KotOR - iPad Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Apparently Bioware's 10 year old Knights of the Old Republic has been ported to the iPad and IGN has a review of it in which they award it an 8.8. As could be expected of a PC to iPad port some of the controls don't work out too well
If the new controls have one Achilles' Heel, though, it’s in the movement. Running from place to place involves dragging and then holding a finger to guide your Jedi in the proper direction. This inevitably blocks a significant chunk of the screen with your hand, and worse yet, makes for awkward running in general. It was not uncommon to find myself hitting pieces of the environment or my fellow party members, and then needing to turn and fumble my way out of that spot. This isn’t a problem during combat, at least, since movement is automated. A trio of brief turret sequences present similar imprecision, since tapping to shoot and dragging to move can’t be done simultaneously. A virtual stick may have actually been preferable in this case.
More information.

So apparently the Aspyr leak was correct ... Can't wait to play!

Good news but from the sound of it unplayable due to control problems. Hopefully they patch it to work better.

wouldn't it be more correct to say xbox to pc to ipad port?

Warhammer Quest released on same day for iOS.

Board games I always thought would work well on the fondle slabs.

Good news but from the sound of it unplayable due to control problems. Hopefully they patch it to work better.

Not at all 'unplayable'. KotOR is not an action game, so while the control method is a bit odd (you are using a center-to-side finger motion to steer your character) it is certainly no worse than dealing with shooters on the iPad. And once into dialogue and combat ... no issue at all.

You just need 4.4GB free on your iPad - 1.8GB for download and 2.5 for install. (gets freed after install).

Movement was always a bit clunky in KotOR.

Not at all 'unplayable'. KotOR is not an action game, so while the control method is a bit odd (you are using a center-to-side finger motion to steer your character) it is certainly no worse than dealing with shooters on the iPad. And once into dialogue and combat … no issue at all.

You just need 4.4GB free on your iPad - 1.8GB for download and 2.5 for install. (gets freed after install).
Thanks for the clarification. My family bought one for my b-day and I rarely use it. Now I can.

I gave up playing BGEE on the iPad because I found the touch controls too tedious. Kotor's controls sound even worse so this is a no buy for me I'll stick to the pc version.

I guess touch screen gaming just isn't for me but I bought my ipad for content delivery anyway, not gaming.

Too bad they don't support a Bluetooth mouse for iPad but apples never really been a company to give there customer choice on how to use there products.

I allready have plenty of ipad games that have "controls that dont work well". I think I will skip this.

Obviously that is your choice, but I think the controls thing is overblown ... let me put it this way - this is about a MILLION times better than NWN2 controls when it came out ...

Other stuff:
- Full port
- Graphics look great
- Performance is excellent
- No crashes in a few hours of playing

Wonder which resolution the game will use on the retinas.

Back
Top Bottom