Horizon Zero Dawn - Release Day

Unfortunately it crashes at startup for me - no error message - nothing. :(

Maybe my CPU is too old. But a messagebox "Your hardware is not supported" would be nice.

Happens with other games as well. I have only once been able to start the Bayala game, even although I think I should meet the requirements.

Did you check the system requirements before you bought it?

I'll buy it regardless one day. For the future.For when I'll be buying a new PC. Maybe in 10 years or so.

Happens with other games as well. I have only once been able to start the Bayala game, even although I think I should meet the requirements.
Happens in LOTS of other games. I sit in Steam forums a lot and, honestly, it's pretty rare for me to get through a game of any length without seeing one or two people saying they tried to start the game and just got a black (or sometimes white) screen.

Diagnosing the issue is almost impossible because there's no hint as to what's going wrong. You can look in the Windows event log and sometimes get lucky but, 95% of the time, you just see some ugly hexadecimal and the name of the exe that's running. Even people who don't change hardware at all can get the issue thanks to OS or virus scanner changes, or even plugging something into a USB port that confuses the game.

Wow, lots of people reporting issues on Steam about running it... I don't know how ports get released in this kind of state. It's especially too bad for this game, which I played on PS4 and honestly think it's a steller game. For those having tech issues, cross your fingers they fix 'em because its a game worth playing.

Wow, lots of people reporting issues on Steam about running it… I don't know how ports get released in this kind of state. It's especially too bad for this game, which I played on PS4 and honestly think it's a steller game. For those having tech issues, cross your fingers they fix 'em because its a game worth playing.

I think a lot of them are full of shit. Either that or they have a software/hardware conflict in their system (or outdated drivers), and they're too lazy to figure it out so they're blaming the game.

I see people claiming it runs like crap on their i-9 9900K + RTX 2XXX setup, while it runs just fine for me on my 5 year-old 4790K + GTX 1080.

I think a lot of them are full of shit. Either that or they have a software/hardware conflict in their system, and they're too lazy to figure it out so they're blaming the game.

This is often the case. This kind of stuff is white noise to me at this point because it's so prevalent. I've been told that countless games are completely broken while playing said game with no major issues.

I've read on a German games website that a low number of PCIe lanes might cause the problems. So running a video card using few lanes might give you a worse performance than a weaker card using more lanes.

This is often the case. This kind of stuff is white noise to me at this point because it's so prevalent. I've been told that countless games are completely broken while playing said game with no major issues.

I don't disagree with this or JDR13's comments. I think there's a lot of truth to what you say - and yeah, there are also a lot of lazy whiners on Steam... but as well, at some point, if there's a lot of issues being reported, you know there's got to be some stuff with the port that wasn't done well or tested enough.

It's running fine for me on Ultra settings, but I'm still in the prologue so I'm not sure if it gets more demanding later on.

It's just "ok" so far. It definitely has the feel of a console game. It still shows quest markers even though I have them turned off in the settings. Not sure if that's a bug or if I need to hit another key to turn them off.

There also doesn't appear to be a config file, so no tweaking beyond what's available in the settings menu which is disappointing.

So, like red dead redemption or grand theft auto feel like a console game?

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I don't disagree with this or JDR13's comments. I think there's a lot of truth to what you say - and yeah, there are also a lot of lazy whiners on Steam… but as well, at some point, if there's a lot of issues being reported, you know there's got to be some stuff with the port that wasn't done well or tested enough.

Except I've also seen a bunch of reviews and other articles calling this "a PC port done right", so...

Count the two computers in my household as part of the fortunate ones that can run HZD in ultra settings without any issues, one of them in a 4K monitor, and the other one in ultrawide, both using their native resolutions. I witnessed one single crash in the about 20+ hours my partner and I have racked up since the game's release, at some point when I left the game on pause and minimised for about one hour due to dinner cooking/eating.

I don't think people in Steam complain for the sake of it, but I'm thinking maybe their expectations about how much their rig can handle were a bit optimistic.

I hope they fix these issues either way if they exist, the game is well worth it.

Well ports of console games are always badly optimized. By that I mean the minimum requirements are always to high compared to PC only games. Nothing new.

Basically insane HD requirements, CPU, and high end GPU's are always necessary.

A silly myth. I've played lots of PC ports that were well optimized. It all depends on the developer and the job they did.

Not a myth but *Based on my personal experience with ports.

Still thanks for your unwanted input once again on one of my posts Bro.

It's always welcome. I'm kidding by the way.:smartass:

Except I've also seen a bunch of reviews and other articles calling this "a PC port done right", so…
"Well opinions are like assholes. Everybody's got one and everybody thinks everybody else's stinks." Favorite quote from a movie which is true based on the internet.:)

Anyway back on topic I pre-ordered this game, but will definitely wait for a few more patches before I start playing. Hope the second part gets ported in a few years.

My guess is this : Buy now, run it smoothly in 10 years.
It's the same old story.

Back
Top Bottom