Cyberpunk 2077 - Interviews on Design

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Cyberpunk 2077 is getting alot of writeups and some interesting stuff is emerging. Gamasutra talked about quest design with Patrick Mills while VG24/7 talked to CD Projekt RED about katanas, dismembering, romance, deep RPG systems and the decision to go first person.

Players can single out particular limbs, whether chopping at arms with a katana of blasting out knees with a shotgun. This isn’t spray and pray – you approach an enemy tactically and switch up your weapons based on their defence or skillset.

“When it comes to combat we have three different types of weapons. Each are for a different approach to the gameplay,” says Pietras. “What I can tell you about hand-to-hand combat is that we will have it; where you can use the katana or other weapons. It’s a cool thing because we have a dismembering system. It’s visceral, it’s brutal.”

[...]
Inspirations and philosophy

From a production perspective, Mills says that CD Projekt Red's general goal is to ensure quest designers have ownership over all quests they're authoring. So not only are they conceiving it and pitching it, they're designing the game logic and nursing it to life alongside other designers, programmers, artists, and QA. On his own quests, Mills says he likes to start with a high-level theme or vibrant character that can help anchor the experience, and drive the aforementioned twists he has to work in.

When pushed to discuss inspiration outside the original Cyberpunk tabletop game, Mills jumps to a somewhat surprising reference --- the title of a Blonde Readhead album. "The title is 'Fake Can Be Just As Good,' and I go "okay, I like that, let's figure out how to do that."

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

I have never read or played any of the Cyberpunk stuff. Is there any magic or psionics?

I have never read or played any of the Cyberpunk stuff. Is there any magic or psionics?

No fantasy in the settings.

Although, a Netrunner can hack cyberbrains so psionics is kinda in. Sorta.

Their lead designer said something along the lines there won't be instant "cool" takedowns in the middle of the fight, to avoid breaking the flow of combat.

That was no brainer, TW3 also runs finishers only when all other hostiles are "incapacitated".

Last edited:
Trying not to fall for the hype - based on my experience with their previous game. But it's hard.

This sounds truly amazing, to be honest.

Wait…
Darth Tagnan = DArtagnan?
If so, welcome back again… :lol:

Welcome back, DArt.

I think you need a minimum x number of post to use like feature?

Welcome back @Darth Tagnan for the third time.:highfive:

Has it been a year or more since you last left? As I was off-site for most of 2017.
Did we get rid of the "like" feature? :)
It's called thumbs up and usually on the bottom right next to quick reply.

Upping my post count is probably something I can manage ;)

Thanks!

Trying not to fall for the hype - based on my experience with their previous game.
Classic. The best game that currently exists out there yet you have to find something to nitpick.

At least you didn't make a goty list where MGS5 is above it like "professionals" at PCgamer site did.

Classic. The best game that currently exists out there yet you have to find something to nitpick.
The product is so low on gameplay it takes an effort to label it a game. Except that, it is nitpicking...

Stay away from my garden Chien. Those plants aren't for inexperienced consumers!

Back
Top Bottom