All of a sudden..smallness

D

Deleted User

Hey folks.

So, everything was fine in computer land today, but then I noticed something strange while I was encoding a video. The UI in the video editor was *tiny*. Weird. Then I opened Google Chrome, and all my Bookmarks Bar was tiny as well! Finally, I went to play a game, and Steam was incredibly tiny as well.

I have tried adjusting global scaling settings, but they don't affect the programs. I also disabled scaling on high DPI setups, still didn't work.

I don't know what I did or how I did it, because I didn't change any system settings as far as I can remember. It just started happening out of the blue. Odd.

Anyone have any idea how I can get things back to normal? The fonts are so tiny I can barely read them! Help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Fluent

This might sound rude but after so many years as IT support…
In cases like this when someone says they didn't touch anything but "bad things" started happening outta nowhere, I reinstall their windows. From scratch.

I'm not investigating if something is caused by malware or poking somewhere that was not supposed to be poked.
In short, I have no idea what s UI in video editor nor what is it capable of. It needs to be killed.

It's Windows 7, joxer.

I don't know. I mean, all I've been doing the past day or 2 is installing mods for Oblivion. I haven't gone into any settings or system settings or anything like that, so I really don't know what I could have done.

Looks like a windows standard font has been replaced by something tiny.

Fluent, a dev needs someone to voice-over work, go look at the Wave of Darkness thread.

Also, Ctrl+ is a zoom feature that can increase fonts in several Windows-based apps.

1) you have to find out if a font was replaced and which one it was
2) Look in your Windows\Fonts directory
3) sort by date
4) look at the top of the list

The most important windows fonts are
Arial
Calibri
Times
Tahoma

Fluent, did you try those two things I put in spoiler tags?

crpgnut it's not that issue otherwise I'd suggest him ctrl+0 (default size).

Didn't you mention in another thread that you are playing on 4k now?
So it's probably not that everything is tiny now, but instead that nothing is enlarged anymore.

Can you check this? Righclick on your desktop, click adjust (German: Anpassen, last option), then on the bottom left chose Display (German: Anzeige, should be top of the bottom left three options). You probably have the standard size which is "smaller 100%". Check what happens if you set it to "Bigger 150%"
or is thins what you meant with scaling and you already checked it?

joxer, I tried both options and they didn't work.

Kordanor, I've tried that scaling setting, doesn't work. Nothing seems to affect the size of the programs I'm using. The weird thing is, they were fine in 4k the past few days. Somehow overnight, a goblin was messing with my settings or something and now when I woke up, everything is small. I don't get it. :(

I'd try a driver update of your graphics card (take the option to remove all old settings), and if possible plugin a different and "normal" monitor, and then switch back. Maybe it just readjusts.

There is no goblin.
Next thing to try, since normal windows options didn't help, is to use system restore.
Win7 you say, it's:
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore
Return the system back on some earlier date, pick a few days back.

If it didn't solve the problem go with system file checker following these instructions (it won't be fast if on classic HDD):
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Kordanor's idea about forcing the possibly malfunctioned driver to operate normally by plugging another hardware is also good.

Just goes to show how much my mind has been in the gutter lately. First thing I thought of when I read the thread title was, "Hmm must be cold." :lol:

Anyhow, good luck with your problem Fluent.

Back
Top Bottom