What are you reading?

Hard to believe that it has been ten years since Name of the Wind was released. I bought the tenth anniversary edition last month, and have been reading it for the past three days. If we ever get the third book, this could be the best series of all time.

One NOT to recommend, “Corsair” by James L. Cambias, to quote my goodreads review:

“Seriously seriously disappointing. Cardboard, cliched characters, obvious “tricks”, plot holes, hackneyed geek wish fulfilment fantasies, unbelievable police processes, naive good & evil, simplistic motivations, etc. etc. etc. That’s twice I’ve read work by Cambias and I should have paid attention to my notes from the first time, and this was worse.”

Just finished “Hunger Makes the Wolf” by Alex Wells

Wow!!! Amazing world building, kicka**e heroine (sort of), excellent science fiction, even some grounded magic realism fantasy, great ideas, companies vs workers (sort of).....
Wow!!! In case it wasn’t clear, WOW!!!!

The Shining Girls, by Lauren Beukes I wasn't sure about this one at first since it's a mix of a lot of genres, but I'm enjoying it so far. A time traveling serial killer is a really interesting hook.

I finished Ranger Games by Ben Blum last night, and just wow. I remember hearing about the incident when it occurred, but all the stuff happening behind the scenes I had no idea about. A great story on how a two minute crime touched so many lives.

Almost done with "Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich" by Norman Ohler. Very interesting read but go in this with a great deal of skepticism. The author is not a historian, and I think it shows as he speculates wildly, resulting in correlation/causation traps, as he seemingly wants to attribute drug use as the primary fuel for both the rise and fall of the Third Reich.

That must have been some pretty bad acid.

That must have been some pretty bad acid.

Some really horrendous stuff. Towards the end of the war, the Navy came up with these 'mini-uboats' staffed by 2 or 3 Hitler Youth. These 15/16 year old kids were given a ton of cocaine-spiked chewing gum or various pills such as Pervitin or even some sort of drastic cocktail of cocaine, meth, and Eukodal (a really potent opiate); and then just shipped out with minimal training. They were expected to somehow make it close to Allied shipping targets, let loose a torpedo, and then rush back to port. Needless to say, it was a disaster.

Interesting. I might take a look. Shame the writer gets a bit sloppy, as you say.

Reread Red Rising over the past three days, and have the second book requested. Now back to the Wise Man's Fears, although I've read the first book five times, this is only my second trip through book two. What an excellent pair of books, hopefully it will become a trilogy before I perish.

Just finished the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle. For some reason I expected it to be hard work, but the stories actually crack along at a great pace and are very easy reading. I enjoyed it more than I expected.

Before that I was reading Oblivion by Arnaldur Indridason, an Icelandic author of detective stories. A good read with interesting characters, but I didn't think the overall plot was as engaging as some of his other novels.

Golden Son was a good follow-up to Red Rising, I'd never read the sequel before and now I've requested the next book in that series. In the meantime, a friend had suggested a novel called Renegades, which is based in a future time period where people with superhuman abilities are not exactly rare, and are basically running a large city. Quite interesting so far, I'm about half way through and really hoping there is a sequel to this one in the future.

I Just finished Mister Memory. This is a brilliant book!

I'm a huge Stephen Donaldson fan, well, at least the Chronicles series, so I thought I'd give his newest book a spin, Seventh Decimate. Some of it was predictable, but I enjoyed the world and I'll really be eager to see where the second book of the series goes. If you enjoy Donaldson, you may like this new series.

Ursula K Le Guin died this past week. One of my favorite authors when I was a teen. :(

The Lathe of Heaven actually freaked me out when I read it! (Was smoking too much weed LOL.)

Back
Top Bottom