Anyone playing GW2?

OK, is anyone else getting clobbered in the level 8 and 10 story arc quests? Even my elementalist got trashed over and over. I'm getting my level above what's required but when three level 10s come after me in a smallish room followed by three more...

P.S. I could swear I just got a choice between companions in those quests. Does this game even have those?? Maybe they will be showing up in future story arcs?

OK, is anyone else getting clobbered in the level 8 and 10 story arc quests? Even my elementalist got trashed over and over. I'm getting my level above what's required but when three level 10s come after me in a smallish room followed by three more…

P.S. I could swear I just got a choice between companions in those quests. Does this game even have those?? Maybe they will be showing up in future story arcs?

I had a hard time initially with my squishy Thief - but I've learned that using other weapons can matter a great deal. For instance, the Shortbow for the Thief gives immense AoE damage - which is often required during main quest fights. It's also easy to kite with. Naturally, you want to maximise your gear as well.

However, the quests aren't pushovers like they are in most mainstream MMOs - which is kinda unexpected. I think it's because the quests are based on race - not class. So, the squishy classes will have a harder time by nature.

Not sure about Elementalist - but I suppose it's pretty squishy.

My main concern with this game is that there's no "endgame". Yeah, I know they're saying the entire game is the endgame - but I'm talking about stuff to do after you reach level cap and you've seen the areas.

I know that will take time - and I know there's no subscription fee. But I'm rarely concerned about the investment - as long as it's fair. I just think the world is really beautiful and I like the events - so I'd love to have it as a long-term home.

Seems to me this game will last 1-3 months and that's about it. WvW might be fun, but it's not really my kind of PvP. sPvP is too similar to WoW - and I don't really see the point beyond a bit of fun - here and there.

Back to post some impressions while they do the maintenance!

Where to start... ummm...

Well, it's very good. Let's get that out of the way. Yes, it's good.

I'm level 11 PvE and rank 3 in PVP.

I don't really want to go into a full explanation of the systems but if you've played WoW to death it will feel fresh.

I think the highlight would be jumping my way up to find a "vista" in Lions Gate, where I accidentally ended up after walking out of the wrong portal from the PvP hub. At the vista there was this cave mouth with big, rocky teeth but it sloped down very severely. I thought I could see some water at the bottom so I tried to jump to some rocks half way to slowly make my way down to explore but ended up dying from the fall. I ran back and the second attempt I just slid all the way down into the water. Turns out I'd found some kind of pirates treasure cave. There were no monsters in there but jumping puzzles, a maze with secret walls and corridors of traps to navigate before finding the pirates treasure at the end. I've never had such a rewarding experience exploring before!

Apparently there are many areas like this to explore and I can't wait to find more of them! :D

OK, is anyone else getting clobbered in the level 8 and 10 story arc quests? Even my elementalist got trashed over and over. I'm getting my level above what's required but when three level 10s come after me in a smallish room followed by three more…

I'm an elementalist as well. You have 4 different elements, and weapon combination sets for each element. Use them all, see what works for you and what not. For quests, I tend to use the water element, which seems to be the lower dps but with automatic healing (I think with staff, not sure now) so I can keep myself healed while slowly pounding away the mobs. For normal fights I used to use Air for solo mobs or fire for groups of mobs. But that all changed, for some reason I still don't know I decided to focus my traits on Earth, so now I'm naturally tougher to kill (Earth = defense + DoTs). Also I used to use staff, but now I'm using scepter + dagger. I just like having two different weapons though staff is great in itself (fire staff's meteor rain looks great).

I'm beginning to think this could be a serious competitor for Wow. The game's got all the things I missed from that game, like the gnome lookalikes and the humour, it's fresh, and it's better in several ways. And it's free. Sure there are the guilds and the size of the player base in wow (and the upcoming expansion, which doesn't tempt me. Fighting pandas, huh?). And I can't say anything about the endgame. But at least it ought to a be a real contender when it comes to recruiting new players. Methinks.

pibbur who knows he's wrong on many subjects. Unfortunately he doesn't know which ones.

