|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo 3 Expansion - Reaper of Souls

Default Diablo 3 Expansion - Reaper of Souls

August 15th, 2013, 19:00
Originally Posted by blackcanopus View Post
This newsbit is biased and full of prejudice, or unprofessional at best.
Sometimes it's better to be more informative and less judgmental, especially when you are posting a newsbit, which is supposed to be more news and less opinion/prejudice.
Are you serious? The indifferent attitude on the news post reflects the audience of this site. Diablo 3 can't really even be called an RPG anymore. It's just an action game.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 15th, 2013, 19:25
This newsbit is biased and full of prejudice, or unprofessional at best.
Sometimes it's better to be more informative and less judgmental, especially when you are posting a newsbit, which is supposed to be more news and less opinion/prejudice.
That's a bit much isn't it? Sounds like you are the one who is biased.

Yme

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 15th, 2013, 20:33
This would also mean the 'Dark Below' they got the copyright for is indeed the next WoW expansion (talk about a really crappy title…).

As for D3, I went back a month ago to see the "great changes" and the "much better now" (I am quoting some buddies), but found it is largely the same, with broken itemization, loot, boring combat mechanics, no immersion, no sense of development, samey skills, and the same pay-to-win AH bullshit that made me quit the first time.

The only way I could make progress with my well-geared level60 character on Inferno is still grinding and buying stuff from the AH (bacause there is 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of something good dropping for you).

I really rather doubt I'll buy this. Excitement factor: 'meh'.

Soulbane

Seeker of knowledge

August 15th, 2013, 22:38
My wife and I enjoyed playing it for a bit, then that was it. It was fun for a while, but it just doesn't have the staying power that Diablo 2 did. And it really should, especially for something that's been in development for over 10 years. I think a big part of it was the AH. The itemization looks appealing down the road, maybe. I miss the King's Sword of the Heavens/Haste days.

And really there's no way D3 should have such high system requirements as it does. Bad engine optimization.

I still had fun, it's just not Blizzard fun. It's just an ok-average game.

It's just not the same without the Blizzard North team. Now Torchlight… THAT one was a blast. Still is
--

Caddy

Broken Screwdriver
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 15th, 2013, 22:48
Originally Posted by Soulbane View Post
The only way I could make progress with my well-geared level60 character on Inferno is still grinding and buying stuff from the AH (bacause there is 0.00000000000000000000000001% chance of something good dropping for you).
That's odd. I completed the game ages ago without touching the AH, either RM or game currency. I don't like the AH, so I don't use it. Hasn't affected my enjoyment one bit.

kalniel

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2013, 23:19
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Bought D3 at launch, got a refund for it; oddly enough account access still not rescinded. And I've yet to ever log back on and desire going beyond the character selection screen. I think that speaks volumes for a game…

It will be interesting to see how well the expansion sells in comparison to the impulse purchase-laden launch of the main game. Many people simply bought based on hype alone and were sorely disappointed.
Agreed. If I may, I'd go further and say they bought based on what was a proven game with D1 & D2. Everyone got blindsided with the abomination that was D3.

jpnole

Watchdog

August 15th, 2013, 23:23
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Great news!

Diablo 3 has been steadily improving and I'm waiting for the 2.0 loot patch before delving back into it again.

An expansion can only make it better.
While D3 has been talking about loot patches for what seems like forever…. Torchlight 2, Marvel Heroes and even the Grim Dawn Alpha have managed to get loot done correctly. No sale here.

jpnole

Watchdog

August 15th, 2013, 23:48
the clever marketing scheme to drive people to the auction house may have seemed liked a good idea on paper, especially since people used eBay to sell EQ characters, but it had the Zynga effect of pushing development to emasculate the fun out of it. That's the sense I get.
--
Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

August 16th, 2013, 04:31
Good. It looks like Blizzard is accepting feedback nicely, and that they are well aware of most issues that make endgame nonexistent. Question is, will they deliver? Remains to be seen, I guess.

Cerberus

Daughter of Janus

August 16th, 2013, 08:27
Originally Posted by jpnole View Post
While D3 has been talking about loot patches for what seems like forever…. Torchlight 2, Marvel Heroes and even the Grim Dawn Alpha have managed to get loot done correctly. No sale here.
TL2, Grim Dawn and Marvel Heroes are rather bland and generic in terms of setting and story. Itemization is better - but that's not enough to keep me playing such games.

Diablo 3 exceeds them significantly when it comes to skill variety and combat flow as well. It's the best ARPG in terms of sheer visceral feedback.

It's true that D3 itemization sucks - and it was downright horrible at launch, but they have been improving it - and I think the 2.0 loot patch might work better than you'd expect.

