Kingdom Come - Drunk Quicksaves and More

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Joxer found some more interesting info about Kingdome Come: Deliverance on VG 247:

Kingdom Come Deliverance: a medieval RPG about realism, drunk quicksaves and the right type of chicken

The mean streets of 1403 are serious business.

Between The Elder Scrolls, The Witcher and Dragon Age it’s been a good decade or so for sword-and-sorcery RPGs. Many other games in this sort of vein have been spawned, but none are quite like Warhorse Studios’ Kingdom Come: Deliverance – a new medieval RPG that values realism over almost all else with the lofty aim of creating a real-world accurate recreation of life in 1403.
[...]
So involved are the community that one major feature of Kingdom Come: Deliverance was actually directly inspired by them – the quick-save feature. Unable to decide if quick save should be in the game at all or not, some fans suggested that for a game developed in the Czech Republic it’d feel particularly appropriate if saving the game happened in a pub. Suddenly, booze was the answer – because of course it was.

“We came up with a liquor where every time that you quick save you have to drink that liquor. It’s an item in your pocket and if you want to save you need to have this item. If you overdo the quicksaving, you get drunk and you get sick. We don’t want you abusing the quicksave button in front of every chest or whenever you have to pick a lock or something.”

And thus, in a strangely poetic twist, a highly realistic video game has booze as a method of saving progress when for most of us – let’s be honest – it’s more likely to delete it. Regular saves and auto saves are still included, though the quick save option is tied to alcohol – which has a whole sub-system of its own.
[...]
More information.

So now we can wine and cheese a difficult spot instead of just cheesing it?

Dunno about cheese, but I love the quicksave idea.
Spam quicksave = get drunk with lowered stats. Hell, why noone else made this system? Don't tell me, everyone else uses checkpoints because no HDD to hold savegames...

You put in shitty RNG crap loot instead of handplaced? I'll cheese save it.

If I recall this is a no magic game, so I won't have to get drunk.

This project looked like a big experiment from the very beginning. The drunk autosave is just another piece.

I'm very much looking forward to participating in this experiment by playing the game.

The game will bring some innovations for sure. Some will prevail and some will be thrown away.

This project looked like a big experiment from the very beginning. The drunk autosave is just another piece.

I'm very much looking forward to participating in this experiment by playing the game.

Make sure you pay no attention to the dialogue! It's horrid.

Last edited:
Yep, heard about that. But I'm a backer and will try it nevertheless.
Perhaps the German localization is better?

Yep, heard about that. But I'm a backer and will try it nevertheless.
Perhaps the German localization is better?

That's possible, I've only played the English version. But it was really the writing that was the issue. It didn't strike me as a translation thing, but who knows.

We'll see. After a quick search I think there won't be a German localization at realease anyways.

Maybe it was some kind of placeholder quest dialogue - but I don't think so. You rarely do placeholder voice-overs because of the price involved.

I'm usually not that hard on dialogue - I mean, I tend to enjoy PB games in that way - but this was really, really terrible.

Probably, it was the combination of a "realistic" setting with a very convincing environment in a visual sense - and utter amateur-hour 12-year old writing.

If it had been just another high fantasy RPG - I might not even have noticed.

One thing that did occur to me is what will they do in those regions where drinking is illegal ? I wonder if those states also ban virtual drinking. Probably…. something about social corruption. Maybe there will be a verison with apple juice instead of booze ?

Sounds a bit stupid and annoying to me.

^ This!

If it's not a multiplayer game, let people play how they want. I don't 'spam save' generally, but sometimes I want to shut my PC down and I have to continue playing because there's no save point or some such crap. Screw that. I hate being told when I can save. I also have concerns around game corruption, which tends to mean I save more than I have to.

Last edited:
Not autosave.
Only quicksave.

^ This!

If it's not a multiplayer game, let people play how they want. I don't 'spam save' generally, but sometimes I want to shut my PC down and I have to continue playing because there's no save point or some such crap. Screw that. I hate being told when I can save. I also have concerns around game corruption, which tends to mean I save more than I have to.
You don't get drunk on every quicksave. You get drunk if you spam F5 like crazy.

Did anyone read that article at all?

I'm in favor of features like that. Still debating if the more hardcore ones should be optional, but I guess it depends on what the developer is going for. More hardcore options generally mean less sales (players get too frustrated, negative reviews ensue, etc.), so optional modes and features could possibly mitigate some of that. When I play something like ELEX I wish it had more hardcore options or consequences in some areas.

Thing is, I think they are making a PB-style game now. It will be interesting to see the end result. It might get wrecked in reviews.

Not autosave.
Only quicksave.

You don't get drunk on every quicksave. You get drunk if you spam F5 like crazy.

Did anyone read that article at all?

Sure, but I don't think they should enforce any save constraint - have a 'hard core'/'ironman' mode if you want to dictate how people play. It's not their job to be a nanny to players. It is also a a rather silly idea - what possible reason would there be to get drunk? It's completely contrived - not like some games where you have some game element like 'memory capacity' or something that may sound vaguely plausible.

I don't have good experience with designers trying to play daddy who go about restricting player behavior.

Much like PoE and their "campfire" restriction, this smells like an utterly pointless attempt at balancing in a way that the game neither needs nor benefits from.

That said, maybe I'm wrong - and it's really great not being able to quicksave when I want - or getting punished for doing it.

If your game is better when players can't save progress when they want - then DO NOT IMPLEMENT THAT FEATURE.

Translation: Understand game design and don't do things halfway.

Over the years i created and administered several (diku) muds. There was a common form of disagreement between management members of the management team. The issue was how to deal with new clever ways to do a n area. There some on the management team who would scream cheat and 'punish' players for being 'clever'. My approach was that if a player did something that I thought was too 'cheesey' was not to say something to the player or penalize the player but rather to adjust the code or zone to address the issue.
-
Now the analogy isn't quite the same since muds were multi-player and there was some concern about item bloat and global economy. When it comes to single player game i tend to lean on the side of let the players play how they like to play but then again this feature doesn't seem like a huge head-ach after all in the worse case i can spend all day reloading to avoid the drunk effect. Having said that it sounds silly that I hsould have to spend all day being cheesy and reloading to deal with a feature that was added to prevent me from being cheesy which begs the question why try to stop me from being cheesy if I'm just going to be cheesy to get around your anti-cheesy solution. Either way I think i can live with it as long as I can be cheesy when I feel like being cheesy.
-
maybe I should just go back and play muds.

Back
Top Bottom