Queen's Wish: The Conqueror - Nothing new (engine wise) from Spiderweb

Why are there two threads discussing Jeff's kickstarter simultaneously?
Because this thread was made before the news-bit was posted a few hours later. It's the same the new Fallout game as it has two threads, and two news-bits.

I'm a bit disappointed. I've definitely liked his game, and I think the graphics have been just fine. You might say I'm a fan ( but I'm not a fanboy).

But this doesn't appeal to me. If this is the new engine, it's a change for the worse in my opinion. The other stuff? I don't like building houses and fortresses and whatever in RPG's (Settlements was something I completely ignored in FO4). So if this is to be an important part of it, I'll pass. It might be the first Spiderweb game I don't buy.

pibbur who for the moment is not tempted to back it, but still wishes mr Vogel the best of luck.

Because this thread was made before the news-bit was posted a few hours later. It's the same the new Fallout game as it has two threads, and two news-bits.

And both games are so revolutionary by today's standards that they need not one, but TWO threads in order to get fully covered :p :p

A meh for this game. And a meh for the new Fallout 2. And let's not forget a third "meh" for Rage 2.

Oh please, CDPR, can't you hurry and release Cyberpunk 2077 so soon?

So… uh… rather than going for an isometric look he's going for a that half-flat RPGMaker perspective?

Well looks like he's going for a more Exile (which was his first set of games) type perspective, which I'm all for. I just wish it looked better.

I suspect it has something to do with it being easier to code, especially for mobile.

Here's some old Exile art:

gfs_29430_2_1.jpg

63-014_exileLP_062.png

I'm good with this type of graphics on mobile. In fact its ideal. But the right hand side is too much for a mobile screen - that should be kept separate.

But I can't get into Jeff's games on PC. I never have.

Well looks like he's going for a more Exile (which was his first set of games) type perspective, which I'm all for. I just wish it looked better.

I suspect it has something to do with it being easier to code, especially for mobile.

Here's some old Exile art:

gfs_29430_2_1.jpg

63-014_exileLP_062.png

Certainly not what I expected when the Kick Starter project was announced. If Vogel really wanted to up his game and change a few things, I just don't see how this accomplishes it, unless there are more changes coming. This feels more like half a step back than anything forward.

But don't you guys keep saying its not about the graphics. People have always told me here Jeff's games have amazing depth.

All I can say is this: I consider myself one of Spiderweb's biggest fans and supporters, and this newest project was a let down. Sure I'll still play it, and again I'm hoping maybe more changes will be announced, but it all seems like a squandered chance to me at the moment.

But don't you guys keep saying its not about the graphics. People have always told me here Jeff's games have amazing depth.

It's not so much the "fidelity" of the graphics. All his games are playable and graphics are good enough. It's just that the art in the KS video has no consistent art direction.

Some things are plainly 2D as if painted digitally, while other things seem to be pre-rendered 3D. Also, the color palette is all over the place. You have some assets that have extremely bright colors while others are faded out and muted. Oftentimes within the same type of texture.

It leaves the whole thing feeling disjointed. His previous artist was better IMO.

I hate this so much! Lazy pitch, downgraded graphics, boring concept, and the only new feature mentioned is settlement building. Sorry Vogel, but I can't support this garbage.

It’s just your typical whine-a-thon nothing to see here. Funding is almost double the ask so take the negativity for what it’s worth

I like the graphics in Avadon and the latest Avernum incarnations are fine, and I do think the games have great depth.

But the graphics shown seems to me to be a step back, after what he has said about a new engine, I didn't expect that. And the new feature, settlement building? I don't like that, not at all. All in all, my overall feeling is disappointment, which makes me not looking forward to it.

pibbur who may change his mind when he sees the finished game. And who tends to repeat himself.

Healthruwords.com_-_Inspirational_Images_-_Mental-Negativity.jpg

I’m not going to bother getting in a pissing match with you. We all have our opinions - do and say whatever you like.

I’m not going to bother getting in a pissing match with you. We all have our opinions - do and say whatever you like.

For the record. I wasn't directing what I wrote towards you. And my feelings are just feelings, nothing more, nothing less.

pibbur who so far has bought every game released by the spiderweb.

For the record. I wasn't directing what I wrote towards you. And my feelings are just feelings, nothing more, nothing less.

pibbur who so far has bought every game released by the spiderweb.

wasn't directed at you at all. I don't love the campaign either but he's no marketing genius so I'm hardly surprised. Graphics are simply passable as always. I'm looking forward to the new gameplay mechanics and story. This he can deliver and the funding was for art assets so the video may not reflect final product anyway.

As an aside - how are we certain its not a new engine? Has that been explicitly mentioned? He is clearly recycling art assets (including fonts & icons) from his other products minimally for the pitch but I'm not clear why people would assume that means its the same game engine. And if he is funding for art assets why people are taking what they are seeing as final product. But that's Jeff's fault to a good extent - he should plainly state the condition of the art we are seeing as well as the engine.

I just posted a comment on the kick starter itself, I tried to be nice and hopeful, but it was something I had to restrain myself on. I really wanted to lecture and harangue the entire team, but I didn't think anything good would result. I'm still hopeful that we might see some progress on the game systems before the launch actually occurs.

As an aside - how are we certain its not a new engine? Has that been explicitly mentioned? He is clearly recycling art assets (including fonts & icons) from his other products minimally for the pitch but I'm not clear why people would assume that means its the same game engine. And if he is funding for art assets why people are taking what they are seeing as final product. But that's Jeff's fault to a good extent - he should plainly state the condition of the art we are seeing as well as the engine.

Guess the answer to that is in our other thread:
https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1061506682

Back
Top Bottom