Shadowrun Returns - Update #10, $1.5M Passed

Anyone play the genesis one? I didn't have a Genesis or would had played that one too. Was it any good?

Yeah but for different reasons. The gensis one has a more open world and is far less censored (Nintendo of America's censors were famous for their hatchet jobs.) Some people also like the Genesis combat better than the SNES one and find it more true to rules. Opinions on the perspective, conversation systems, and quality of the story vary but I'd say they're both worth giving a shot and personal preferences will play a strong role in determining whether you like either (they are quite old too) at all or more than the other.

There's one simple reason why I haven't backed this project, and it's in the very first sentence of their original pitch:

"Jordan Weisman, the creator of Shadowrun, is back and Shadowrun Returns (for Apple & Android tablets and PCs) is the game that Shadowrun fans have been waiting for a long time."

(Bolded text was NOT added by me, it's part of the original text).

I'm very likely making too much of a little thing here, but I just can't get past the fact that tablets are listed first before PCs as a platform. When I combine this with the fact that they only wanted $500k to make a brand new game from scratch, I have to wonder about what the overall depth and quality of this game is really going to be like.

I genuinely hope my doubts are unfounded, but I'm sitting this one out and will wait to buy it as a customer once I see what the visual quality and gameplay is like.

I'm very likely making too much of a little thing here, but I just can't get past the fact that tablets are listed first before PCs as a platform. When I combine this with the fact that they only wanted $500k to make a brand new game from scratch, I have to wonder about what the overall depth and quality of this game is really going to be like.

I genuinely hope my doubts are unfounded, but I'm sitting this one out and will wait to buy it as a customer once I see what the visual quality and gameplay is like.

The doubts are founded. They tripled their budget.

I am more concerned about the very short development time myself. They still seem to be on the design phase and that was my understanding from the beginning anyway.

They do have a game released under the development platform they are using (moai) but still designing and implementing a proper complex RPG(*) in that short a time... Hmm..
(* as opposed to say a simple dungeon crawler)

That said we just took a gamble here and it will be great if it pans out. I can live with the loss of the 30$ :)

To be honest, I have my doubts with any of these KS projects whether they can keep to their announced deadlines. Designers can't keep deadlines when they have publishers breathing down their necks and waving at them with the pink slip - so I see no chance they can do it without, and on such tight deadlines to boot. But how could I not back a shadowrun CRPG? I'll just hope for the best.

Yes, I agree with the last two posters.
It seems a rather short period of development.
Honestly, I don't have a problem if they want to postpone, in order to make a better product. But I know, that not all people think like me.

Back
Top Bottom