RPG-lite deck/card builder games

Shagnak

SGLF Founder
.. you know, those ones where you have a deck of cards that you build up: Hand of Fate, Slay the Spire, Pathfinder Adventures, etc., etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've played a few, but none seem to be quite as good as they should be.

I've been playing Slay the Spire lately, and that's pretty good. I'll be returning occasionally, I think.
Pathfinder Adventures is enjoyable, but gets old a bit quick.

Some of the others I've tried:
Hand of Fate - hate the hack 'n' slash real time combat. It's not what I want in a deck builder
Book of Demons - love the visual style, but the slow-moving RT gameplay gets very dull.
Guild of Dungeoneering - once, again, like the visual style, but gameplay is a bit simplistic.

Any recs from my fellow Watchers?

Here are a few.:)

1. GWENT: THE WITCHER CARD GAME
  2. THRONEBREAKER: THE WITCHER TALES
  3. THE ELDER SCROLLS: LEGENDS
  4. Tainted Grail: Conquest

Monster Train, not played it but its receiving a lot of praise.

I only played and enjoyed Slay the Spire - accessible, fun, clever and light hearted.

Get tabletop simulator and then there's a large selection of popular card games available on the workshop. LotR LCG, Aeon's End, Arkham Horror LCG, Marvel to name a few of the big ones.

Get tabletop simulator and then there's a large selection of popular card games available on the workshop. LotR LCG, Aeon's End, Arkham Horror LCG, Marvel to name a few of the big ones.

The problem with that is that it just reminds me that I no longer have enough friends to invest in the physical versions of all those games :p
(I have considered Tabletop Simulator in the past, but never got around to pulling the trigger)

I often play solo. Many of the the card games are co-op so technically you don't need other people to play them. Playing virtual does also open avenues to make new friends and/or play with existing friends as it's often easier to get together online rather than IRL.

Dream quest is still a classic. It’s the game that inspired deck builder RPG genre, and is still one of the best. Artwork is awful though so you have to get past that. I put it up there with slay the spire.

Nothing else quite compares to those two games. Monster Train is pretty good though as has been said. You could also try Nowhere Prophet.

Back
Top Bottom