General News - Better Side Quests

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
PCGamesN have published an article in which they argue that rpgs deserve better side quests.

“But ranty man on the internet,” I hear you cry, “The Witcher 3 also contains a quest where you must guide a stupid barnyard animal back to its owner, invalidating everything you’ve ever said!” Damn you, hypothetical reader, you’ve caught me out. Or maybe I picked this specific side quest just so I can compare the two. Ah-ha!

Yes, Geralt has to find a goat and bring it back to an ugly old man. It’s not the game’s greatest moment. It is, however, a whole bunch of things that the quest in Inquisition is not. Brief, for example. Funny, too, as Geralt coaxes a wee creature with a little bell. It bleats merrily, as it follows the grim, angry monster slayer. And the best part: it runs off and smack bang into an angry bear. “Run, you piece of shit,” Geralt growls. The goat bleats indignantly. Geralt draws his sword.

Humour, surprise, a bit of tension and a fight – not bad for a quest to rescue a goat. My reward wasn’t just armour or gold or experience points, it was a moment of levity in a game that frequently made me question my choices and even gave me a lump in my throat a few times. In Dragon Age: Inquisition, sidequests are all about acquisition. New agents. A new sword. More power. They keep the gears turning, but not much else.
Thanks Eye.

More information.

I won't read the whole thing but yes. Sidequests in TW3 thumb up, filler garbage from DA:I thumb down.

I won't read the whole thing but yes. Sidequests in TW3 thumb up, filler garbage from DA:I thumb down.

I think that is one of TW3 greatest achievement, make people believe that their main quests were side quests.

For example, the quest the author talks about (A Princess in distress) is not a side quest. You have to complete it to advance the main quest Family Matters.

All the good stuff in TW3 was directly linked to the main storyline characters, none were optional, not doing them simply had a different effect on the late game/ending than if you did. The side quests where all the MMO-ish stuff (bandit camp, free prisoners, not-main quest monster contracts, find treasures, etc).

I think that is one of TW3 greatest achievement, make people believe that their main quests were side quests.

For example, the quest the author talks about (A Princess in distress) is not a side quest. You have to complete it to advance the main quest Family Matters.

All the good stuff in TW3 was directly linked to the main storyline characters, none were optional, not doing them simply had a different effect on the late game/ending than if you did. The side quests where all the MMO-ish stuff (bandit camp, free prisoners, not-main quest monster contracts, find treasures, etc).

No…are you even talking about the same game?
A ton of side quests have nothing to do with main story or characters and are given as much attention, (despite being less in length) than those connected to it.
And the ones that are connected to it, branch out to tell their own, separate story which makes entire world, main and side quest narrative far better connected and organic than in any other open world or video game to date.
Bandit camps or treasure hunts are typical world activities, not side quests.

Last edited:
A nice, well-written article. If some game developers/game designers could read it, then they possibly could learn something. But I think they won't read it. Or learn anything.

A nice, well-written article. If some game developers/game designers could read it, then they possibly could learn something. But I think they won't read it. Or learn anything.

More likely than not many developers know that quality content leads to quality games. Some companies just don't have the luxury of being independent and doing what they really want to do. If publisher x wants game y by z date then your going to cut a lot of content. Just look at how independence made Larian.

No…are you even talking about the same game?
A ton of side quests have nothing to do with main story or characters and are given as much attention, (despite being less in length) than those connected to it.
And the ones that are connected to it, branch out to tell their own, separate story which makes entire world, main and side quest narrative far better connected and organic than in any other open world or video game to date.
Bandit camps or treasure hunts are typical world activities, not side quests.

Seems to me that you are the one who didn't pay attention. Just like the guy in the article who think A Princess in Distress is a side quest when it is impossible to continue Family Matters (a main quest critical path) unless you complete it. The quest is even in the story mission category in the log.

Any quest that affect the main quest narrative and the main storyline ending is a main quest, even if the game label it "side quest" because it is optional (and in truth they aren't optional, not doing them is a resolution in itself). Getting the Ciri's Empress ending is a very good example of that, you need to do the entire Roche/Dijkstra quest chains (considered side quests by the game) through the whole game in a certain way to get it.

Seems to me that you are the one who didn't pay attention. Just like the guy in the article who think A Princess in Distress is a side quest when it is impossible to continue Family Matters (a main quest critical path) unless you complete it. The quest is even in the story mission category in the log.

Any quest that affect the main quest narrative and the main storyline ending is a main quest, even if the game label it "side quest" because it is optional (and in truth they aren't optional, not doing them is a resolution in itself). Getting the Ciri's Empress ending is a very good example of that, you need to do the entire Roche/Dijkstra quest chains (considered side quests by the game) through the whole game in a certain way to get it.

As I said, others are tied to the main story and then branch out to tell a story of their own…it makes the entire main story feel more connected to the world and it's characters, even if they do not share the same goal. Uma's tale is a good example.
This is a very different approach than in Skyrim where (almost) every faction and main story quest is completely disconnected from the rest… and main story in this game is very long in comparison to others.
But majority of side quests and contracts are not…check out wikia if you think otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom