Bloom - Demo Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
With the demo for Bloom being released a short while ago, it is time to look back to how it went and it certainly did not exceed the developers' expectations.

Hey everyone, now that the demo has been out there a bit....I figured it was a good time for a progress report on where everything stands.

Note: About a week after we put out the demo, we did an update fixing some problems and adding a map while taking out some mechanics like hunger.

Anyhow, the total analytics for the demo were a bit depressing -

• 210 downloads
For some reason we didn't have much luck getting media attention on the demo, so the amount we could reach was pretty limited (I suspect most of the downloads were by press).

Obviously this also means the crowd fund attempt with Patreon didn't do so well either.

The biggest question I have from the poor performance is what it indicates. Obviously the demo is still pretty rough (and the entire getting lost in the forest isn't the same structure as the core game, as well as the main character and abilities)....but it still might be an indication that the project itself is under-performing in terms of design and execution.

If I just failed at getting the word out, it is still a problem...but less of one. Since trying to get attention for a demo during this point in the year is difficult (especially one so rough still).

Or it could simply be that trying to release off of steam was what killed it (itch.io isn't as popular, by far...and perhaps media didn't give it much attention being hosted on a site like that?).

Since it all bombed anyhow, I might go ahead and put it up on steam at some point just to see if there is more traction there.....but from what I hear from other devs, the organic reach on steam isn't really there anymore anyway....so, who knows.
There is also an update on where they want to go from here, which mainly is about the lack of money and how to fund the development next year.

Well, obviously we is outta moneys and gotta solve that problem to finish off the next year of development (since there is quite a bit of work to do, and if I tried to part-time it....who knows what would happen).

Luckily there are a few options out there (sadly, bank loans aren't one, even as a personal loan, or I would have done that haha. Unless there is some super rich person out there following this? -wink wink wink wink-).

First up is I've gotten in touch with Nintendo and Microsoft to get the ball rolling on platform approvals (and, if we are lucky, perhaps work out some type of advance on sales for timed exclusivity with one of them....though it is a long shot). The platform we will be supporting on release in addition to mac/ pc/ linux largely depends what happens with all of that.

Should be hearing back from them in a week or two.

After that, there is the option of a publisher....and after the poor performance releasing the demo and trying to get media attention that option is seeming more palatable (since obviously I'm doing something wrong in terms of getting the message out...and I probably don't have the best temperament for that as well).
In the meantime development is still ongoing.

More information.

Well... I suspect when people contributed to the Kickstarter, they were more or less expecting a complete game. A demo seems underwhelming, so it's not that big of a surprise, is it? Plus it took just about forever just to reach this point, so people had more or less given up. *shrug*

Still a better love story than Twilight.
And still a better kickstarter than Shroud of the Avatar.

Hmmm, looks like they aren't gonna finish. That is too bad.

They had a fantastic visual concept, I wish they would have just stuck with that and put out the game that they were capable of putting out. Anything they want to upgrade they put it in the sequel. If they would have followed through like that they would now be showing The Console boys what they have DONE, not what they might be able to do.

They had a fantastic visual concept,…

Indeed.

Judging by mere 200 downloads they seem to have handled PR poorly though.

This looks as bad as an Ellis Studios production. Hmm. *Inspects it closer.*

Lots of typos in the game itself + terrible grammar and typos in the developer updates themselves. Check.
The game itself looks like their other "RPGs", except with real-time "gameplay." Same type of dialog screens with character portraits that pop up, similar type of engine. Check.
The "demo" video shows barely anything at all. Nothing resembling a real game being there. Check.
Game itself looks barely cooked, messy, no real direction. Check.
Being hosted and updated on itch.io. Check.

From their Kickstarter "About" page:

Studio Fawn
Los Angeles, CA
We are a tiny indie team with a deep love for games. We grew up playing them, and now we want to give something back.

Our mission is to create a great game players everywhere will enjoy :)

Off the top of my head that is very, very similar to the short description that the various incarnations of Ellis Studios used in their Kickstarter About sections. I.e., "deep love for games we grew up playing" and "want everyone to enjoy them" lines.

"Studio Fawn". The Ellis Studios chick used to go by the name of Dawn, didn't she? Dawn, Fawn. What is a Studio Fawn anyway? Lol.

Yep, it's Ellis Studios! :lol:

Note - I am only partially joking here. Who knows, it might actually be them again. Where's @Ripper;? :lol:

I really doubt that they have anything to do with Studio Ellis.

Back
Top Bottom