Stalker Chernobyl

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
I've played this game for several hours and I've noticed there isn't a single female in the whole game yet. I can't imagine hundreds of guys being anywhere without female companionship, so it is really immersion breaking. If nothing else, these mercenaries would have slave/prisoner women for "companionship".

I've been doing a lot of the sidequests and have finally made my way to the bar. I hope the dude has bullets, I'm out for my main weapon. I kinda suck at aiming, so I use lots of ammo :D

I've played this game for several hours and I've noticed there isn't a single female in the whole game yet.

finally made my way to the bar. I hope the dude has bullets
Bullets or boobs? :p

Anyway, stop baiting me around with posts about the game, I refuse to start it till I finish Life is Strange (finished episodes 2 and 3 yesterday, only 4 and 5 left so I'll probably start stalker tomorrow). It's installed and is waiting. Didn't install sequels though. Not yet at least.

I've only played the first, but it's a lot of fun.

@JDR, Sid's door was open-able by running into it and then moving away quickly. I eventually opened it enough to get in and sell all of my loots. So, now I have around 20,000 RU or 1/3 the price of some really nice armor Sid had. He probably won't have it when I accumulate 60,000 RU, but maybe the barkeeper will have some. I've got about 15 or so anomalies to sell from my various wanderings. The cheapest sells for 600 RU, so I should get some nice ruski coins for the lot.

Pretty fun game. I didn't expect to play it this long, since it has no stats or skills.

No stats/skills? How is it RPG then? If it's just different weapons, what's the difference between it and FarCry 3? Besides, FC3 at least has boobs... ;)

It's not an RPG. It's an open-world FPS with some RPG aspects and tons of atmosphere.

It's 100x better than games like FC3 though, imo.

Yeah, lots of bugs, unstable engine, but a hell of a lot of fun. I would recommend Call of Chernobyl mod for Call of Pripyat. It's standalone and free, but you need to have CoP installed the first time you start it (it checks for some files). Install some add-ons for it too, like more realistic damage and more weapons. It's a pure, free-roaming STALKER experience.

Do you need the detector for anomalies in the COC mod, Ivanwah? That's the one thing in Pripyat that I didn't care for. It just seems like an unnecessary item.

It's not an RPG. It's an open-world FPS with some RPG aspects and tons of atmosphere.

It's 100x better than games like FC3 though, imo.

A shooter with RPG aspects 100x better than FC3? That simply doesn't exist. Not saying it can't exist, it's just none made it.
For all I know Stalker does not have trashmob respawning stopper mechanics - while in FC3 you get rid of those just base takeovers. That's the first, probably not the last reason why FC3 is better. Will know after I play through the game.

But whatever, unlike racers, dodgers and grinders, I generally like shooters just not enough to play every single one of those including overrated shorties like Doom.

Finished LiS, so I'm starting Stalker today. Is it really better than FC3 I'll know when I complete it (means doing every sideactivity like I did with FC3). Fans of other shooters claimed their game is better than FC3, sorry, didn't happen. Even FC4 failed - Ubi simply didn't understand why FC3 rocked and went for copycat with boredom.

EDIT:
Applied the mod, better than FC3 my arse.
Where are subtitles? In someone's butt, yeah.
Why is EAX turned on by default? So sound can kill my ears, right?
Okay, back to the game.

Last edited:
I prefer shooters that are heavy on atmosphere and have some degree of realism. I can't stand the kind of nonsensical gameplay elements Ubisoft likes to put in their games.

I did like Far Cry 1 a lot back in the day, but that was developed by Crytek.

After a few hours in… I can only say Stalker is a pathetic game.
Plenty of mindless gunning sure, just for absolutely no reason.
What atmosphere? What realism?

Human trashmobs are loaded with goodies and respawn. I don't have to go where they reappear, but I guess to get that armor crpgnut was talking about all I have to do is grind. Over and over till doomsday?

Sorry. Maybe this game was okay at a time it got released. But I just don't care about anything in it. Got spoiled with games rich with different content and not repetitive content.
Will play some more just to be sure it's not just a case of poor first impression.

There are two positive things though. You can save anywhere (openworld) and playing this game with mushrooms is IMO impossible.

Did they make anything better or more interesting in sequels?

Lol, true. I knew Joxer would hate it but I mentioned that monsters respawn with better treasure. The armor I mentioned, Joxer, is in the very first location, hidden in the eaves of a roof. You'll need to run and jump to get there. There is a very interesting story in this game and you can just play the main missions and get to it fairly quickly. It is somewhat like the American Area 51. The Ruskis are hiding experiments behind a disaster area. It is decent armor for the lower levels but doesn't compare with Exosuits.

@JDR, you knew I'll say that.
Another positive I forgot. I did talk to people in the first "base" and did some stuff, returned, and by the fire one of them pulled out a guitar and sang a song. In a postapocaliptic shooter?!

It may be a rubbish game, but this ordinary life optimism scene in a world that has no future is what lifts it above mediocrity. Here's hope that except this the game is not just copypasted "shoot stuff and don't die" story and that there are more of such small yet strong things to spot.

@crpgnut, no, I'm talking about armor priced 60K at the first trader (the one who gave you the first mission) that has 40-50 resistances, something like that. I looted some bandit armor somewhere while "exploring", a bit better than default one, but it's still 10-15. Didn't jump on any roof though, will try. :D

One thing more, ammo is too scarce and I can't buy more. I'm not bad at shooting but am forced to avoid everspawning trashmob animals because of that, I mean, I did try to kill them with a knife, no can do. :( At least when I kill a hostile human they usually have a few bullets of some kind on them.

Do you need the detector for anomalies in the COC mod, Ivanwah? That's the one thing in Pripyat that I didn't care for. It just seems like an unnecessary item.

Tbh, I really don't remember, I played it a half a year ago. I would imagine you need it, since it's based on CoP.

Yeah, I'll mod in an advanced scanner. I've got that much modding skill :)

I enjoyed this game a lot upon release, but I hit a savegame corruption bug at some point way past the halfway mark.

I've tried getting back to it, but I feel other games have come and done what I liked about it better in most ways.

That said, it still retains one of the most convincing and eery settings of any game I've played.

Back
Top Bottom