Scaring off the female members

See ? Competition again. Thank you for proving my point. The Codex vs. The Watch.

Seriously? For poking fun at the Codex? I personally can't stand the place because of the juvenile tone. I realise it's probably "fun" and not meant to be taken seriously, but those threads give me headaches. I DO think some friendly rivalry is ok though, if you find that too competitive ok.

And please read Joxers and my exchange further down the page. I see neither Hippies, Hipsters nor Hugs as negative things, they were meant as POSITIVE things as in being nice to and caring for each other. It was an exaggeration because we have our share of conflicts and rage at the Watch as well, but the tone is most times a lot more respectful than at the Codex. Which I'm very thankful for.

Last edited:
Seriously? For poking fun at the Codex? I personally can't stand the place because how of the juvenile tone. I realise it's probably "fun" and not meant to be taken seriously, but I can't stand it.

Page one, paragraph one of the Asshole Handbook says to just say everything you do and say is a "joke" and if anyone takes it seriously, they're the asshole/have their panties in a bunch/are snowflakes. That place is a cesspit full of self-involved, faux edgy, ignorant people maybe half as smart as they think they are.

They are boys. And men wishing they were still boys. ;)
(Don’t know if that it true, probably isn’t, hell, what do I know, most of it is hear say, I have never seen their infamous Shoutbox, and I am no member to see what’s going on, I merely took a peek once or twice.)

I just imagined this line of discussion going on at the codex. Hilarious.

Like imagening an ice cube existing on the surface of the sun. And I'm not even talking about the space craft. Or the artist. ;)

(Don’t know if that it true, probably isn’t, hell, what do I know, most of it is hear say, I have never seen their infamous Shoutbox, and I am no member to see what’s going on, I merely took a peek once or twice.)
Technically, that's a sexist comment. Somehow I doubt Mike will go on a campaign over that one since it doesn't fit into his Straight White Male Guilt complex, but it qualifies nonetheless and should be immediately be struck from the forum with prejudice and sanctions for the offending party. Think of the children!

For the record, since some people are wildly inflamed by this whole fiasco, I was not offended by Eye's horrible sexist comment and I seek no redress. []removed] :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not quite sure how to take this comment of yours, dtowner. In case you WERE joking from A to Z, I think sometimes I have difficulty understanding your humor. Maybe you should post more often, then I’d know - hopefully. :)

So, just to be on the safe side: my remark, it was a joke. See the ;)?
Not even a sexist joke, because it is about a small group of people visiting the Codex. Not men in general.

Anyway, have you given your vote yet for the Game of the Decade? :)

Edit
O, and yeah, you’re last sentence is sexist. Not funny either. Go to P&R if you want to joke about that.

There is a distinct difference between ‘competition’ and ‘zero sum game’ (and ‘scorched earth policy’, for that matter).

Exactly my point. Always having to reply to the latest fake news insult or jibe in a never ending competition of nob size is about as equally as tedious as always having conversations stifled by incessant moralising and attempted outrage gotchas.

The term moderator should be a clue to anyone who wonders why or how any site's moderation should behave and how posters should expect a site to be. Everything in moderation, with the only caveats being the obviously bat-shit awful stuff.

I am not quite sure how to take this comment of yours, dtowner. In case you WERE joking from A to Z, I think sometimes I have difficulty understanding your humor. Maybe you should post more often, then I’d know - hopefully. :)

So, just to be on the safe side: my remark, it was a joke. See the ;)?
Not even a sexist joke, because it is about a small group of people visiting the Codex. Not men in general.

Anyway, have you given your vote yet for the Game of the Decade? :)

Edit
O, and yeah, you’re last sentence is sexist. Not funny either. Go to P&R if you want to joke about that.
That first sentence was factual. From there on, it's largely highlighting, in my unique and engaging style, how quickly this whole thing spirals into complete silliness.

I have it on good authority (several posts in this thread) that merely saying "this is a joke" doesn't absolve your transgression, so I'm not sure what we do with that. Further, I have it on good authority (several posts in this thread) that what matters is how comments are received, not how they are sent. Therefore, it doesn't matter one bit whether you meant it as a joke or not. The fact that I claimed injury is sufficient to declare the whole thing injurious.

Now, while for purposes of this discussion I had to position myself as deeply offended by your post, let me be 100% clear that I was not in any way actually offended. There isn't a damn thing wrong with your post. The fact that it seems to have awoken the dragon troubles me somewhat since it appears that I'm not being extended the same courtesy that I clearly extended, but I guess that's a different discussion for a different day.

On a side note, perhaps this would help you understand my approach a bit. This is generally my "go to" structure for situations like this, and your post happened to fit perfectly into it. wiki entry

The first sentence is the grammar police style of nitpicking. :p

I suggest another term for future use: manchild.
Unless it's sexist. Or whateverist. But then lock up Neneh Cherry for being rude.

@dteowner;
You beat me to it.

I had to go do something else and while doing it, I thought: ‘Wait a minute, sexist jokes are not allowed. Not even in P&R.
Your last sentence was a sexist remark. The TOS does not allow sexism, be it meant as a joke or not.
So I’ll give you red for that - tos is clear - and I’ll delete the part that is not allowed.
If you don’t agree you know how to find me via PM, or take it to Myrthos.

As for your latest commentary. Whatever you say. Your interpretation of what is happening here, I’m sorry I am no longer interested, you don’t like the rules nor it’s implementation, and never have, fine, but you are beginning to sound like a broken record.
Might I suggest the Codex, which seems to be the land of the free?

Funny, one is complaining about nothing has changed, and the other one, his former opponent, shows up immediately to get a go at him again, and is trying his best to show that our ‘new’ strict approach (since 2016) sucks.

As for your way of making yourself clear, whatever, pointing to a Wiki page won’t help, your last reply confirmed it: I think your style of expressing yourself is boring.

Last edited:
Oh my. Toss a few insults over your shoulder, take your ball and go home then. Talk about totally missing the point.

I hope @purpleblob; stays with us at the Watch. I think the majority here are respectful posters, but there are definitely some who are not. I still discuss with the latter, if I think they have something worth discussing, but if I have the sense that an argument is no longer being discussed respectfully or that the other poster is just trying to get in the last word, I leave the discussion rather than wasting my time in a fruitless or unpleasant conversation. Its certainly much more pleasant to have a conversation here than at the codex, but there are some people who get much too worked over video games, or never learned the value of treating other people with respect and kindness (which is not just for others, but also for yourself).

That broken record again dte? It is your choice to visit us here and when you do, all you can do is nag about moderation. I think it is about time to get over that frustration of yours. It has been almost 4 years now.

Perhaps it would be an idea to start your own site and show us how moderation is done in a real environment.

With all due respect, I had absolutely no problem with the moderation and was, in very clear words, completely supporting the moderation decisions. Until such time as your staff went batshit crazy on me, probably because she was too damn bored to actually read my words OF SUPPORT, I was pointing out how silly the original complaint (see thread subject) really was by demonstrating that not a single soul had any problem when the situation (alleged sexism against females) was turned around to be the reverse (alleged sexism against males).

When she complained about not understanding me, I made an honest and genuine attempt to explain and clarify exactly what I was doing so there was absolutely no question that, JUST LIKE I SAID, I had no problem with the original issue nor Eye's comment. She was clearly too damn bored to read that genuine response to her question.

I had no plans to challenge authority since I was SUPPORTING their decision. I have no plans to continue this line of conversation since y'all are too damn bored to read it which makes conversation fairly pointless. Besides, I know where it goes (nowhere) and I've made my peace with that.

Not sure why you two are being such jackwagons about this. Seriously.

@Eye;, I think you missed @dteowner; point.

Accirding to the TOS sexist remarks are not allowed, whether as a joke or otherwise, yet you said :
Boys will be boys. (with a wink)

Dte is using that as an example of a sexist remark which is allowed because it is against men rather than women with no one objecting to it.

If the TOS were followed to the letter the other day that would deserve some kind of penalty.

Dte did specifically say that it did not actually offend him but that it was his way of explaining that there is a discrepancy in moderation.

Anyway, I mostly come here for discussion on games and I have stopped doing pnr discussions because they did become very one sided in my opinion too. Even though it's "my" side it gets boring to hear my own thoughts from other people....

Edit
Was typing this and noticed Dte replied so not sure if up to date still but I'll leave it here

Well, Pladio actually read the words and mostly understood. Thanks, Pladio, at least I have a little confidence now that what I wrote wasn't completely a hash.

I would clarify that I actually don't care about the "discrepancy" in this case (although I can understand the confusion since that's a favorite soapbox for me). My point is that the two situations are fairly equal according to the ToS, nobody gives two hoots about the later, therefore the angst about the former is probably similarly overblown. SUPPORTING moderation decisions not to bring down the hammer.

I think that people are kinda touchy right now, due to this recent controversy, and thus things can be misinterpreted and have miscommunication. My 2 cents. I think if this forum was moderated by certain people who clearly have certain agendas and want a very controlled type atmosphere, that it would die out eventually. As one of the admins said, that I saw in a recent comment, when they had an overly restrictive policy it led to discussion becoming scarce. I have experienced this in other forums - when moderators who are hard-nosed and rule the forum with an iron fist are put in charge, that leads to the forum becoming very quiet, eventually.

That is generally what happens when forums are moderated too much, because it leads to people leaving and not feeling free to make comments. And when a forum is no longer fun, then what is the point.

Moderation should always lean towards freedom and have a bias towards letting discussions roam free, even if one or two comments are "borderline". We are only human, after all. Anyway, like I said I think the moderation here is superb and they shouldn't change a thing. In my humble opinion.

@Eye;, I think you missed @dteowner; point.

Accirding to the TOS sexist remarks are not allowed, whether as a joke or otherwise, yet you said :
Boys will be boys. (with a wink)

Dte is using that as an example of a sexist remark which is allowed because it is against men rather than women with no one objecting to it.

If the TOS were followed to the letter the other day that would deserve some kind of penalty.

Dte did specifically say that it did not actually offend him but that it was his way of explaining that there is a discrepancy in moderation.

Anyway, I mostly come here for discussion on games and I have stopped doing pnr discussions because they did become very one sided in my opinion too. Even though it's "my" side it gets boring to hear my own thoughts from other people….

Edit
Was typing this and noticed Dte replied so not sure if up to date still but I'll leave it here
@Pladio;
I did not write ‘Boys will be boys’.
I wrote:
They are boys. And men wishing they were still boys.
They, the people at the Codex, are boys, and (some of) the people at the Codex are men wishing they were still boys.

On top of that both you and dte seem to have missed the thing I wrote in my first response to dte, after that first sentence of “it was a joke”:

Thinking the way you and dte do a remark like “those women over there in that corner are a bunch of childish girls, [or fill in your favorite word with or without wink], is considered sexist.
Or to make it more absurd (trying to adopt his ‘ Reductio ad absurdum’ here), stating that dte is a nag, is sexist, because he is male.

Now, I get why dte is twisting words and ignoring parts of my sentences, because it is not the first time he has been doing this. All that because he wants to show moderation sucks.

On a regular basis he has been picking a specific remark made by moderator/administrator - to show the team, and other members, that he was right all along: that the ‘new’ rules do not work, that there is inconsistency, that some are being punished while others get away with it. Apparently now he does not even cede back from going as far as to break the TOS just to make his point.

This time he wanted to show that I allowed myself to be sexist but others (him for example) are being punished for that.

Apart from being a broken record, one could state he is beginning to act like a troll.

I think it is hight time he starts to accept the present situation - present moderation and present TOS.

Last edited:
For those that still have some glasses on their nose that makes them read ‘boys will be boys’ where it says: ‘they are boys’:

The impression I get is that at the Codex there are a lot of fifteen year old boys - kids, real kids.
And yes, I get the impression there are some grown ups too, who want to feel young.

But like I said, I have never investigated the place to see if that is true.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom