LOTRO and DDO changing hands

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Transition F.A.Q.
Announcement:

Greetings,

Today we have some momentous news! The game teams responsible for The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) and Dungeons & Dragons Online (DDO) are now moving from Turbine to Standing Stone Games, a newly formed indie game studio. In addition, we’ve partnered with Daybreak Games to provide global publishing services. They’ve had a long, successful history developing and publishing MMOs, and we’re happy to lean on their expertise.

With the announcement out of the way, I wanted to talk to you about what all this means.

We're embarking on an exciting adventure as Standing Stone Games, a newly-independent studio staffed by people who have been working on DDO and LOTRO for many years. The teams remain very much committed to both games and are thrilled to continue development and operations of these games as an independent studio. This is an opportunity for us to bring about our dreams while still working on two of the biggest licenses in video games. It's a huge honor, and for you this means your games will continue to grow and improve. We love to focus on games with a high level of depth and scope, and we can't wait to show you what the future brings.

Although a great many exciting things are happening on our end, you'll be able to continue playing the game(s) you enjoy with as little interruption as possible. Our development continues on track, and the plans we have already announced remain firmly in our future view. Again, although we are a new studio, we are also the same developers who have been and will continue to work on our games.

Our success has always been possible because of your support. As we move forward, this is more important than ever. The ultimate goal of our new studio is to continue to bring you amazing experiences. We are excited for the future, and we’re thrilled to have you with us on this journey.

Here's to great games, epic adventures, and memorable times with friends!

~Sev

I so didn't expect that. I expected Turbine to be unplugged by WB and both games to die.

Note, it's a bit unclear who owns Standing Stone Studio (it could still be Turbine/WB) and if Daybreak bought LOTRO/DDO or if they are only being paid to do the publishing services worldwide.

There was a time I tried DDO. Had a few friends too...
It sucked. Sorry Corwin.
Abandoned it and never looked back.

For lotrO heard different impressions. Some said it's genuine WoW killer, some said it's the worst MMO ever.

Anyhow, the transition in some new hands could be a good news. Games can benefit from it. As long as the new owner is not Perfect World or Bigpoint.

Do you actually like anything joxer?? Anything at all?

Mr negative waves aside, Daybreak Games took over Planetside 2 last year I think it was, I have no idea how it's been going since then tbh. Nice to see these two titles aren't going to be unplugged just yet. I played and enjoyed a bit of DDO and have always wanted to go back and try LotR properly. So many games, so little time.

You ment to ask - do I like anything MAINSTREAM at all? ;)

I don't like any game that passes QA from Jodorowsky's Technopriests. Can't find the pic.

Back
Top Bottom