The olympics

I hope they will go to court for this. I don't think there is any rule saying you have to play to win. I can be unpleasant for the spectators, but disqualification is not a right call in this case. Participation is more important then winning, isn't that something 'olympic'?

Tell that to the competitors who would throw a match in order to boost their chances of winning.

No, the olympic spirit does not allow for throwing of matches. Saving of energy is one thing, misapplying your skill for unsporting reasons is another.

It is clearly in the rules that you "use one's best efforts to win a match" - if you don't agree to the rules then you shouldn't be playing in the tournament.

Tell that to the competitors who would throw a match in order to boost their chances of winning.

No, the olympic spirit does not allow for throwing of matches. Saving of energy is one thing, misapplying your skill for unsporting reasons is another.

It is clearly in the rules that you "use one's best efforts to win a match" - if you don't agree to the rules then you shouldn't be playing in the tournament.

From which set of rules the quote comes from?

The olympic charter, neither the olympic spirit relate to that. Is it from Badminton rules?

From which set of rules the quote comes from?

The olympic charter, neither the olympic spirit relate to that. Is it from Badminton rules?

Yes. Badminton World Federation. Players code of conduct (appendix 4), rule 4.5.

This badminton case got even worse because the press here says that as soon as the regulations were changed to what is now, several trainers (?) spoke up and warned about possible exploits of this new system.

And, (like in computer security, or with environmental issues,) no-one believed them.

AFAIK they changed the olympic tournament from only knockout stage to group stage followed by a knockout stage. Which is how tournaments in football, volleyball, team handball, actually most other similar sports I can think of are played. Seems like a reasonable change to me.

pibbur who may be wrong, of course

I hope they will go to court for this. I don't think there is any rule saying you have to play to win. I can be unpleasant for the spectators, but disqualification is not a right call in this case. Participation is more important then winning, isn't that something 'olympic'?

Are you serious?

Do you fully understand what they were doing?

Still can't believe how you can lose with 9/1000 of a second in triathlon after swimming 1500 meters, biking 40 km's and running 10 km's.

While if you swim 50 meters and lose with 9/1000 of a second you share the gold.

The only right thing would've been to share the gold IMHO. I'd say the same even if it wasn't the swede that lost the gold.

Still can't believe how you can lose with 9/1000 of a second in triathlon after swimming 1500 meters, biking 40 km's and running 10 km's.

While if you swim 50 meters and lose with 9/1000 of a second you share the gold.

The only right thing would've been to share the gold IMHO. I'd say the same even if it wasn't the swede that lost the gold.

+1 I agree

The US-Canada womens soccer match was nothing short of spectacular. One of those games where it truly sucks that someone has to lose. I thought the penalty kick awarded to the US was iffy, but an instant classic nonetheless. Thursdays rematch against Japan should be a tremendous matchup. I am still in awe of the table tennis players. How they can hit or return some of these shots is incredible. Although the Chinese, especially the coach, are a bunch of loudmouths. I certainly understand celebrating a win, but screaming after every single point, especially in the first game, is a bit much.

France - Japan was also an amazing match if women soccer keeps evolving in that direction, it's soon going to gain a lot more spectators!

Top medal winners after the first 12 days…

Gold Medals
China 34
USA 32
Great Britain 22
South Korea 12
Russia 11

Total Medals
USA 81
China 77
Russia 52
Great Britain 48
Germany 32
Japan 31

Odd... I thought China will get at least half of all medals... Guess quantity and quality are not the same thing...

Anyone else thinking that USA got undeserved big scores at women gymnastics?

I didn't watch them, but gymnastic is now more about difficulty than execution. As long as you land on your feet. So the USA might have higher degree of difficulty and did well enough in execution. In other word, a presentation could seem amazing to you, but the difficulty is so low that it's not worth much on the scoring board.

Although, considering the number of "controversy" so far in these games (boxes, badminton, fencing, football, swimming, etc), it wouldn't surprise me if there was a bit of a "behind closed door deal" here as well.

I agree too, and I am german!
Speaking of which, Germany isn't doing so great these Olympics, but boy, we have good paddlers! :)
My hat is off to the British though, they are sure raking it in this time!

Good job Canada on winning a hard fought football match!!

-Carn

Yeah!

We haven't won a team sport medal since 1936 at the Summer Olympics (excluding equestrian and rowing).

Speaking of which, Germany isn't doing so great these Olympics, but boy, we have good paddlers! :)
My hat is off to the British though, they are sure raking it in this time!

Germany, Britain, and Japan have all done quite well in relation to the size and population of those countries.

Anyone else thinking that USA got undeserved big scores at women gymnastics?

I refuse to watch any "sport" where there is voting on scoring to determine the winner. Too much chance of corruption and/or bias entering into a judges decision. The Park Si-Hun/Roy Jones Jr. fight is a perfect example. Jones demolished and pummeled him for 3 rounds. But the South Korean won the match. The Olympics were in Seoul that year. What a coincidence. Not to even mention the numerous questions about the ages of Chinese gymnasts. I could list more. It's all disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom