Realms Beyond - Kickstarter Live

Someone backed for €5000 in the first several hours

Yeah, would be interesting to know who that was and what kind of secret society they might want to make. (Might be this is not allowed to make pubic without consent.)

Could be a rich individual or one of the dev studios who gave shoutouts. Some Codexers were also eyeing this pledge, but I guess they were too late.

Funding your own campaign is against the Kickstarter terms of service. Many projects have been cancelled in the past for doing this.

I'm not sure how easy that is to control, especially if it goes through a relative or a "friend." However, it could easily be someone close to the project acting as an "investor" or a studio, as developers have given big pledges to kickstarters in the past.

Yeah, would be interesting to know who that was and what kind of secret society they might want to make. (Might be this is not allowed to make pubic without consent.)

That person played our game at the Gamescom for hours. And liked it, obviously :D

Is anyone working on this that was affiliated with The Red Hand of Doom mod? I'm not asking to start trouble, just genuinely curious because that was a great mod that never got finished, and seems somewhat similar to this game. The latest update was interesting and I do have some interest in this game if it gets funded.

There are many games out there that are voiced and they are always better than they would be, if there weren't voised.
The opinion that games are better with no voice is somewhat…eccentric.
Voice and music gives atmosfere in games.
I will never bother to play a game with no voice when there are so many similar or better games voiced!!
They must put a goal for voice cover. I will buck them, if they do that.
I will not bother with the game if they do not!!

You sir, need to play Two Worlds and laugh hilariously at the badly done VA.

Also, I disagree in that not wanting VA is eccentric. A lot of games didn’t have VA in the older era, and they really didn’t need it. And there a lot of us who grew up in that time who still enjoy games now. I’m not against VA, but to say it’s always needed or always an added plus IS an eccentric thing to say IMO.

Last edited:
I'm just looking at the Kickstarter page, and it suddenly reminds me a bit of Herokon.

Sad that that game was never finished. It was an online game for Aventuria programmed in Flash, if I remember correctly.

You sir, need to play Two Worlds and laugh hilariously at the badly done VA.

Also, I disagree in that not wanting VA is eccentric. A lot of games didn’t have VA in the older era, and they really didn’t need it. And there a lot of us who grew up in that time who still enjoy games now. I’m not against VA, but to say it’s always needed or always an added plus IS an eccentric thing to say IMO.

Well, I'll use a metaphor to help you think reasonably.

If you like frites fries, you know that with no salt they are awful.
If you put a mediocre quality or even cheap salt, the are Ok, not as good as with natural salt with minerals but ok.
None salt, is not an option.
Period.
End.

Posting a screenshot consisting of a combination of screenshots from the Codex that appear to be partially incomplete, have no reference to the sources they are derived from and don’t have any context is a bit lame and more importantly against the TOS. I deleted the posts because of that.

So let’s get back to the Kickstarter discussion.

Last edited:
Voice acting is not as important in this type of game. Average Steam Joe won't buy this type of game because of it. It can even harm it: like with Pillars, really poor combination of amateur writing and disruptive voice acting.
However it can help a lot, if used right.
Go with it like Baldur's Gate: for every npc, fully voiced opening line, then without it...except for more dramatic, direct scenes ( without any descriptives, metaphors, etc)
Grunts for non descript npcs.
Also I recommend checking out some non expensive talent from modding community, there are some that really stand out.

Aryes Grace, Yui Hisiashi, few people from Interesting NPCs ( Skyrim mod, etc), etc.

I would back this, but I only have a 25 dollar bill, and it's still a little moist. Still, they should be able to pass it off to somebody...

I don't think VA is important. The lack of VA isn't putting off potential backers. I think most people just like multiplayer games more. Sure, you see a lot of people commenting on RPGwatch who care about non-combat things like storyline, voice overs to enjoy them with and disappointed if it's not single-player only but as we can see from the slowly progressing kickstarter that's really not many people. Relaunch the kickstarter with a Battle Royale mode and you might have a hope of being in Steams top 20 most played games.

The fan base Larian had from a few Divinity games wasn't alone enough to attract almost $1m in crowd-funding for DOS. I think the co-op multiplayer played a big part.

I think the backers of Star Citizen wanted the MMORPG of their dreams more than a spaceship game. As infinite in scope and content as a galaxy.

D&D computer games are completely dead these days. D&D tabletop is entirely a multiplayer experience. Without multiplayer you won't get tabletop groups all buying the game to play together.

There are people playing the BG enhanced editions online right now and they're all passworded rooms. Mostly with 2 players.

That's just my take on things, anyway. The game looks fantastic to me and I'm just trying to work out why it's failing to meet it's funding goal.

So, what happens to the game when the kickstarter fails? It's been a week. Chris Taylor was freaking out and crying on Mattchat after around this long for the Wildman KS. How you guys holding up? Are you going to cry on mattchat? xD

That person played our game at the Gamescom for hours. And liked it, obviously :D

I whish I could afford a tavern. Btw i made some advertisement for the game in German PnP RPG boards eg tanelorn.net y orkenspalter.de

So you translate the game also in Chinese. Do you have a link into the Chinese RPG Community?

Maybe a exclusive spanish tweet might stir the interest in the latin speaking world ?

So you translate the game also in Chinese. Do you have a link into the Chinese RPG Community?

The KS page has been translated by a fan (who is into that scene), but we're still evaluating a Chinese version. Hopefully it will work out - the recent 3.5e game on Steam (Low Magic Age) is made by Chinese developers, so it seems they actually like D&D.

Back
Top Bottom