Bethesda Softworks - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. game in in development?

To answer your question.. I don't have a particular developer in mind, but I wouldn't trust any American studio to make a Stalker game that retains the same feel and atmosphere of the titles developed by GSC Game World.

+1

I am one of people that likes bethesda but I wouldn't want them anywhere near this.I don't think bethesda can match atmosphere and interior/exterior design also I think game would be much easier which some might consider to be good but I think that huge and sometimes imbalanced difficulty is part of Stalker's charm.Game will probably be better than original in some aspects but I don't think it will be proper Stalker sequel.

To answer your question.. I don't have a particular developer in mind, but I wouldn't trust any American studio to make a Stalker game that retains the same feel and atmosphere of the titles developed by GSC Game World.

I think people are incredible naive if they think another dev can easily just "copy" someone elses game and create the exact same atmosphere in a follow up, it's just not gonna happen and it's usually not even the idea. It's more comparable to a group doing a cover. They dont do that to make it sound 100% like the original tune, rather they create it in their own way.

I love Bethesda, but I'd rather see a foreign developer get a shot at Stalker. Mostly because I'd prefer Bethesda to stay focused on their two IPs. Zenimax could publish something made by foreign studios, as they have a presence in Europe. Let Larian or CDPR or a similar group have a shot at it. Zenimax could absorb one of these entities or just borrow them like they did Obsidian.

As far as Pete Hines being pissed at Obsidian, that's silly. He might have been a little peeved over the meta critic statements, but he's a smart guy who recognizes that FNV made Bethesda millions and millions of dollars. I wouldn't be surprised to see another collaboration at some point, if the gang at Obsidian is willing. Obsidian might negotiate a little better the next time.

I'd also love to see a Dungeon Siege IV. DS3 was an okay game and I think it made enough for DS4 to be a possibility. They just need to ramp up the loot significantly and make the towns more lively. It was silly that Odo(rous) stood around for almost the whole game. They could add a couple more classes and tweak the skills, but the engine was very nice and there were a lot of good pieces to the game.

I think "hardcore" is a better word than "realism" for this game. As for "living, breathing world" yeah, definitely. That usually just means monsters/animals, NPC's and different factions arent as heavily scripted as in most games, they roam freely and can fight each others etc and that NPC's can have work and/or sleep routines. It's sad how most games still lacks this simple, yet extremely effective way of immersing you in the world. Piranha Bytes, Bethesda and GSC utilizes this. I think many Beth fans loves the stalker games because it's very similar in that way.

I think "hardcore" is a better word than "realism" for this game.

"Gritty" is the work I would use.

I guess the later games must have been better at the "wandering critters" thing. In the first one especially you'd run into the same guys fighting the same battles over and over and over...

Gameplay wise i would still say it's quite "hardcore", like you actually have to aim in this game, and you can't just run into a fight and hope for the best like in most modern shooters.

I don't think i've played any of the STALKER games unmodded though, so my opinion might not be true to how it plays originally..

I think people are incredible naive if they think another dev can easily just "copy" someone elses game and create the exact same atmosphere in a follow up, it's just not gonna happen and it's usually not even the idea. It's more comparable to a group doing a cover. They dont do that to make it sound 100% like the original tune, rather they create it in their own way.

It's not about trying to get an exact same copy, it's about not straying too far from the original feel and atmosphere. That's not likely to happen if a sequel gets made by an American developer. You might get a good game, but I doubt it'll be a good Stalker game.

It'll be more polished for sure and also lot more mainstream. It'll be a lot easier and will probably include multi-player. It'll also probably sell more copies than all the other Stalker games combined, and the younger generation will love it.

yeah you're just repeating what i said. it wont be the same atmosphere, correct. it would be sad to see it more streamlined and less "hardcore", but imo, better than nothing, it's not like anyone will be forced to buy / play it.

Yes better than no attempt of a sequel at all.. i really like FO3 and FO:NV even if they are different from the previous games. I'm not gonna jump on the hate train until i've actually tested it, or at least know a little bit more than what we currently do.

Sure, but I don't think the rest of us were basing our opinion on the assumption that the alternative would be no game at all.

Sure, but I don't think the rest of us were basing our opinion on the assumption that the alternative would be no game at all.

That would have been the most natural thing since they closed down the studio.. It's not like the series sold a ton and i highly doubt publishers were standing in line to buy this license. It does have a small and strong fanbase with a good modding community, just like FO had, so it makes sense if Beth bought it, they do seem to care about that.

That would have been the most natural thing since they closed down the studio.. It's not like the series sold a ton and i highly doubt publishers were standing in line to buy this license. It does have a small and strong fanbase with a good modding community, just like FO had, so it makes sense if Beth bought it..

I don't think anyone here is arguing that Bethesda getting it is or isn't better than the IP never seeing the light of day again. That would be an entirely different debate altogether. Anyways, I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Bah, Bethesda's two most recent games have much better execution with game atmosphere. I think they can and probably will improve stalker on that front. My big concern with Bethesda is that the game will have a consolitis user interface and have many bugs that won't be patched until the community does it. Also I have concerns with Beth's reputation on the story & writing front.

But I also think Bethesda could improve the RPG elements. This is a good franchise for them to take over from our perspective also because they so openly embrace modding. It's a PC franchise and Bethesda's roots are on the PC, too. I can't think of a better developer to take over stalker.

Skyrim with guns? ;)
If they develop it in-house, that's all we can expect.

At least Bethesda is improving with every release since Oblivion. If they'll keep it up we might have decent or even good combat in their next game ;)

I can't think of a better developer to take over stalker.

Piranha Bytes or Bohemia Interactive could have been interesting.. But i think i agree with you.

*Thinks of the somewhat grim yet unlikely sounding prospect of this story being true*

"I saw an anomaly yesterday. Horrible things, I avoid them whenever I can..."

Err, No, thanks. :)

I bought and thoroughly enjoyed all of the Stalker games and sincerely doubt that a Western developer could adequately capture the mood and atmosphere portrayed in those games. These games feature a uniquely Eastern European post-apocalyptic ambience that simply goes in a different direction to more traditional post-apocalyptic games. F03 is poles apart in tone.

I'm also not convinced that just because of a generalised similarity based upon perspective and gameplay style (first person, free-roaming, open world) that Bethesda would necessarily be suited to this series for the obvious reasons I've mentioned.
Let franchises die an honourable death and the ashes for the ideas which remain, stay in the lap of the original developers.

Back
Top Bottom