The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Whooooa. New stuff by Dream Theater.

That makes me a very happy panda!

21367-Panda-Celebrates-1st-Birthday_w.jpg

Where did you get that picture of Mike Portnoy?

Disintegration with The Cure. Arguably the best album ever.

Übereil

I will just summarily say 'no' to the best ever thing and suggest we don't even go there for a discussion, as they are pointless in a sea of music with so much greatness ... why argue which is 'best' when we can just say 'dig this, it is great!'

I don't know if Disintegration is even my fave Cure (my wife loves them), but it is pretty cool stuff.

When discussing music (or art) you have to be aware that it's mostly a matter of taste. So discussing it is pointless. So when someone says something like "X is the best song/album/paining/whatever ever!" then the only real conclusion is that that someone thinks X is the best song/album/paining/whatever ever, and that it might be worth checking out.

So when I said Disintegratin is arguably the best album ever then I wasn't expecting pepole to agree. Nor disagree. I was expecting pepole to realize that I really like Disintegration.

Übereil

Well, Robert Smith at least were friend with Siouxie Sioux and Steven Severin. And he'd recorded an album with Siouxie and the Banshees, and had colaborated with Steven Severin on some other project. So yeah, in a way they shared musicians. They certanly had ties to eachother, and Robert Smith has claimed that the time with Siouxie was a major influence on the way he made music.

Übereil

Fat Bob played guitar during a Siouxie tour when a couple of the "Banshees" suddenly quit. He and Severin did a side project together called The Glove.

I just found a fabulous blog that should interest you music fanatics, Aurgasm.
Aurgasm seeks to bring you an eclectic menagerie of aural pleasures. We scout out music you've never heard and deliver only the finest. Expect music curiously different, yet simply enjoyable...
Here are some examples of various songs I liked:

Fredrik - Na Na Ni, swedish folktronica // experimental.
Audie Darling - Little Bird, country-folk // singer-songwriter.
Una Mas Trio - Clear As Water (Mo’Horizons Restyle), urban // equatorial.
Kitty Hoff & Forêt-Noire - Psychenswing, bossa nova // retro swing.
edIT - Artsy Remix (feat. The Grouch), abstract hiphop // blip-hop.
Moonbabies - Take Me To The Ballroom, dream pop // electronic.
Detektivbyrån - E18, french folk fusion // musette waltz.

Actually, I pretty much liked everything I clicked on, so they definitely deliver on their promise. They have some shoegazing posts too, dte. ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm. There's an "Auralgasm" with an internet "radio" stream run by someone on the shoegaze forum I visit. I wonder if it's the same person. If so (s)he has very good taste in music. I'll have to look around.

We dug out a box from when we moved (2.5 years ago) tonight and I was giddy to discover about 50 "long-lost" cds of mine mixed in with a bunch of crap from Mrs dte. Some if it is ridiculously rare, too. I've got a sampler from An April March (#198 of 200) that would make Curious drool (assuming he hasn't tracked down his own copy). Yay me!

I'm writing a pretty emotional piece for a character in a Tabletop campaign and I'm scouting around for random songs that fits the mood. I'm currently listening to Let's Make Love And Listen To Death From Above with Cansei De Ser Sexy. For some reason I can't seem to write for the moment. :(

Übereil

Supertramp. Child of Vision. Great band. Great song. :)
They have the complexity in their songs, maybe not close to Pink Floyd, and the lighthearted rhythm and sound. Pink Floyd are mostly the opposite in that department

Pink Floyd takes first place for me. Supertramp could easily take second place. But there still is a big difference in class between the two.

I just recently dusted off some old favorites:

"Clan of Xymox" by Clan of Xymox.
Great stuff. Anyone else familiar with them?

Peter Gabriel - "Security"
Some songs on there never sound dated.

"Clan of Xymox" by Clan of Xymox.
Great stuff. Anyone else familiar with them?

Yeah, they're first two albums are pretty good and most of what I've heard of the rest is decent. I prefer Medusa to Clan of Xymox, by the way.

Übereil

To sorta address some previous posts, Disintegration¨s my favourite Cure, first two Clan of Xymox albums are the best and that Aurgasm blog is pretty cool, though the author seems to be doing a rather fine job at selecting the best tracks from given albums which may be somewhat misleading, well, certainly in the case of Fredrik :).

Black Devil - Disco Club (1978)

This electro was made in 1978? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?!
Way too cool release, for its time.

H Friend

The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls with Sand (2007)

Shoegaze drone doom, ha.
Alternating between crushing and ethereal, fuzzy as ffffuck production, Neurosis meets My Bloody Valentine, etc.
Powerful record.

Burning in the Undertow of God

We All Die Laughing

Last edited:
Since there were a handful of folks that liked Scarlet Youth, thought I'd share this bit of info I got from them. Mostly, the opportunity to get demos is what I'm looking to spread.
Hi!

Just though to let you know that we've put up a mailinglist for Scarlet
Youth to reach all the interested people instantly with news on upcoming
debut album etc. The ones joining the mailinglist will get demo versions
of new songs, album previews and other goodies, whatever we might come
up with. The Street team tick box is kinda useless, so don't worry about
that.
You'll find the mailinglist-widget from our profile.

We've about 14 songs written for debut album, + still few in process, so
things are looking good ;-)

In case you haven't got our EP yet, it is available in USA, Japan,
France, Germany + in iTunes if you fancy a digital version these days.
Check from our site the straight links to shops in your country
(http://www.scarletyouth.com/links.php).
We sell it also by ourselves in a decent price
(http://www.scarletyouth.com/shop.php
We have also very cool shirts, normal & girlies!

Our profile has also a new outfit! :)

Summer's almost here so hope you have a good one!
All the best,

Kalle/SY

@DeepO- that's some seriously dense stuff. Didn't really do it for me, but certainly worth the listen.

@DeepO: Very interesting stuff, very interesting.

I'm definitely going to buy the album.

Another of the discs in that lost box was my Bedazzled Singles Club release from Siddal (#234 of 300). What a fabulous ep, but criminally short at a mere 4 tracks. I can't for the life of me find any samples for this one. My sincere apologies, cuz it's very much worth sharing.

Siddal- "The Old Songs from This Old Town" ep

Back
Top Bottom