Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
One thing I love about the new DLC is trying out new classes and races. I made a half-orc Slayer. I would never make that race/class combo if I could only make one character.

I made a 5 person party for my adventure. Paladin, Slayer, Cleric, Ranger/Rogue, and Sorcerer. I think the Slayer is my favorite one in the group.

What's Slayer like?? Give us some nice preview on the class! :D

@Pongo; I don't know if I'd play a pure rogue but they're one of those classes where just 2 levels for evasion can be worth adding to a multiclass build like a couple of monk levels for AC from Wis or paladin for saves from Cha.

In Pathfinder and 3.5 rogues are very capable party members if they are built right. Sneak attack damage gets to a very solid amount. I think a dip into duelist and "Accomplished Sneak Attacker" feat to ensure sneak attack stays at max should work out well.

The other option is to take one level of rogue (and pick up the sneak attacker feat) and 3 levels wizard and then go arcane trickster for 10 levels and the rest back to wizard. That combination has basically full spell progression and sneak attack damage on spells.

What's Slayer like?? Give us some nice preview on the class! :D

I made the Slayer into a 2-handed weapon master. He uses a maul because I want the blunt damage. Uses medium armor since I like him to move fast in battle. I would say he's a mix between a ranger and a weapon master with sneak attacks thrown in. He does some very nice damage. I have his strength as the highest stat and con and dex just below strength.

He almost seems like a berserk ranger which I like a lot since he's a half-orc.

I think I might start this soon to see if it is any good. Is there anything I absolutely must know before I start. I mean I don't want to spoil the game but sometime there are things one really should know in advance... Also should I play on easy, normal, hard, ... ??

I would play on normal but go through the settings so you can customize a few things that you enjoy more. For example, I play where a full rest clears all bad conditions. Just seems like busy work to me if that's not checked.

I used a monk for my first run through of the main campaign. PF monks are great - there flurry has almost not attack penalty compared to a regular fighter and they get immunity to poison, disease as well as magic resistance etc as they level. The ki point pool is also very cool +1 melee attack at highest bonus, or host of other abilities. Their blows can also get through DR magic/cold iron/silver/adamantine as they level…in PF P&P game you can cast align weapon on their hands, but I don't think that works in the game (or there is no spell?). One negative - they only do bludgeoning damage - so either you need some special ability that can transform that or you can use a monk weapon (like sai etc) that can do slash or pierce to deal with creatures that have high DR or immunity to bludgeon (but then you lose the unarmed DR - as far as I know). And monks have great saves ;-) A good choice really…
Yeah, PF Monks look pretty good! Monk is a class I've always been interested in but never really played because I don't like the restrictions on gear and alignment.

Do you think it's better to take all 20 levels as Monk or do you prefer a multiclass build? I remember in NWN a friend made a cool druid/monk build who could fight in dragon form with Flurry on his claws.

I actually haven't even looked at druids yet! Do they get dragon form or anything cool like that? Do you think a monk/druid like that would be possible?

In Pathfinder and 3.5 rogues are very capable party members if they are built right. Sneak attack damage gets to a very solid amount. I think a dip into duelist and "Accomplished Sneak Attacker" feat to ensure sneak attack stays at max should work out well.

The other option is to take one level of rogue (and pick up the sneak attacker feat) and 3 levels wizard and then go arcane trickster for 10 levels and the rest back to wizard. That combination has basically full spell progression and sneak attack damage on spells.

Sneak attacks seem to happen fairly often, too, without even trying. I can see it being a very worthwhile ability.

This is pretty much what I'm doing with Octavia! I noticed pb say somewhere about ranged ledgermain allowing multiple attempts to pick locks and after picking it up I think it's something you definitely always want in your party.

I think I might start this soon to see if it is any good. Is there anything I absolutely must know before I start. I mean I don't want to spoil the game but sometime there are things one really should know in advance… Also should I play on easy, normal, hard, … ??
Have a look at the options when you get there, but Normal gives you 20% Damage Reduction and Challenging is 0% and probably the closest to tabletop rules.

You can sort of make it easier just by save scumming, anyway. Quicksave after every encounter and reload if someone fully dies because res scrolls are too expensive. That's a money cheat, right there. If I bought an 8000g scroll every time someone died I'd have 0 gold and a fully dead party. :p

Also, most big monsters will have a chest or dead body behind them you can just sneak in and loot. I've found some really good items like this. Then you come back later for the boss.

I play where a full rest clears all bad conditions. Just seems like busy work to me if that's not checked.
This seems like a huge advantage to me. It might be busy work to restore all your ability score damage when you're safe in the capital and have to rest 2 or 3 times for your 3 Lesser Restoration spells, but when you're risking camping with no supplies in a poison cloud filled swamp while everyone is close to dying from being reduced below 0 Con it's cheating to fully restore everyone in one rest without even memorizing one restoration spell. Much, much easier. Which is, of course, fine if you're after a more casual experience. =)

Last edited:
I always have restoration spells memed anyway. Plus, just walk out of the swamp and find a safe area. I stand by saying it's just busy work. The main reason I do it was for curses, where you would have to go back to the capital and rest. Not too mention you can just carry a bunch of restoration potions.

Doesn't make combat any easier. I have combat on harder settings so I'm not looking for a more casual experience.

Just defeated the second boss for DLC3 - the order of 4 mini bosses seem to be random. So far, I've defeated Fallen Priestess and Wicked Chanter. Both were fun and challenging encounters! On to the third boss! I really wish Owlcat will add import character function though, getting a little tired of creating same characters over and over again!

I hope the powers that be will integrate that turn based system into the game, or do something similar. It strikes me as something that would appeal to many folks and would likely score them a few purchases.

I'm currently unable to get that update ... anyone else having this problem ?
I was able to get a lot of it (several GB) during last week, but then I paused it.

I don't know if this was posted before, but there is now a "turn based" mod for the game.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/109?tab=description&BH=0

I played with it for a few hours and it works incredibly well. Best thing is, you can switch turn based on and off whenever you want so you can have RTwP for trash mobs and TB for difficult fights.

Damn, that looked quite good! How is the turn length calculated i wonder.. equal for everyone or is it also based on stats or skills? if anyone knows.. in TB games i tend to favor skills/stats that makes me able to do more during the turn.

Hoping the game is on sale during the Steam Sale (which is starting today i believe).

Damn, that looked quite good! How is the turn length calculated i wonder.. equal for everyone or is it also based on stats or skills? if anyone knows.. in TB games i tend to favor skills/stats that makes me able to do more during the turn.

Hoping the game is on sale during the Steam Sale (which is starting today i believe).

Ranks are determined by the Initiative roll, you can delay your turn. I really like it.

I started over, this time with a Paladin character, and managed to meet Jubilost by avoiding the Ford across Skunk River until Troll Trouble has started. Combat is a whole lot easier this time with an extra front-line character, especially after I found Trollreaper.

The amusing part was when I went back to the Ford much later, the gnome guards were still freezing their arses off in the cold water. Get out of there you silly knobs.

Last edited:
What do i do with linz on level 2? I.e, if I take weapon focus which weapon do i focus on ?

I'd keep her out of melee combat, so some ranged weapon? Crossbow or shortbow, depending on what she has chosen so far? You then also def need that feat to avoid the -4 penalty when firing into combat.

Back
Top Bottom