterday, but made no comment until now. With Larian already being my current "favorite" studio, this is an absolute joy to behold.

Is Divinity 2 worth playing? Loved Divine Divinity even though it ran out of steam in the end game. The Skeletons talking themselves out of existence ranks as one of the most memorable moments I have seen in a game.

I never played Beyond Divinity due to bad reviews, and given Larians own thoughts on the game, that probably won't change. I never played Divinity 2, again due to bad reviews, and I worried about the console focus hurting the game. I've also heard it got better with patches though.

Nice just a shame about the cartoony WOW graphics.

Is Divinity 2 worth playing?

I'm totally biased, so: Hell yes!

Get the DKS package. Flame of Vengeance is better, but you need to play the whole game to understand what is going on in the expansion. The first part of Divinity 2 is pretty fun as well, it's just the fortress assault gameplay that become repetitive at some point, although the DKS version is a less annoying than the vanilla one.

The Skeletons talking themselves out of existence ranks as one of the most memorable moments I have seen in a game.

DII got the power rangers...

Divinity 2: DKS still ranks as one of my favorite ARPGs in the last few years. I have beaten it 3 times and this newsbit has actually made me want to give it a run once again. Soundtrack, atmosphere, world design, dragon combat, and the sense of humor in the dialog made it top my list.

Well, I HOPE the combat and inventory management is not dreadful like U7. :p

I actually liked U7s inventory system back in the day. Back then, seeing a computer simulate anything in a realistic way was 'super awesome.' But I agree now, when I replay U7, that without the thrill of the 'newness' of such a capability by a computer, the U7 inventory system is very cumbersome.

From the screenshots and videos however, the inventory system looks streamlined where each item gets its own 'cell' within a container and should keep things from jumbling up sparing us lost seconds and minutes here and there moving things around trying to find something.

If I remember correctly in U7 there were even several places where important objects were intentionally hidden beneath other items.

Back to the Original Sin - so much good news in one game is unbearable, I'll preorder on sight! :)

If I remember correctly in U7 there were even several places where important objects were intentionally hidden beneath other items

Yes, that is fine in the world, but not in my inventory or storage.

From the screenshots and videos however, the inventory system looks streamlined where each item gets its own 'cell' within a container and should keep things from jumbling up sparing us lost seconds and minutes here and there moving things around trying to find something.

Yeah I saw that too, and hope it ends up like that when released. :)

If I remember correctly in U7 there were even several places where important objects were intentionally hidden beneath other items.

Like keys...

Although, I expect the same thing in DDOS, because you can move most of the objects around.

Looking forward to another solid Larian product. This could the the one to rule them all!

Like keys…

Although, I expect the same thing in DDOS, because you can move most of the objects around.

They hid keys under stuff in Divinity 2 also. It's a thing they do.

Divinity 2: DKS still ranks as one of my favorite ARPGs in the last few years. I have beaten it 3 times and this newsbit has actually made me want to give it a run once again. Soundtrack, atmosphere, world design, dragon combat, and the sense of humor in the dialog made it top my list.

Never played it, however I've just bought it on the recent Amazon $5.99 deal, so will look forward to giving it a go!

Daniel.

Divine Divinity + Turn based Combat... Superb!!!

Or does player always control the one picked in the beginning, while the other one is always computer controlled (or silent in pc-npc interactions)? Or? :)

I'd be surprised if you couldn't switch back and forth between the main characters.

Second, I am only interested in the single player. I'll have to wait and see how much the focus on multi-player and co-op affects the gameplay in the single player mode.

Lar tweeted "Yes, the game is very much intended to be played in single player, offline, but when you want up to 4 can play together" in response to a similar question.

Is Divinity 2 worth playing?

Yes. There is a demo for DKS, if you want to check it out.

I posted a description / comparison of Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity and (to a lesser extent) Divinity 2 in the Larian forum topic Beyond Divinity available for download.

Divine Divinity Vs Divinity 2

Lar tweeted "Yes, the game is very much intended to be played in single player, offline, but when you want up to 4 can play together" in response to a similar question.

I know you can play it single player, but I am still not convinced the focus on co-op will not hurt the single player experience. Being turn based should help in that regard (no need to control multiple characters in real time). Name me the games that had multi-player as a main focus that had awesome single player experiences. I hope they pull it off.

As I said I am looking forward to the game and will no doubt buy it, I am just keeping my expectations in check.

Back
Top Bottom