What are you reading ? - Page 139 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?

Default What are you reading ?

January 5th, 2021, 03:32
wiretripped, Three Body Problem is in my queue. Let us know how it is.

I am re-reading Ancillary Justice, after appreciating the more character-oriented second book Ancillary Sword.

Why? Because when I read the first book, a few years ago, I was sort of underwhelmed, even though it's the only book to simultaneously win the Hugo, Nebula, and Arthur C. Clarke awards.

The book was ponderous, disorienting, and made oblique references to concepts that weren't explained until much later in the book (and even then not very clearly). It plodded at times. At other times, sped so fast I couldn't quite figure out exactly what was going on, even after multiple reads. The author's use of run-on sentences at times to connote a racing mind certainly didn't help with understanding. Calling everybody a she was also confusing. It was not an easy read.

I finally picked up the second book, and found the protagonist very likable and well-written. The world and character concepts gelled in my brain. I really wanted to better understand the history of the protagonist. So, despite my lukewarm feelings towards the first book a few years ago, I've been reading it again.

Let me tell you, my re-read of the first book has been absolutely fantastic. I never would have thought a second read of a book would be so much more interesting. The pieces make a lot more sense now, and the hints of hidden depths are are now revelatory rather than disorienting. I guess most of my other reading is simple in comparison.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

January 5th, 2021, 15:39
In my opinion, the book is a mastery of the rest like the rest of King's books. I love his writing style, how he introduces him to the story, how he guides the reader through his thoughts and finally surprises. He is one of my favorite writers precisely because you don't know what's going to happen

SteveO

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

January 13th, 2021, 18:01
. . . and now for something completely different.
By recommendation, I downloaded a wonderful CYOA book, with a wonderfully silly title:
Choices That Matter: And The Sun Went Out by Tin Man Games (PC and Switch)

Now then.
This stuff is massive. CTM:ATSWO is a proper novel sized reading material, with LOTS of binary choices in-between - and thus, several different paths over the story.

The novel is a fast paced sci-fi thriller, with a wonderfully wacky premise: our sun goes out for a few hours, and obviously, this is kinda unexpected. Scientists are investigating the phenomena, but someone murders them.

Silly premise, yes, but the story is actually quite good pulp fiction, well written and genuinely gripping. The choices are also very organic, the kind of stuff you may think when reading a regular novel: e.g. should Hallorann rush straight to the Overlook Hotel (and die) or should he be prepared first (and may live)? (wink, wink, Mr King)

The app is very reader-friendly: the text is easy to read (dyslexic fonts are available should you require), you can bookmark, review earlier passages, you can even compare your choices to other readers. The Switch version is preferable: its portable nature is great for reading anywhere.

Kudos to the writer collective for this -- this is truly book reading experience Version 2.
Highly recommended: both as a novelty, and as a solid pulp fiction book.

duerer

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

January 13th, 2021, 19:50
Still reading Commodore: A Company on the Edge, but since it's about technology and what I'm doing is also tech-oriented, I was looking for something else just to relax

And apparently, I had a (physical) book that I hadn't read yet: Making Money (Discworld #36) by Terry Pratchett.

For those who know a bit about the Discworld series, it's in the Moist von Lipwig theme, and coming right after Going Postal (that any respectable geek should love unconditionally).

Redglyph

Sentinel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

January 13th, 2021, 23:06
Enjoying “ The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century” by Ian Mortimer. It is very detailed and a slow read … but really well researched and does a great job placing you in the 1300s in England.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

January 15th, 2021, 07:39
Since I finished the Harry Potter movies, I figured I'd want to also finish the books. Very lighthearted and fun.

I also bought the whole Malazan Book of the Fallen series and the Stormlight Archive books, since I keep hearing about them.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

January 15th, 2021, 13:12
I've once again started reading the Lexicon Of Celtic Mythology by Sylvia and Paul F. Botheroyd - it's a very ood book, seemingly available only in German language ? but it you see it in English language, I can really recommend it.
It focuses mostly on Irish and Welsh mythology, but other Celts are mentioned, too.
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

January 15th, 2021, 16:39
Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Since I finished the Harry Potter movies, I figured I'd want to also finish the books. Very lighthearted and fun.
I have been working my way through the HP series as well - every 3rd book is a HP book, on 'Half Blood Prince' right now (sidelined to focus solely on the Ian Mortimer book). First time reading them since we read aloud with the kids when they first came out.
--
-- Mike

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 21st, 2021, 20:00
Finished Making Money, that was fun. I never liked the parts with the wizards though, I don't know why.

Now, reading The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis. The mini-series got my curiosity, we'll see how's the book like.
I forgot most if not all the openings, it's been a while…

Redglyph

Sentinel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

January 21st, 2021, 21:25
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Enjoying “ The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England: A Handbook for Visitors to the Fourteenth Century” by Ian Mortimer. It is very detailed and a slow read … but really well researched and does a great job placing you in the 1300s in England.
So I finished this book - it was quite good and I recommend it if you are a fan of history.

Finishing up Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, which is so much better as a book than ‘Order of the Phoenix’ (sadly the Half Blood Prince movie is the worst of the series IMO) and early into To Sleep in a Sea of Stars by Eragon author Christopher Paolini. Not sure what I think so far … and it is a huge book, let’s see if I get through it.
--
-- Mike
Last edited by txa1265; January 21st, 2021 at 23:20.

txa1265

SasqWatch

January 21st, 2021, 23:15
I just finished Return of the Crimson Guard by Ian C. Esslemont. Kind of essential reading in the combined series , though, given the major upheaval in the make-up of certain… organisations. I imagine skipping it would have resulted in some "Huh!?" moments in some later Erikson novels.
Once again, massively complex, but with the epic bits not as well written, quite frankly. Wasn't as enjoyable a read as the six or so Malazan novels I've read by Erikson, but had its moments.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

FIRST KNIGHT OF THE ORDER OF THE BLOB

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

January 22nd, 2021, 05:39
Yesterday morning I finished the Well of Ascension, book two of the Mistborn trilogy. This is my first re-read of the series, having initially read it some ten years ago, and the second book, while good, seems a bit less-than to me when compared to the first. There is some important character development, and a new threat for the people involved to deal with, yet it just seems a bit subdued. It does bring up a new and serious threat, which leads us into book three, the Hero of Ages, which I started last night.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What are you reading ?