Baldur's Gate 3 - Gameplay and Impressions

rtwp vs tb
any live 2 team sports vs chess ( long silence replaced by streamers making voices )
not very immersive

@joxer;, Turn based might indeed be a better fit for this game, I'm just saying it won't feel like BG to me. I think both NwN2 and PF:KM (and PoE as well) did a fine job of handling a more complex system than BG in RTwP, so I don't really see why they *couldn't*.

That said I'm hard pressed to choose a favourite between the two systems so it's not a problem to me.

However, I do think that it would have been better if they just created a total new game in the D&D universe and not call it Baldur's Gate. WotC is handing out licenses to every developer on the planet (there are 7 games in development right now). Larian could've asked for a license and created something else, and they would receive a lot less flak for it.

Like asking how it happened Mount Rushmore was carved on indian sacred land.

The issue with requesting a separate IP is it leaves BG unscathed. And a potential threat to UgoIgo players as a BG game could have been made in the future without it being UgoIgo. Then escaping the reach of their no player left behind program. The angst of knowing a game could be made while excluding them.

In order to soothe players' insecuritie, ruining, desecrating the BG RTwP temple was necessary. It could not have been achieved when building on a separate IP.
UgoIgo BG had to be built on the razed RTwP BG.

There wont be any temptation to expand BG as a RTwP franchise. UgoIgo players can sleep at night. Mission accomplished.

I watched the Rock Paper Shotgun video from yesterday about BG3 and they said something which really hit home for me. Many of DOS2's combat encounters lasted way too long for me. I am not a fan of 10-second combat encounters in games like this, but 20+ minutes just to battle one non-climactic group is way too long.

registered to reply to the young trolls:

when you buy new cola x you expect it to be a cola brew not a fanta one, does this help you understand the elders? so if it smells , tastes and makes you feel like oranges than it ain't a cola . get it?

I'm 48. How old are you?

One thing I've always missed from CRPGs… smaller spaces. I played D&D back in the early 80s and in my head, a dungeon was often a tight, cramped environment. CRPGs came out and even taverns are these huge, cavernous spaces. I don't know how they could handle this in a video game. But fighting in close quarters is almost always ignored. Yeah, it restricts things. But too many video game fights and exploration happens in these enormous, open spaces.

Just an observation.

Consoles started this trend in most games, to make navigation with a controller easier.

The ruleset is not the same as was in old BG games.

What did you see on presentation? Some magic hand pwning trashmobs and moving objects around, right? Assuming you have a party of 5 where each one is using the magic hand, what sort of RTwP could be better than TB in such case?

Then there's that hitting people with boots thing. What kind of AI game companions should have to go doing crazy stuff when shit hits the fan while you're concentrated on micromanaging one partymember with RTwP? What about trashmobs AI? You sneak and steal hostiles' weapons then enter a fight - what should RT(wP) AI do here? Cast "dispel effects" because there's nothing else it can do? Rush on your previously set traps as Tomi Undergallows easter egg?

If the ruleset edition used was the same as in old BG games, sure, RTwP. But with what was presented, I can't imagine how exactly would it work here.

Baldur's Gate 3 will use D&D 5th Edition ruleset (or some variant form of), which is way different from the ruleset used in BG 1 & 2 (AD&D 2nd Edition).

I personally didn't like the approach they gave to Mage Hand spell. Make no mistake, I am no D&D purist and I'm fully aware some changes to the rules must be made when
"transporting" them from the books to PC gaming, after all they're very different media from each other. Having said that, Mage Hand is a 0-level Cantrip and it shouldn't be able to push an enemy off a cliff (unless, of course, the devs decided to 'up' the spell level in the game in order to make it more powerful than it really is).

I wonder how many people are going to be too hardstuck on the name of the game to actually enjoy it as the awesome turn-based RPG it's going to be.

I believe it's understandable that some people preferred Baldur's Gate 3 to be different, but that was never an option. The only options were having BG3 as it is, or not having it at all. Easy to say which option was best.

Cant say for others, but for me it was atmosphere of both Baldurs Gate games, which made them special, the feeling of adventure and wast magical world all around - people, who made these games knew how to make it. Did Larian can make it too, Im not sure, I dont feel atmosphere of their games, they are more like tb combat simulators with some okish story added to it.
And that's why Im afraid their game will be BG only in its name, but in reality it will be Divinity OS 3 DnD version :-/

20 yers ago, I was more impressed by games, movies and books than now. Maybe I'm jaded after so many games played, but nothing beats the magic of all that good stuff, through the eyes of when I was a teen. :)

I wonder how many people are going to be too hardstuck on the name of the game to actually enjoy it as the awesome turn-based RPG it's going to be.

I believe it's understandable that some people preferred Baldur's Gate 3 to be different, but that was never an option. The only options were having BG3 as it is, or not having it at all. Easy to say which option was best.

It may not turn out to be great. It may not turn out to be as good as BG2. I myself am not a huge fan of Larian's writing, though they got closer in D:OS2 to what I would consider to be good. But the nitpicking starts SO early these days. Games are written off from the first screenshot. Battle lines are drawn: "If it doesn't have/has X, I won't buy it".

It's crazy to me. Are we all so burdened by having too many games to play that we reject potentially great games for such trivial reasons? We were probably better off back in the days when games came out without so much as a single preview or demo. Maybe an article in a magazine, that's about it. People have so much time to build up their expectations, and compare every little thing they hear and see to those expectations.

Looks promising, but it looks very much like Divinity Original Sin. I hope they manage to differentiate it even more from DOS. There's also quite a big jump from Baldur's Gate 1/2 to 3. They're saying it will launch into early access in a short while. So I'm a bit worried that it will probably not suffer major changes graphically, either in art style or rendering techniques.

i have to agree, i does look a lot like DOS2
certainly hope it doesnt look to much the same..

Yep. Fallout 3 was a much bigger departure from Fallout 2, than BG3 will be from BG2. Meanwhile, Fallout 3 won GOTY on this very site, and Fallout 3 wasn't even very good :lol: BG3 will be very good.

So, Micrisoft wanted a couple of big names for whatever it is they're promoting, and we get a renamed Original Sin game, likely with an altered tone and direction.

That's not a bad thing necessarily, but it's not BG. We've got Kingmaker, so I'm good personally. I'll definitely be playing this, though I'd probably prefer they left the name off it. I can easily imagine, however, a shift toward D&D mechanics improving Original Sin.

Sorry, I misspoke. Google. Stadia is their thing, right? When I look at Larian's info for the game, it says it is being specifically developed for Stadia, so I figure they had a hand in it.

I dunno, unless Swen has been lying to us when he tells the story about how BG3 came about, then Google had nothing to do with it. It arose from discussions between Larian and WotC. Larian initiated it, then WotC got back to them a year or two later wanting to go forward with it.

I don't understand the "it looks like DOS so therefore it's not BG" criticism. Did you want iso with hand-drawn maps or something? I understand if you don't like the way Larian writes dialogue, as OS 1 was pretty bad, but I thought they improved quite a bit for the sequel.

The bottom line for me is this:

1) Larian made 2 RPGs I really enjoyed already.

2) It's D&D, which I love. And it's a Baldur's Gate SEQUEL-- arguably the single greatest classic RPG series ever made.

3) It looks a lot like Neverwinter Nights 2, which I actually enjoyed more than BG.

4) I also see the XCOM vibe here, and XCOM is my favorite game series ever.

5) The graphics/character models/animations look brilliant to me.

This game looks pure-win to me.

No, I don't suppose he is. I was guessing some big money was behind Original Sin's new bastard child. Feels a bit like just slapping a name on the game.

Back
Top Bottom