Lands of Adventure: An Old-School Style CRPG

That is correct. The last few months have really been a learning experience for me when it comes to Unity, so I made a lot of progress and finally decided how I wanted to approach the game.

Since that update on my blog, though, I have updated some of the graphics (because it was easy to do) and I went ahead and made the decision to add some additional classes from the original version of the game (so instead of four starting classes, there will be seven...which is a step down from the twelve I wanted to do, but should offer enough for a player to choose from).

Thanks for reading the blog, though. I don't feel I get nearly as much traffic as I'd like there.

That is correct. The last few months have really been a learning experience for me when it comes to Unity, so I made a lot of progress and finally decided how I wanted to approach the game.

Since that update on my blog, though, I have updated some of the graphics (because it was easy to do) and I went ahead and made the decision to add some additional classes from the original version of the game (so instead of four starting classes, there will be seven…which is a step down from the twelve I wanted to do, but should offer enough for a player to choose from).

Thanks for reading the blog, though. I don't feel I get nearly as much traffic as I'd like there.

7 sounds good. Adds some variety over the standard mage/priest/rogue/warrior and 12 would be just be very time consuming to balance, I guess. I liked the new screens you came up with in your previous few posts, so hope the rethink doesn't affect those developments.

7 sounds good. Adds some variety over the standard mage/priest/rogue/warrior and 12 would be just be very time consuming to balance, I guess. I liked the new screens you came up with in your previous few posts, so hope the rethink doesn't affect those developments.

The finished product may not look like those screens, but the techniques behind them will certainly be present.

It's been a while since I posted here. The game is still under development. Here are some screenshots showing character screens and inventories (all screens are a work in progress).

Attachments

• charsheet2.jpg
    charsheet2.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Inventory.jpg
    Inventory.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 126
They will be. There was something wrong in that version I went back too, and I didn't discover it until after I made that blog post. Something in Unity, not in the code. I think an asset pack is causing an issue, but I don't know which one or if I can remove it.

So, I went back to the other version.

However, I'm okay with that. I'm further along in that version anyway. And adding the classes won't be that big of a deal. I'm still up in the air about whether or not I will include the skill system or the perks, but the classes will definitely be included.

Lots of things to work out, for sure. But, it's coming along fine.

To verify what I said yesterday, here is a work in progress screen of the character class selection screen. As you can see…all 12 classes are there, as promised…

Attachments

• class-screen.jpg
    class-screen.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 109
3 classes per character slot is pretty sweet IMO. It's even better than my personal ideal ratio of 2 per slot. This takes me back to Arena, or the older Might&Magic's :)

A few more screenshots from the work-in-progress. This shows the skill/perk information screen of the character sheet and what the game looks like in exploration mode. Enjoy:

Attachments

• SkillScreen.jpg
    SkillScreen.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 85
  • MainScreen.jpg
    MainScreen.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 85
So, here's a few questions for everyone out there:

1) What do you feel is most important in a CRPG to help draw you in? The look and feel of the graphics or the narrative style and gameplay?

2) What options do you prefer in tactical combat?

3) If a game like this was successful and you enjoyed it, how likely would be you be to invest in a Kickstarter for a sequel or follow-up to the game?

1) What do you feel is most important in a CRPG to help draw you in? The look and feel of the graphics or the narrative style and gameplay?

3) If a game like this was successful and you enjoyed it, how likely would be you be to invest in a Kickstarter for a sequel or follow-up to the game?

1) Perhaps some intriguing plot developments at the beginning that draw you into the world and plot as in say crusaders and many other good games. From a graphics POV, helps if they are clean and atmospheric, but I don't expect CRY engine or whatever. Am very put off by poorly implemented and/or cumbersome UIs and controls and by restricted view angles as in many recent games (eg Legends of Dawn).

2) Could write a WOT about this, but would be good if different party members have genuinely different options.

3) Certainly, I do sometimes wonder though whether it's feasible for small indie devs to release decent RPGs that aren't very linear. Recent results in that respect haven't been very promising or timely.

1. The story.
2. Proper AI and no "cheating" by buffing mobs with tons of HP, resistances and rediculously high DPS.
3. If a crpg is not a phonegame port, who cares if it's sequel or not, I'll pledge on KS.

1.Either story or gameplay, I am fine if game gets one right but if game is lacking much in one department it has to make up for it in other.Also I prefer for game to be outstanding in one than just ok in both.

2.There is too much to say about this topic to answer it properly in short, but one thing I really like is complex stat system and itemization.I love to plan and experiment with builds.

3.I would say very likely.

1) Character creation and progression, hands down. You seem to be on the right track there considering the different classes as well as traits or perks. It's always good to have a nice selection of these offering bonuses that are not necessarily an obvious choice, from greater carrying capacity to saving throw bonuses against disease or the ability to skin monsters for hides. Anything that adds to the idea that the character you created is both unique and adapted to the world he lives in.

2) That actually made me think hard. Turn based is great for the planning it provides but also simply for the time you can spend on every single decision. Therefore, I like it if I can take more than one action per character per round. This is very rarely done in party based games though. At least, it would be nice to have something like, in D&D terms, one full-round action (like attacking or casting a spell) and one standard action (like using an item or assuming a defensive stance) per round.

3) My good man, I'm willing to throw my money at you even if you take this baby to Kickstarter right away. ;)

Yup, for me the story trumps all as well. It's turn based, so I'll buy it on release or support a KS if you go that way. Please let us throw money at you.

Good answers all around and it gives me a lot to think about. Just for kicks, here are some screenshots of the starting town that I started working on earlier tonight. It's a work in progress…

Attachments

• LOA1.jpg
    LOA1.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 33
  • LOA2.jpg
    LOA2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 28
  • LOA3.jpg
    LOA3.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 23
Back
Top Bottom