Empty feeling while playing games

I get there too but for me it's not about losing interest in games in general, I just start to fret that I'm spending too much time on one game when I have so many other good ones in my backlog! If the game has an actual endpoint I will push through to completion because I will feel bad about that if I don't, and I hardly ever return to games I have abandoned. Starting something new is always exciting for me...
I just realized games = women o_o

Simple solution; stop playing games for a few month and find something more rewarding. I can't tell you what you will find more rewarding but clearly more games is not the answer.

Ok, this is something I've felt some years ago, but recently, as I started spending more hours playing games I started feeling it again.

Basically I've spent about 20h in Rise of the Tomb Raider, which is a very solid game with fantastic visuals and gameplay, hoping to finish it and start on Shadow. After having entered met up with Jacob again and entered the soviet mine with him, I started to feel very tired of playing the game.

It was a feeling of tiredness and of going through the motions. And objectively speaking, the motions are very good. But I really started to feel like I was playing in order to complete checklists of busy-work the developers have placed in the game. I'm kind of OCD about finishing as much as possible, so of course I'm going through everything.

So, with this feeling, I again started to have thoughts about what the hell I was doing. What am I spending my time on? Is this the most valuable usage of my time? And of course it isn't. But it's very easy to get into a game, compared to doing something worthwhile that actually takes effort and willpower.

So, that's where I'm at right now. Pondering again, what to do. I don't think I want to quit gaming completely, but I would loved to find a way to really be able to filter the games that are must-play from the 90% of games which are good, but forgettable none-the-less. And as I know myself, I'm very difficult at putting up filters. I'm much better at taking absolute stances. As in, I either play anything, or play nothing.

I'm not really sure why I'm sharing this. Maybe I just want to hear that I'm not the only one feeling this. I'll have to do some serious thinking again.

I get this too with ADHD, and completely understand. Even with games that should be holding my attention. On the flip side, when i'm on amphetamines, average things all of a sudden become engaging.

So you're treated with amphetamines for ADHD? I'd like to see how that works for me. I've had ADHD since a young child and never gave medicine a chance to work (always was afraid of side effects, etc..) If I can try an ADHD I'd love to, since I could really use the concentration and motivation aspects. Your post in the other thread about dopamine was really useful and interesting, too, I appreciate that. Please share more info on your ADHD treatment if you get a chance. Thanks man. You guys rock.

1) Whatever you're playing is just not engaging enough to stimulate that area of your brain (or isn't anymore). Those games just might simply not be entertaining for you anymore, or at this point in time.

My own theory of adrenaline addiction just means that games with lesser production of adrenaline are less liked. This might be especially true for extrovert people.

So you're treated with amphetamines for ADHD? I'd like to see how that works for me. I've had ADHD since a young child and never gave medicine a chance to work (always was afraid of side effects, etc..) If I can try an ADHD I'd love to, since I could really use the concentration and motivation aspects. Your post in the other thread about dopamine was really useful and interesting, too, I appreciate that. Please share more info on your ADHD treatment if you get a chance. Thanks man. You guys rock.

BTW, welcome back! We missed you! And absolutely I can share my experience with you.

Currently i'm taking Lisdexamfetamine (or Vyvanse as the brand name). The big plus of this, is that it's a Prodrug. If you're not familiar with a Prodrug, it means that it's only activated once it's metabolized, and not when it's digested. In other words, it has ingredients that make your body produce the active compounds, rather than getting the active compounds straight from the pill. This sidesteps issues with digestion and tolerance. Instead of just introducing a foreign object, it's essentially giving your body instructions on what to produce properly. This makes it much more tolerable for many people, with less side effects.

Originally the drug was created for children. So my doctor started me off on very low levels (average effective dose for children is around 50mg). Since every body is different, it takes a few visits and tries to get the right dose. I've also found since my body metabolizes it very fast, what should last 12 to 14 hours, only last about 6 for me. I started off at a 20mg dose for the entire day, but now do a 30mg dose in the morning, and 20mg dose in the afternoon.

When I took my first dose, I got pretty emotional. Not because it messed with my mood, or because I was upset, but because of the moment of realization I had. For the first time I was able to say "Whoa. So this is what it's like to feel normal." And for the first time in what seemed like years, I was able to complete a day of work without this mental struggle of finding ways to keep myself motivated. I'm able to focus and concentrate on normal everyday things, that others probably take for granted.

I've always been envious of other people's lack of energy required for getting things done, but I didn't realize that was because I actually had a problem. I envied people that could be given an assignment in school, and complete it on time with detail. I envy people at work that can just keep working and do their damn job, instead of being distracted and lethargic all day. In elementary school, I was often in the principals office or detention. My peers would even mention this too "Man, you're always in trouble". Yet I couldn't understand how I got there. I was brought up with a strong moral compass, and tried to be nice to people. Everyone else was doing the bullying. Why weren't they in detention? The problem was I didn't have proper control over my emotions and impulses at a young age. I learned coping mechanisms however, so when I reached junior high, I faked it with sheer willpower. Tests and exams were very easy for me because the pressure and intensity was enough to stimulate my brain for properly working concentration and memory. I could give you the correct math answer, but I was lost if you told me to show my work. It was the massive homework projects, the self-directed work at school, the group projects that I couldn't complete. Give me something that i'm passionate about though, i'd get an A. That didn't happen very often though, and when I graduated, half my classes were hovering a few points around failing. I had some understanding teachers though. I had 2 cases where I was about couple percentage points from graduating, and they helped me get some extra credit projects so that I ended up graduating. I've been lucky enough to have jobs that I enjoy, so i've been able to keep them long term, but for years it's been a struggle to keep motivated, even with interesting jobs.

Having ADHD means we have a handicap (it's not always a bad thing though, and there's advantages we have, if we know how to use them). There's no way around that. If they took an MRI of our brain, our prefrontal cortex would not look that same as a "normal" brain. We've developed coping mechanisms to deal with it, that's our wheelchair. Life is stairs. Other people can walk up them with ease, while we have to either find another way, or suffer as we tackle it head on. Taking ADHD medication was my wheelchair ramp. "So this is what it's like to go up the stairs so easy!". After being this way for decades though, we have advantages. A paraplegic who uses their (non-motorized) wheelchair on a regular basis can probably out-bench / out-pull-up the average person (apologies if there are any paraplegics reading this that my comparison is stereotyping).

I guess the point i'm getting at, is that our ADHD isn't going away. Giving someone else ramps and wheelchairs won't make their life better, but it will make ours better. This is why i'm taking the medication.

I haven't had any side effects other than than the the initial headaches when adjusting to it, or the crash when first coming off of it (very similar to adjusting and/or withdrawal from coffee), since it's a stimulant. It doesn't feel like depression medication like SSRIs or SNRIs, where you need to be taking them for weeks before they take effect. The results should be immediate, within 1 to 2 hours (if you have the right dose), unless the dose is too low. Also, have to remember to eat/drink. This will kill your appetite (but make you ravenous when it wears off).

I can see amphetamines possibly being an issue for people with anxiety or hypertension. I take a few natural calming supplements/aminos so that I get proper sleep, such as 5-HTP, L-Theanine, Vitamin D as well as melatonin at a specific time, so as to keep my circadian rhythms in check. I haven't had any sleep issues yet (other than sometimes forgetting how late it is).

It's also allowed me to keep regular physical activity, and eat properly too. And since sleep, exercise and diet, is one of the lowest hanging fruits for regulating hormones and neurotransmitters, it's producing a good runaway effect.

Anyways, sorry. Large wall of text. I feel like I hijacked this thread too, so mods feel free to move it. It was strangely therapeutic to write it though. Let me know if you have any questions.

BTW, welcome back! We missed you! And absolutely I can share my experience with you.

Currently i'm taking Lisdexamfetamine (or Vyvanse as the brand name). The big plus of this, is that it's a Prodrug. If you're not familiar with a Prodrug, it means that it's only activated once it's metabolized, and not when it's digested. In other words, it has ingredients that make your body produce the active compounds, rather than getting the active compounds straight from the pill. This sidesteps issues with digestion and tolerance. Instead of just introducing a foreign object, it's essentially giving your body instructions on what to produce properly. This makes it much more tolerable for many people, with less side effects.

Originally the drug was created for children. So my doctor started me off on very low levels (average effective dose for children is around 50mg). Since every body is different, it takes a few visits and tries to get the right dose. I've also found since my body metabolizes it very fast, what should last 12 to 14 hours, only last about 6 for me. I started off at a 20mg dose for the entire day, but now do a 30mg dose in the morning, and 20mg dose in the afternoon.

