Any Idea for those riddles?

Well let us know what comes of it. Personally I would use the levitate stuff and type None, I float. But I bet you get a clue somewhere in there, they always do, just have to keep looking. Just save before using those items. ;)

WOW, do all of us not miss these kinds of games? when was the last time a game had a riddle so hard we had to put our heads togheter to try to solve it? hmm I am thinking about getting that game Citadel sounds cool!

I'm just amazed the answer doesn't seem to be out there on the vast Web. A bit of humble pie, too, that a board full of old skool RPGers can't solve a single @#$%^@ riddle.

The nest thing you could try is asking a the rpgcodex. I once asked about a 30 year old game I played for like 5 minutes or so but since the net wasn't invented back then, I couldn't go any further. The answer came prompt: Colossal Cave...

I bet some of those guys over at the codex would know the answer...

WOW, do all of us not miss these kinds of games? when was the last time a game had a riddle so hard we had to put our heads togheter to try to solve it? hmm I am thinking about getting that game Citadel sounds cool!

I remember playing "Martian Dreams", there was a place where I had to enter some time of day (AFAIR). But I couldn't find out how to enter it. Tried different formats, to no avail. Found out after literally trying for weeks. One of the most exciting games I've ever played.

My first RPG was Bard's tale 2. I spent 1 year playing that one. I found it very difficult. Spinners in total dark. The "Herbs" that always started at 60-70'. And multiplied as they came closer. And multiplied......

The nest thing you could try is asking a the rpgcodex. I once asked about a 30 year old game I played for like 5 minutes or so but since the net wasn't invented back then, I couldn't go any further. The answer came prompt: Colossal Cave...

I bet some of those guys over at the codex would know the answer...
Nice but this site has a link in case you forgot your password, here they require the email AND the userid.... If you try register again using your email then they refuse because there's already a userid for this email....

So those people think you could forgot your password but they never imagine you can forget your userid!!! :lol:

Sorry but that's a band of i....s that manage this c..p. (free riddle, let name it riddle 3 :p )

Last edited:

I have made a zip package ready to use to play Citadel on both Mac or PC. That's a very simple install. This package size is 5.1Mb but it includes the PDF manual and the two large snapshots of the code wheel.

You can get it at: http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=8OHB81QE
Quote to admins: If quoting this url is against rules, please remove the url and instead: Just send me a PM with your email if you went that I send you a link to this pack.

Are you sure the game is officially abandonware?

Are you sure the game is officially abandonware?

Are you sure any game is officially abandonware? This one is get from underdog affiliate, Mac Garden. Do you want we review all links quoted in this topic?

PS: I'd love buy again this game or any port of it and its hint book too. :biggrin:

No need to get fussy, I'm just asking. If it made it to an Underdogs affiliate, chances are good nobody's got a problem with it being there.

No need to get fussy, I'm just asking. If it made it to an Underdogs affiliate, chances are good nobody's got a problem with it being there.
Fussy? Sorry if I hurt, I didn't wanted to.

I'd prefer people PM for a link, simply because I'm hesitant to post links to any dubious site. It's borderline, so I'd like an admin ruling if possible.

Why would someone want to spend 5 days solving a riddle in a game ?
I have to do that in uni, I want my games to be fun, entertaining and enjoyable, not head-breaking.
I know it feels nice to solve something after you've tried for a long long time, but doing it in a game to advance from one place to the other just seems crazy in my not too humble opinion :p

Some people just like it that way. They want a kind of challence.

Riddles often have something to do with immersion - the kind of bind the player to the game ...

In The Hobbit, the riddles could've been left out, too ... But they were in, as a part of the scenery ...

Why would someone want to spend 5 days solving a riddle in a game ?
I have to do that in uni, I want my games to be fun, entertaining and enjoyable, not head-breaking.
I know it feels nice to solve something after you've tried for a long long time, but doing it in a game to advance from one place to the other just seems crazy in my not too humble opinion :p

Nobody spend 5 days into a single riddle. There are parts of the Citadel to explore without finding the 2 riddles. I did exploring in parallel until I found the riddle 2. It's perhaps possible to finish the game without to solve it but it won't be easy.

Once I found the riddle 2 I explored more and found more problems to solve some nice tricks. It's quite clear that it's important to find this riddle 2 but for riddle 1 I think there's no solution or it's not that important to find it.

It's also clear that those 2 riddles aren't well done but also it's even more clear that now many players play games with one eye on the game and another eye on the walkthrough, that make them quite lazy and used to get feed like little birds. :)

Nobody spend 5 days into a single riddle. There are parts of the Citadel to explore without finding the 2 riddles. I did exploring in parallel until I found the riddle 2. It's perhaps possible to finish the game without to solve it but it won't be easy.

Once I found the riddle 2 I explored more and found more problems to solve some nice tricks. It's quite clear that it's important to find this riddle 2 but for riddle 1 I think there's no solution or it's not that important to find it.

It's also clear that those 2 riddles aren't well done but also it's even more clear that now many players play games with one eye on the game and another eye on the walkthrough, that make them quite lazy and used to get feed like little birds. :)
Well, I'm almost ashamed to say I'm like that... now. Back in the day I would spend days, even weeks, to solve a puzzle. Zork 1, Quest for Glory 2 and Space Quest comes to mind. But nowadays, I don't have that much patience, maybe because there are so many other games to play (back then I would have THE one game I was playing), or maybe because there just wan't an Internet back then so the most I could do was ask friends to see if they could figure the problem out.
But yes, I would like more riddle based games instead of the usual trend of stupid jumping sequences.

Well, I'm almost ashamed to say I'm like that... now. Back in the day I would spend days, even weeks, to solve a puzzle. Zork 1, Quest for Glory 2 and Space Quest comes to mind. But nowadays, I don't have that much patience, maybe because there are so many other games to play (back then I would have THE one game I was playing), or maybe because there just wan't an Internet back then so the most I could do was ask friends to see if they could figure the problem out.
But yes, I would like more riddle based games instead of the usual trend of stupid jumping sequences.
I know we all became a bit like that, I do too. But for me there is ton of game I enjoy play. Most just don't appeal me anymore I don't even attempt try them and among those I'm still playing it's almost only CRPG and there isn't a very good CRPG released every month.

About Citadel, the two riddles I quoted seems to me not that good. But all other puzzling I found are great. Nothing as difficult like those riddles and at this point I haven't see more direct riddles like the 2 I quoted. It's just plenty tricks to find, and the hints are very well done and the difficulty very average and often it's juts easy thing to notice. I also enjoy a lot the diversity, objects use, world interaction, levels links (holes, elevator, multiple stairs), some secrets, some tricky progression, and some cool little tricks about party swapping. I even had to left my party already split because all split was stuck and had to take a rescue team to save my party, really great.

Do you still have the wheel decoder that came with the game? Maybe that holds some answers.

http://mac.the-underdogs.info/index.php?show=game&id=479
I don't see how, in the page at Mac Garden there's the 2 snapshots of the code wheel, to see both you only need refresh the page.

This code wheel is more items like swords, armors and so on a box number from 1 to 5 and a letter.

Anyway I have to admit it, at this point I give up for riddle 1. I could have even found the secret it opens through another way. Plus I don't see this riddle blocking the way to the end.

Back
Top Bottom