|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Is discord now a thing?

Default Is discord now a thing?

October 16th, 2017, 15:42
Saw a few "invites" here and there, for example Hentai heroes *cough*, okay, skippit

But then Portia added it: https://discord.gg/2z5zNSC
And today on steam forums I see Elex officially added it's own chatty there: http://discord.gg/vRXJp2n

What's going on? Devs finally understood facebook and twitter fans are not really game fans but soc. network drones? Or something else? What's discord anyway and why is it getting more presence?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)

October 16th, 2017, 16:09
Discord is the best VOIP program at the moment.
Works like a charm, can use it on multiple platforms. Can have multiple channels groups permissions etc.

Its VOIP but also text, image, file transfer etc.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

October 16th, 2017, 16:31
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
Discord is the best VOIP program at the moment.
Works like a charm, can use it on multiple platforms. Can have multiple channels groups permissions etc.

Its VOIP but also text, image, file transfer etc.
Pretty much, me and my friends use it to share links etc as well as talk about those links and games in general.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

October 16th, 2017, 17:34
Yeah, I'd say it's a thing. Been using it for little indie multiplayer games groups like Dominions 4 and For The King. You don't have to sign up to use it, too.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)

October 16th, 2017, 17:40
First time and only time I ever used discord was in conjunction with playing Everquest two, so this was a year or two ago. Great for talking with other players, not so great when those in charge of running the channel get their jollies from banning folks. Haven't used it since I experienced that.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 16th, 2017, 18:05
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
First time and only time I ever used discord was in conjunction with playing Everquest two, so this was a year or two ago. Great for talking with other players, not so great when those in charge of running the channel get their jollies from banning folks. Haven't used it since I experienced that.
Well they can't ban you from discord.. you can always fire up another channel.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 16th, 2017, 18:09
Eh, discord isnt good for guild chat etc, it is much better for talk between your friends.

Damian

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 16th, 2017, 18:53
The problem came from actual EQ developers being in the discord channel, and if you questioned them on topics they deemed untalkables, or disagreed with them openly, it was a sure way to get kicked from the channel. I wasn't in there for long as it just seemed to be an open cesspool of sorts.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

+1:

October 16th, 2017, 19:12
It's definitely "a thing". It's not as promising as some fully open-source, federated solutions, but it's an improvement on the big social media platforms, and at least shows people's willingness to migrate to new services that provide more freedom.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)

October 17th, 2017, 02:22
The problem came from actual EQ developers being in the discord channel, and if you questioned them on topics they deemed untalkables, or disagreed with them openly, it was a sure way to get kicked from the channel. I wasn't in there for long as it just seemed to be an open cesspool of sorts.
Ah yes, there are a lot of stories of EQ dramatics. The 'F2P' + Graphics Upgrade/Downgrade scandal of particular note. Some of them take things way over the top serious. Sorry you had that experience.

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 17th, 2017, 02:44
I've played a session of the Star Wars - Edge of the Empire rpg with a dice rolling plug-in on Discord… Worked fine and good. For what it's worth.
--
"You will find your death pleasant, but your fate unbearable." - Hionhurn the Executioner

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

October 17th, 2017, 04:59
Yeah, first time since 1998 that I've not been subscribed to either EQ 1, 2, or both. Kind of liberating, actually. I might try Pantheon when it comes out but, other than that one, I may be done with online games permanently.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

October 17th, 2017, 19:26
My newish SWTOR guild uses it now, too.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

October 17th, 2017, 19:57
I use it for a couple of my ESO guilds for raid and PvP voice chat.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

October 17th, 2017, 21:22
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Saw a few "invites" here and there, for example Hentai heroes *cough*, okay, skippit

But then Portia added it: https://discord.gg/2z5zNSC
And today on steam forums I see Elex officially added it's own chatty there: http://discord.gg/vRXJp2n

What's going on? Devs finally understood facebook and twitter fans are not really game fans but soc. network drones? Or something else? What's discord anyway and why is it getting more presence?
It's pretty much replaced any other VOIP for MMO guild interaction. It has the added benefit of being a one stop area for anything guild related. Kind of like a VOIP enabled Facebook group. You can even setup a self directed online radio channel. It's popular among the young folk.
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

October 17th, 2017, 21:51
It combine the old VOIP systems used by online gaming guilds and the website (including forums) that goes with it in a simple interface…and as a user I have never seen a single request for $$$ (so I have no idea if you have to pay for anything).

Even official companies are starting to use it (Obsidian Entertainment has an official discord for example).

Funny enough, I ended up using it because the posters of anime/jp novel sub-forums I hanged at moved every spoiler discussions to a discord channel after some rule change happens (i.e spoilers started to be considered copyrights infringement so nobody bothered posting spoilers there anymore).

Then my GW2 guild moved to it and now I got like 10 channels, lol.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

October 17th, 2017, 22:08
How do they make money? It does take money to keep it operational I assume.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)

October 18th, 2017, 11:40
Originally Posted by Myrthos View Post
How do they make money? It does take money to keep it operational I assume.
They are living on "investor" money so far. They have plans to add paid content like "icons", "themes", "cosmetics" and such a things in the future. No idea how such a company will live by that. But maybe people buy a lot of those things.

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2017, 23:05
Sorry if bumping old threads is not allowed, but does this forum have a discord server?

SMcM

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

November 2nd, 2017, 23:50
No, it doesn’t.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Is discord now a thing?