Deus Ex HR: Director's Cut - Review Roundup #3

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I have two more reviews for the Directors Cut version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Hardcore Gamer - 4/5

Overall, the updates and changes here are impressive, despite the fact that AI was not properly tweaked, nor facial animations substantially improved. I did, however, appreciate the overhauling of boss showdowns, the second screen offerings, and the overall “squeaky clean” feeling of a game freshly ported to a new console. It’s not perfect, but it’s as close as it’s going to get for this Deus Ex, and that’s impressive in its own way.
Inside Gaming Daily - 9.5/10

All of the additions in the Director’s Cut are nice but miss their potential in one way or another. As such, it’s hard to pin down whether or not it’s a good fit for you. The director’s commentary is completely worth it, especially if you’re a big fan of the original, but you can get that on other platforms for a cheaper price. At the end of the day, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an amazing game that Director’s Cut only makes better. You should absolutely play it, but weigh your available platforms first.
More information.

I've been getting into this one finally. Seems like a very good game thus far (and its been really helping me get over my DS problem ;) ).

I bought it more than a year ago but only played the prologue for some reason. So, of course, I now had to buy the DC :roll:

Otoh, this delay might pan out as playing a stealthy/hacking sort of character seems a no-brainer for this game and it seems the old Boss battles might have been a pita.

PS: hey, did they upgrade the graphics or at least tweak art assets a bit too ? I am almost certain there was a difference at least in the company lobby that you enter right after the prologue. I don't believe I've heard it mentioned...

Some of the scores I'm seeing seem a bit high especially since the same reviewers keep saying that the Director's Cut could have added more. I liked DX:HR, but a 9.5 it is not.

@JonNik - There seems to be some controversy over the visuals. Some people claim to see some minor improvements while others are claiming it looks worse than the original.

Most people seem to agree that they toned down the gold tint that pervaded the original. The textures are a mixed bag though, and it's a huge topic over at the Steam forums.

@JonNik - There seems to be some controversy over the visuals. Some people claim to see some minor improvements while others are claiming it looks worse than the original. Most people seem to agree that they toned down the gold tint that pervaded the original. The textures are a mixed bag though, and it's a huge topic over at the Steam forums.

Yep, thats it probably. Can't really say if it looks better or worse due to my limited time with it in its original form (it looks fine imo) but the lobby was definitely less gaudily bright.

That is an improvement at least I believe...

Some of the scores I'm seeing seem a bit high especially since the same reviewers keep saying that the Director's Cut could have added more. I liked DX:HR, but a 9.5 it is not.

It's a tale as old as time. Seems certain reviewers just can't give a bad, or fair score to games they love. As for the game itself I did notice the yellow filter is toned down, and the boss fights have more options now. So that's a plus in my book.

Here I have two images from the Steam Forums to show the difference.

Original
:http://cloud-4.steampowered.co…
Director's Cut: http://cloud-2.steampowered.co…

I also had stuttering which can be fixed with a registry edit.:-/

Last edited:
Visually, I can't tell much of a difference either. I'm telling myself the lighting is somewhat more moody - but I could be imagining things.

The big thing for me is the +1 energy cell recharge change and the integration of the Missing Link DLC. The boss fight changes are great - but I never had much of a problem with them - but it's for sure it's a better fit for the gameplay philosophy.

Supposedly, they've improved the AI and stuff - but I've yet to really notice.

For the modest upgrade price, I consider this one a no-brainer if you liked the original and ever intend to replay it. If you haven't played it - now is the perfect time.

I'm not sure what my rating would be at this point - but 9.5/10 isn't far from it. It's basically as good as you can get in this age of mainstream streamlining.

Have they tweaked the balancing? I found HR to be ridiculously easy if you were smart about picking your upgrades.

I don't think they've done anything that would change it from being "ridiculously easy" to challenging, no.

Back
Top Bottom