As much as people enjoy hating on D3 because of the AH and online-only integration - I think they're overdoing it, really.

Well, at least some people sound irrational when they talk about it.

DArtagnan

Mentioned: Post(s)

August 16th, 2013, 11:09
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
So it's biased because I asked are you excited yet? Don't see the problem here.
If you really don't know what a rhetoric question is, then perhaps you shouldn't post newsbits anymore. And if you know what it is, then you should stop playing stupid.

Diablo 3 can't really even be called an RPG anymore. It's just an action game.
Really? Then I don't understand why an RPG forum should post about it.

blackcanopus

Dark Sun

August 16th, 2013, 11:26
Well, Couch, you DID come off as biased - which is in poor taste when you're posting news. You could always comment on the news piece yourself, instead of making your opinion part of the actual newsbit.

Well, that's just my opinion - and I personally don't give a shit so long as the articles themselves remain untainted by personal bias.

DArtagnan

August 16th, 2013, 11:32
perhaps you shouldn't post newsbits anymore.
I ask myself this question every week so what you ask is nothing new. I have to apologize to Dhruin for giving him a hard time.
Well, Couch, you DID come off as biased - which is in poor taste when you're posting news. You could always comment on the news piece yourself, instead of making your opinion part of the actual newsbit.

Well, that's just my opinion - and I personally don't give a shit so long as the articles themselves remain untainted by personal bias.
Maybe I did but it's nothing that's not done on other sites. Oh well can't please everyone.
--
"Haga Berka Gopa Unama Innrev " - Trump Minion #1

Translation: "Make America great again Donald"

Couchpotato

Trump Minion #1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

August 16th, 2013, 11:38
Maybe I did but it's nothing that's not done on other sites. Oh well can't please everyone.
I don't care about other sites, really. I don't remember other news posters adding their personal bias - but as I said, I don't really care.

It's no big deal.

I appreciate your work, I really do - and I think you're a great addition to the site.

But that doesn't mean you can't be a bit more professional and a bit less defensive about criticism

DArtagnan

August 16th, 2013, 11:43
But that doesn't mean you can't be a bit more professional and a bit less defensive about criticism
That right there is the problem I'm not a professional. Just an average guy volunteering his time. When people criticize or complain it makes you feel like why bother?
--

Couchpotato

Trump Minion #1

August 16th, 2013, 11:57
That right there is the problem I'm not a professional. Just an average guy volunteering his time. When people criticize or complain it makes you feel like why bother?
That's one way to react. Another way to react is to listen and think about when criticism might be justified.

It's not like volunteering makes you perfect or beyond reproach.

If that's your attitude, then you should definitely consider not posting news - though I would personally miss your contribution.

There's a reason I wouldn't want to post news myself

People bitching endlessly about the most trivial things would make me quit immediately!

However, sometimes they may have a point.

DArtagnan

August 16th, 2013, 12:00
There's a reason I wouldn't personally want to post news

People bitching endlessly about the most trivial things would make me quit immediately!
Now that I can agree on. I see that in almost every topic. You sure you don't want to post news Dart it has no perks, and plenty of what you hate.

I'll just refrain from adding any little jabs in future posts to save me more headaches.
--

Couchpotato

Trump Minion #1

August 16th, 2013, 12:05
*shrugs* it's flavour, and down to the personality that the site wants to put across.

Rockpapershotgun nearly always put personal opinions into their newsbits, so do most of the hardware sites that I read. It adds a human element, and encourages discussion which in turn helps pages views/ad-revenue and ultimately helps the site stay viable. On the other hand some other sites are little more than news aggregators, which is fine, though I'm capable of creating my own as well. Variety is good - that way we can chose where we browse

kalniel

SasqWatch

August 16th, 2013, 12:08
Now that I can agree on. I see that in almost every topic. You sure you don't want to post news Dart it has no perks, and plenty of what you hate.

I'll just refrain from adding any little jabs in future posts to save me more headaches.
You should do what you feel is right, obviously.

Kalniel is right, I suppose - it's down to personal preference.

I just like my news delivered free of bias - though I still don't think it's much of an issue. There's something about delivering news that makes it a task for the objective mindset - but that's just me.

DArtagnan

August 16th, 2013, 12:14
Really? Then I don't understand why an RPG forum should post about it.
Not a bad point, and some other RPG sites I read don't cover D3 anymore for exactly that reason. But RPGWatch has had pretty wide coverage lately of things that are only loosely RPG-related, so it's not really too surprising that D3 still gets mentioned.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Diablo 3 Expansion - Reaper of Souls