I'm beginning to think this could be a serious competitor for Wow. The game's got all the things I missed from that game, like the gnome lookalikes and the humour, it's fresh, and it's better in several ways. And it's free. Sure there are the guilds and the size of the player base in wow (and the upcoming expansion, which doesn't tempt me. Fighting pandas, huh?). And I can't say anything about the endgame. But at least it ought to a be a real contender when it comes to recruiting new players. Methinks.

pibbur who knows he's wrong on many subjects. Unfortunately he doesn't know which ones.

It's not free :)

Hah! You're wrorng!!!

Eh...

Actually, not. Sorry about that.

pibbur who (no) thanks to dart found one thing where he was wrong. And who remember one episode in 1980. BUT APART FROM THAT .....

Right a couple of questions more (sorry about that), still didn't buy the game as I wait the weekend...

- Is Deluxe version really worth the price (if i see it right, you get some onetime use items that last a day or a few with it)?
- Does RPGwatch have it's own guild like DDO?

Holy Cow! After I posted, I didn't realize several are playing it. I've been busy getting ready to shove the kids out the door next Tuesday :party: I finally started the game yesterday even though I pre-purchased the game and played in one of the beta's.

I didn't know if anyone planned on getting a guild similar to DDO. I'm currently on Sanctum of Rall but might consider moving if Im bribedImean asked ;)

I currently have a lowly Ranger and an engineer. Why an engineer? Lobbing bombs and shooting a pistol/rifle seems fun :D I have no idea how the engineer will play later on but I'll give it a shot. I always play a ranger but I'll have to see how the others stack up. In the first GW, I played a ranger through the original campaign but then started a Ritualist which I dearly loved.

Celeste

No guild I know about. I'm on Anvil Stone right now but so far none of my normal guild friends have joined up so I can go anywhere.

Neat thing is you can join MULTIPLE guilds in this game and you don't even have to be on the same server! (Though you do for WvW)

Just unbelievable… As planned I got some free time and went to buy GW2…

Selling GW2 on the official site is stopped - it says SOLD OUT:
https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/

Why is it stopped? Because TOO MANY PPL BOUGHT IT!!!
OMG

In other words, so many players are playing GW2 and they didn't expect such interest so servers can't handle more ppl. The selling will continue when they do whatever upgrades…
To be honest, while I'm not happy, at least they avoided overcrowded servers Diablo3 problem. Eventually I'll buy it.

I think they revved up a few more servers on Friday.

Anyone wanting to buy it can still get it through the usual third-party venues (Gamestop, Amazon, etc.) retail and digital.

After hearing so much good response to the game I decided to go out and buy it today. They had plenty of boxed copies at my local Gamestop.

I didn't play in any of the beta weekends so it's all new to me. Looking forward to exploring Tyria!

For now, I'm patching....

I think I'm starting to burn out with the game. I'm 28th level now, and it's just really bland to me. I mean, it has a nice flow in terms of combat and movement - and it looks and sounds pretty good. I like that they're trying to reward exploration and crafting - but nothing seems to really matter in this game.

After level 30, you pretty much only have traits to look forward to. Gear is boring and doesn't give you that feeling of power progression.

WvW is removed in an instance and doesn't really mean anything (beyond a few percentages of bonus stuff) - and it resets every 2 weeks. sPvP is ok - but is exactly like all the other modern themeparks - except there's no meaningful reward.

I find the zones too similar and none of the 6-7 I've seen so far stand out like the beautful zones did in WoW back then. They don't have a strong atmosphere and the music is average with limited variety.

I don't know... The entire game just seems so mainstream/accessible that there's really no way to excel or stand out.

Even without a sub fee - I don't see this game lasting very long.

Oh well....

I think I'm starting to burn out with the game. I'm 28th level now, and it's just really bland to me. I mean, it has a nice flow in terms of combat and movement - and it looks and sounds pretty good. I like that they're trying to reward exploration and crafting - but nothing seems to really matter in this game.

