RPGWatch - Game of the Year 2012 Awards

I can't understand how can someone consider KoA great game,combat is mediocore compared to similar type games(Darksriders,DMC),empty world with MMO like map and quests and lack of challenge(I died only 2 time on hard during whole game).I think game is far behind Darksriders 2 which is similar but in nearly all ways better,very good level, puzzles and bosses design,combat is miles ahead,artwork is also good with very detailed models,dialogs and characters are also decent(especially main character).I consider KoA my worst spent money in 2012.

I think that there is a mod fix for the low difficulty problem to stop enemies from being a notch higher than you when you enter an area the first time. I only played the KoA demo and enjoyed it a bit, but I am interested to know what makes Darksiders 2 combat better than KoA's?

Also in terms of scale, world, lore and quests, I would think that KoA would be better!

I think that there is a mod fix for the low difficulty problem to stop enemies from being a notch higher than you when you enter an area the first time. I only played the KoA demo and enjoyed it a bit, but I am interested to know what makes Darksiders 2 combat better than KoA's?

Also in terms of scale, world, lore and quests, I would think that KoA would be better!

It's not. They aren't the same type of game at all. Darksiders 2 you play as the main guy, no options when you start. You don't create your character at all. They are not similar games at all so I'm a bit baffled by how he compares them.

There is much larger virility of moves,combos and abilities available during combat and there is actual need to use them efficiently.KoA does have better lore,but each quest is go to marker location and kill everything there or kill certain number of things,in Darksriders 2 each instance has good measure of combat,platforming and puzzles,there aren't many side quests in DR2 but those are some of most interesting instances in game.Loot is better in KoA but that is area where both games are weak.

It's not. They aren't the same type of game at all. Darksiders 2 you play as the main guy, no options when you start. You don't create your character at all. They are not similar games at all so I'm a bit baffled by how he compares them.

They have their differences but combat in KoA and gearing character feels more similar to darksriders than any other game in my recent memory.

Sorry, but comparing Reckoning to Darksiders is completely insane. They're not even games in the same genre.

You say Darksiders has better combat, but of course! It's an action game, of course an action game is going to have more visceral combat than an RPG. That said, the combat in Reckoning is no slouch either. It's the closest RPG combat has come to the exciting and visceral experience of an action game. Thankfully, Reckoning is much more of an RPG than an action game.

Reckoning never meant to compete with Darksiders. Trust me, I followed Amalur closely for a solid year before it was released. Reckoning was made FOR and BY hardcore RPG people. Darksiders is an action/adventure type game, not an RPG.

I think I'll abstain from voting. I simply haven't played enough of the games listed to really have an adequate grasp on the competition.

Calling KoA an RPG is an insult to RPGs. But that's another thread.

How so? It is much more an rpg then Dark souls.

Nothing is the same about draksiders 2 and amular sorry.

How ironic then that KoA turned out to be anything but hardcore. :)

So true - felt more like a 'designed by committee for the the console action-RPG short attention span crowd'.

KoA was marketed as having FANTASTIC SUPER DUPER combat, and yet it was nothing special. So, I wouldn't say it's a natural assumption that Darksiders has better combat.

KoA was made by people with no concept of a "hardcore" RPG for people with no interest in a hardcore RPG.

I'm sure there are people who consider it hardcore - just as there are people who consider Avatar a masterpiece in plot and characterization.

Sorry, but comparing Reckoning to Darksiders is completely insane. They're not even games in the same genre.

You say Darksiders has better combat, but of course! It's an action game, of course an action game is going to have more visceral combat than an RPG. That said, the combat in Reckoning is no slouch either. It's the closest RPG combat has come to the exciting and visceral experience of an action game. Thankfully, Reckoning is much more of an RPG than an action game.
Both are action games with some RPG elements,stats on gear and skill trees are similar,KoA is more open and some quests have minor choices.I think they would have been better with more closed world if they have nothing to fill it with.

Trust me, I followed Amalur closely for a solid year before it was released. Reckoning was made FOR and BY hardcore RPG people. Darksiders is an action/adventure type game, not an RPG.

KoA is pretty casual game(same as darksiders).Anyway I probably shouldn't mention Darksriders 2 because while it's fun game it has no place in game of year thread but neither does KoA.

On topic: I voted KB:WotN and first and DS as second choice for RPG of the year and Avernum and ToME for indies.But I feel that 2012 has been more fruitful for strategies and adventures.

Back
Top Bottom