When I took my first dose, I got pretty emotional. Not because it messed with my mood, or because I was upset, but because of the moment of realization I had. For the first time I was able to say "Whoa. So this is what it's like to feel normal." And for the first time in what seemed like years, I was able to complete a day of work without this mental struggle of finding ways to keep myself motivated. I'm able to focus and concentrate on normal everyday things, that others probably take for granted.

I've always been envious of other people's lack of energy required for getting things done, but I didn't realize that was because I actually had a problem. I envied people that could be given an assignment in school, and complete it on time with detail. I envy people at work that can just keep working and do their damn job, instead of being distracted and lethargic all day. In elementary school, I was often in the principals office or detention. My peers would even mention this too "Man, you're always in trouble". Yet I couldn't understand how I got there. I was brought up with a strong moral compass, and tried to be nice to people. Everyone else was doing the bullying. Why weren't they in detention? The problem was I didn't have proper control over my emotions and impulses at a young age. I learned coping mechanisms however, so when I reached junior high, I faked it with sheer willpower. Tests and exams were very easy for me because the pressure and intensity was enough to stimulate my brain for properly working concentration and memory. I could give you the correct math answer, but I was lost if you told me to show my work. It was the massive homework projects, the self-directed work at school, the group projects that I couldn't complete. Give me something that i'm passionate about though, i'd get an A. That didn't happen very often though, and when I graduated, half my classes were hovering a few points around failing. I had some understanding teachers though. I had 2 cases where I was about couple percentage points from graduating, and they helped me get some extra credit projects so that I ended up graduating. I've been lucky enough to have jobs that I enjoy, so i've been able to keep them long term, but for years it's been a struggle to keep motivated, even with interesting jobs.

Having ADHD means we have a handicap (it's not always a bad thing though, and there's advantages we have, if we know how to use them). There's no way around that. If they took an MRI of our brain, our prefrontal cortex would not look that same as a "normal" brain. We've developed coping mechanisms to deal with it, that's our wheelchair. Life is stairs. Other people can walk up them with ease, while we have to either find another way, or suffer as we tackle it head on. Taking ADHD medication was my wheelchair ramp. "So this is what it's like to go up the stairs so easy!". After being this way for decades though, we have advantages. A paraplegic who uses their (non-motorized) wheelchair on a regular basis can probably out-bench / out-pull-up the average person (apologies if there are any paraplegics reading this that my comparison is stereotyping).

I guess the point i'm getting at, is that our ADHD isn't going away. Giving someone else ramps and wheelchairs won't make their life better, but it will make ours better. This is why i'm taking the medication.

I haven't had any side effects other than than the the initial headaches when adjusting to it, or the crash when first coming off of it (very similar to adjusting and/or withdrawal from coffee), since it's a stimulant. It doesn't feel like depression medication like SSRIs or SNRIs, where you need to be taking them for weeks before they take effect. The results should be immediate, within 1 to 2 hours (if you have the right dose), unless the dose is too low. Also, have to remember to eat/drink. This will kill your appetite (but make you ravenous when it wears off).

I can see amphetamines possibly being an issue for people with anxiety or hypertension. I take a few natural calming supplements/aminos so that I get proper sleep, such as 5-HTP, L-Theanine, Vitamin D as well as melatonin at a specific time, so as to keep my circadian rhythms in check. I haven't had any sleep issues yet (other than sometimes forgetting how late it is).

It's also allowed me to keep regular physical activity, and eat properly too. And since sleep, exercise and diet, is one of the lowest hanging fruits for regulating hormones and neurotransmitters, it's producing a good runaway effect.

Anyways, sorry. Large wall of text. I feel like I hijacked this thread too, so mods feel free to move it. It was strangely therapeutic to write it though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey man, thank you so much for this post. I can't thank you enough really. It helped me understand my own condition and I'm going to ask my psychiatrist and therapist about doing this. You just basically described my own life, too, growing up and I never knew what the cause of it was. I'm actually excited to see my therapist now and talk about this. So thank you so much. Maybe the mods can move this to the depression thread I made herein off topic, as that has other medical advice as well. So thank you again. You rock.

I am on Effexor XR right now though, which I think is an SSRI. Is that going to affect it in any way? I do have depression, anxiety is not my biggest concern right now but the depression is. I'm also on an anti-psychotic but that is a monthly shot and shouldn't have any side effects. I know you're not a doctor and anyone reading this should get professional advice, but I'm curious in your opinion as well since you've been through it.

and thanks for the welcome back. It's good to be back especially when everyone is so friendly and helpful now.:)

Hey man, thank you so much for this post. I can't thank you enough really. It helped me understand my own condition and I'm going to ask my psychiatrist and therapist about doing this. You just basically described my own life, too, growing up and I never knew what the cause of it was. I'm actually excited to see my therapist now and talk about this. So thank you so much. Maybe the mods can move this to the depression thread I made herein off topic, as that has other medical advice as well. So thank you again. You rock.

I am on Effexor XR right now though, which I think is an SSRI. Is that going to affect it in any way? I do have depression, anxiety is not my biggest concern right now but the depression is. I'm also on an anti-psychotic but that is a monthly shot and shouldn't have any side effects. I know you're not a doctor and anyone reading this should get professional advice, but I'm curious in your opinion as well since you've been through it.

and thanks for the welcome back. It's good to be back especially when everyone is so friendly and helpful now.:)

Hey, i'm really glad my ramblings could be of use! I hope that's able to let you discuss and make plans with your doctor to get where you need.

As far as I know, yes there are interactions between them since they affect similar parts of the brain, but there are people who take them in combination. Some interactions can be serious like Serotonin Syndrome, so make it a priority to find out. I have no experience with combinations though, so "talk to the doctor" is as much as I can tell you for that.

Hey, i'm really glad my ramblings could be of use! I hope that's able to let you discuss and make plans with your doctor to get where you need.

As far as I know, yes there are interactions between them since they affect similar parts of the brain, but there are people who take them in combination. Some interactions can be serious like Serotonin Syndrome, so make it a priority to find out. I have no experience with combinations though, so "talk to the doctor" is as much as I can tell you for that.

Yeah, I've heard of that syndrome, deadly. I'll talk to my psychiatrist for sure about it. I have to be evaluated at another clinic for ADHD but just never got up there to get it done. I'm going to, though, for sure. I'd love to be able to just focus and concentrate on things again. It's always been a big problem for me, which is why I rarely finish anything I start.

High Sensitivity often get mixed up with ADHS, too.

I limit my games. Compared to my friends and people here I might as well play none lol. If I play 2-3 games in a year that is good. But then I play only games I really, really like and I focus not on what games other people consider good, or edgy, or so on. I play only what I like myself.

I also like games where I can role play, create stories around my character, and get very immersed and involved in the world. Which usually means open world games like TES, FO, DAO, NWN, etc.

Some games I may only play once or twice and enjoy but the ones that really hold my attention are the open world ones.

I also don't worry about what I "should" be doing with my time as defined by some arbitrary societal values. I do what I want with my free time as long as I take care of life responsibilities first - work, chores, home care, dogs, personal health, etc. Free time? I do what I like - walk the dogs, play video games, read books, chat online, and so on.

Everything in moderation and do what you enjoy without worrying about what you think others expect you to do for enjoyment.

High Sensitivity often get mixed up with ADHS, too.

Or they could have both.

There's many overlapping symptoms of different disorders. Bipolar and Borderline Personality can be confused (they even have the same acronym: BPD), ADHD and the Autism Spectrum, even Anxiety and Panic Attacks can mimic allergies and anaphylatic shock.

ADHD is often diagnosed with something else. Just like Type 2 Diabetes is often diagnosed something else (kidney failure, PCOS, fatty liver, etc). Having ADHD can lead to other issues like addictions and eating disorders, depression, SPS, etc.

The problem with SPS is there can be correlating markers, but it's not necessarily a physical measurement (yet, at least). Since SPS is not a disorder but an acquired personality trait, it's usually the progressing result of something else.

With ADHD, it's a physical issue with the brain that can be measured with an MRI (which is why it's frustrating when people try to discredit it as not a real condition, but that's a rant for another day):

STironscanLede.jpg

You can see the difference between non-ADHD brains (as well as how much a medicated ADHD brain matches a non-ADHD control subject).

Probably the easiest test between a HSP and an ADHD, is if you can often put them in a quiet room with no distractions and have them able to concentrate on a boring task, but that won't help if they have both.

Back
Top Bottom