After level 30, you pretty much only have traits to look forward to. Gear is boring and doesn't give you that feeling of power progression.

WvW is removed in an instance and doesn't really mean anything (beyond a few percentages of bonus stuff) - and it resets every 2 weeks. sPvP is ok - but is exactly like all the other modern themeparks - except there's no meaningful reward.

I find the zones too similar and none of the 6-7 I've seen so far stand out like the beautful zones did in WoW back then. They don't have a strong atmosphere and the music is average with limited variety.

I don't know… The entire game just seems so mainstream/accessible that there's really no way to excel or stand out.

Even without a sub fee - I don't see this game lasting very long.

Oh well….

I agree but I knew that from long ago. Really, once you complete your weapon skills there isn't much to improve. You get an extra skill at 20 and at 30 I think, but that's about it. It's still a fun game. I recommend you get to Lion's Arch and complete the map, it's what used to be the Human capital but was destroyed by a tsunami, so now pirates took over the place.
Also the first 'dungeon' opens at 30 (haven't been there yet though I'm 34 in my main, so don't know how good they are).
But yes, I knew this game wasn't going to be about 'character development', like other MMOs, but it's still a fun game to fool around with, and no monthly fee so that's ok with me.

Also the first 'dungeon' opens at 30 (haven't been there yet though I'm 34 in my main, so don't know how good they are).
But yes, I knew this game wasn't going to be about 'character development', like other MMOs, but it's still a fun game to fool around with, and no monthly fee so that's ok with me.

The game is mostly about exploration, but I disagree that character development stop at level 30 (my main is 41). Unlocking skills isn't the character development in this game. The stats/skills/gear synergy is what matters.This mean that gear bonuses and traits lines affect your character a lot more than the weapon you use.

Not selecting the right utilities and increasing the right stats through the trait line to go along with your playstyle and weapon choice will screw your effectiveness.

As for the dungeons, my experience is limited to the Ascalon Catabombs story mode. You know those little veterans with a bronze circle around their "image". Well, I hope you can solo them when they are surrendered by a few trash, because the dungeons are filled with silver mobs as "trash" (harder than bronze veterans) and you can face between 2-4 at a time. The bosses are all gold champion (aka group event champion found in PvE). You are only 5 to tackle them. I don't really count the NPCs that goes with you, they tend to be more Leeroy Jenkins wannabe than anything else.

I'm 28th level now, and it's just really bland to me. I mean, it has a nice flow in terms of combat and movement - and it looks and sounds pretty good. I like that they're trying to reward exploration and crafting - but nothing seems to really matter in this game.
Have you got a good group to play with? That's what it's all about in an MMO, IMHO. If you're just going to play solo, the games designed for solo play will make any MMO look pretty weak.

It is extremely mainstream. I would almost say its a dictionary definition. For some reason it seems to exemplify numerous traits of modern gamers in the MMO genre.

Course I still enjoy it :) but I am only level 16 and I am playing mainly to explore, dive into the events with other players, and follow the personal story line. I doubt I will stick around to long after I reach end-game but who knows what they might have by then.

I am enjoy TSW more ... but not sure what will happen with that game if they loose to many more subscribers. Shame about that - as it has some neat ideas and settings and not as hand holdy as many current games. On the other hand the combat ... can get a little bland and I am only just finishing up blue mountain.

So I am bouncing between this and GW2 for now so I don't burn out on either.

I'm liking it somewhat. F2P sucked me in. I played WoW several years back pretty casually, and that's my only MMO experience.

This really feels similar to WoW to me. Yes, it has differences, and I haven't had much time for it. But really it seems like a deluxe version of wow. On my US server, very few people seem to be chatting, let along greeting you, asking you things. The events happen too soon after another IMO, and it seems like everything just keeps repeating. Like hearing EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY over and over all day long.

Its still pretty enjoyable.

Can anyone recommend a site with basics to advanced overview? I never played GW1, and this has been a little puzzling to me. Finally spent about 30 minutes in menus and swapping out weapons to see how powers work (I'm an elementalist so far). Still would like to read more basics. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom