What is your Favorite Setting in an RPG

What is your Favorite Setting in an RPG

• Epic Fantasy (Lord of the Rings, Forgotten Realms etc)

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • Sci-Fi (CyberPunk, Outer Worlds, etc)

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Historical/History Fictional (Assassin's Creed, Empire of Sin, etc)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Post Apocalyptic (Fallout, etc)

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Horror (Vampyr, Vampire: The Masquerade, etc

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Something Else

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
...Eh, I read them, but they were a slog honestly. Maybe I am not smart enough, or too lazy of a reader, but I had a hard time figuring out what exactly was happening or what I was reading. They seemed deliberately obtuse. I read to relax, not to work, so they were not for me.

Interesting. To me, they're among the best books I've read. I've read it twice, going to read it at least once more. I very rarely reread books, the main examples were of course my favourite childhood books which I read and reread and rerere.......rereread, until destruction. And school books. And what they hoped I would learn at Uni.

To you they were a slog (I admit I've not looked up the word "slog", but I assume it's not a complement). Of course, claiming you are and idiot might be most satisfying for my ego, but, sorry to say, you don't look and behave like and idiot to me.

You found them deliberately obtuse (I think I get that word), I can understand, even agree to that. But, finding on what's really going on was an important part of my enjoyment.

a pibbur who now knows about a book he will never buy for the tripped .

Always prefered Fantasy RPGs..no idea why.

I think I lean towards fantasy because that was the genre that first really captured me as a reader. I still remember being quite small, and discovering an old hardback copy of The Hobbit in the library, with the foldout map inside the cover. I'm always trying to get back there, I think,

Based on the small collection of member votes it appears most of you like to play boring generic fantasy D&D inspired games. Can't say I'm surprised but I prefer variety.:p

Based on the small collection of member votes it appears most of you like to play boring generic fantasy D&D inspired games. Can't say I'm surprised but I prefer variety.:p
I'd rather more creative fantasy settings--Historical fantasy! Weird fiction! Mythology & fairy tales! Science fantasy! Dying Earth! Fantasy of manners or mythpunk! Even magical realism! Or urban fantasy that's not about ******* vampires!--but failing that, I'll settle for D&D lookalikes. They can have a sort of cheesy charm when done well.

Historical settings are rarely done well, says this history nerd and pedant. I only like sci fi by association and value it by how fantastical it is rather than on its own merits. Post-apocalyptic is just particularly drab sci fi. Vampyr and Bloodlines are urban fantasy.*

I genuinely can't think of any actual horror RPGs, but then a progression system doesn't fit comfortably with the vulnerability that good horror often requires.

*I'm so sick of vampires.

To you they were a slog (I admit I've not looked up the word "slog", but I assume it's not a complement). Of course, claiming you are and idiot might be most satisfying for my ego, but, sorry to say, you don't look and behave like and idiot to me.

You found them deliberately obtuse (I think I get that word), I can understand, even agree to that. But, finding on what's really going on was an important part of my enjoyment.

a pibbur who now knows about a book he will never buy for the tripped .

By "slog" I mean I found them hard to get through -- might not be the right word, English is not my native lingo. But no, I wouldn't consider myself an idiot either -- I mean, who would? :D -- but maybe it's the fact it's so obtuse coupled with my OCD that made them not enjoyable to me. I need to grasp a scene and picture it in my head, and need to know what the words mean. There were too many made-up words that were simply meaningless to me. Also might be because I am not a native speaker (not sure if you are?) though I do consider myself to have a good grasp of English. I exclusively read in English, by the way.

And mind, all this talk of obtuseness is coming from someone who's favorite book of all time is Tolkien's Silmarillion.

I'd be all over that, or even better, set in Silmarillion era. Such a ripe world for a role-playing game, and all they crank out these days are those silly action-y things. Yuck.

I'd be all over that, or even better, set in Silmarillion era. Such a ripe world for a role-playing game, and all they crank out these days are those silly action-y things. Yuck.

...and the one game in production right now is based on playing Gollum as a character it seems like. Not really interested in that, they'll have to convince me. But yeah I wish we could leave the third age and focus on something else, like the Silmarillion era like you say, for a game. Sign me up.

Where would the world of Disco Elysium sit in this poll?

The presentation of the "Pale" and the associated strangeness is really more magical than sci-fi, which would seem to place it in either "Epic Fantasy" or "Horror", neither of which feels close.

Does the fact that the world is a commentary on recent history put it in the history category? But it's not really an alternate history....

If that's my favorite recent setting, what do I pick?

Where would the world of Disco Elysium sit in this poll?

The presentation of the "Pale" and the associated strangeness is really more magical than sci-fi, which would seem to place it in either "Epic Fantasy" or "Horror", neither of which feels close.

Does the fact that the world is a commentary on recent history put it in the history category? But it's not really an alternate history….

If that's my favorite recent setting, what do I pick?

I would say history/history fictional. It is based on a historical setting but with fictional elements.

I've always been fantasy fan. I think it fulfills my girl-y imagination the most ;)

I've always been fantasy fan. I think it fulfills my girl-y imagination the most ;)
But which fantasy genre? Where is the line (for you) between fantasy and any other genre.

For me it is about removing the limitation on our imagination. To not be restricted to the mundane and too close to reality. It can be 99% present day but has to have that one fantastical thing. It just makes for (potentially) more interesting stories and characters.

But which fantasy genre? Where is the line (for you) between fantasy and any other genre.

For me it is about removing the limitation on our imagination. To not be restricted to the mundane and too close to reality. It can be 99% present day but has to have that one fantastical thing. It just makes for (potentially) more interesting stories and characters.

Elves, half elves, aasimars in pretty robes and circlets etc are fantasy settings that fulfills girl-y imagination ;)

Turning off Depth of Field. Oh wait, wrong setting... ;)

Fantasy and SF in games are essentially the same to me. Science fiction in books can get deep into things that the author thinks really could happen but I can't remember a single RPG that tried to do that. So elves and dwarves become aliens, spells turn into psionics, wands turn into laser guns, but it's all essentially the same thing.

My favorite would be the "other" option where I would put something that really gets me thinking about the world. A fantasy game with a surprising magic system, a crossover like Shadowlands, something like Tron or Matrix set in a cyber world - whatever it takes to get me thinking new thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom