City versus country

Country.
Although as old as Bible my health is top notch thus I don't need to call an ambulance every second day. Because of the job however I cannot move to a village with no stress so I'm in a small town. As you already suspect, no hospital nearby.
Another plus for both county and smalltowns is lack of the horrible stench cities have. My best guess is that the stench is a mix of car fumes and toilets/sewers, never could precisely analyze it though, but it's there.

This is only a rough estimate, but I'd say most cities with a population of 100k or less are fine with me. Larger than that and it gets too crowded, too much traffic, poor air quality.

Too small is not for me either, I like to have somewhat decent public transport. In Germany, that means the population should probably stay above ~10k. Depends a bit on the region, of course.

I like either extreme - give me the bright lights and the big city, or misty mountains and deep forests. It's the bit in the middle - small town suburbia - that I'm not so keen on.

I prefer to live in a suburb where it's half way point to the city and the relaxing country town - which is exactly where we live atm ;)

City all the way for me. St. Louis is big enough to have most of the big city things but still not too ridiculous for traffic. Lots of nature areas surrounding it too so the country is close. So I get professional baseball and can still hike in the bluffs within an hour of each other.

I might be buying this soon :)

CkCpesU.jpg

Looks ideal for creating RPGs in.

I prefer the suburbs. I've always lived like that until recently, now I'm in a town. I hate the limited shopping options!

Another plus for both county and smalltowns is lack of the horrible stench cities have. My best guess is that the stench is a mix of car fumes and toilets/sewers, never could precisely analyze it though, but it's there.

It's mostly diesal fumes, and another reason why diesal is fast going out of fashion. And yes, I really dislike that as well, it even makes your clothes smell.

I spent the last eight years in a city of over a million folks, and I've now had my fill of that to last me a lifetime or five. Now I live in a town of under fifty thousand, and that's as much as a want or need. I'd prefer it be even smaller, but it's such a drastic reduction from my last area that I'm still quite enjoying it.

I've mostly lived in small cities, I've moved back to the small city i grew up in. When i don't have a forest close by to take a walk in i don't feel comfortable. I'm too used to having that. If i moved to really large city i probably wouldn't leave the house, i find them scary - people everywhere, no thanks.

Country,

In a house surrounded by a 12 foot wall with barbed wire, surrounded by a moat with land mines in between the moat and wall. Nearest neighbors 10 miles away through dense forest.

Country,

In a house surrounded by a 12 foot wall with barbed wire, surrounded by a moat with land mines in between the moat and wall. Nearest neighbors 10 miles away through dense forest.

So sakichop is Cleve!

Heh… It took me a second to get what that is. I was thinking "Hm, may be a door? Or some kind of green shutters? What's with the green mold in the lower left corner…"

But yeah, the house looks comfy.

My only concern would be the roof. It costs a bit of coin to replace thatching.

My only concern would be the roof. It costs a bit of coin to replace thatching.

That was always my main concern. However, there's a reasonably solid plan in place :)

First of all, I got them to knock off 20% of the total price because of the roof - and it just so happens that the municipality the house resides in is very keen on preserving a certain kind of look for a certain kind of house. This house is from 1880 - and is made in a style that they're likely to help preserve. I spoke to a guy working in the appropriate department who said there's something like a 99% chance they'll pay 50% of the combined cost to renovate the roof, on the condition that I use the house as a permanent residence.

Very convenient for me ;)

Yeah, that's a nice deal. I got a similar sort of council grant when I renovated a place, which used to be part of an old convent.

Back
Top Bottom