Coronavirus (No Politics)

re: flu jab - The NHS states that you might feel some discomfort for a day or so and their remedy is take a pain killer (paracetamol). It's very rare for anyone to have a serious allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to the flu vaccine. If this does happen, it usually happens within minutes.

The only other data is ad-hoc. I had the jab last October, for the 1st time, can't remember any problems. The sore arm thing is more likely the older you are - probably (my thoughts) cause your body takes longer to repair the damage.

The allergy thing seems to be related to eggs - most flu vaccines use eggs in their production though non-egg vaccines are also available.

Regarding Ripper's point - to be on the safe side I will make sure that I don't plan anything for the day of my second shot or the following day. Same for my wife.

My partner and I got ours on the weekend just in case we felt bad the next day. No effects at all from the first shot get the second one on the 17th.:)

I've had both and no effects except a mildly sore arm. Pfizer. Got it at work.

Do people normally react to flu vaccines? I never got any "sicknessy" reaction, at least as far as I can remember. Just a tiny bit of soreness in the arm (and once in the butt… :D ).

Yeah, mild flu-like symptoms are not unusual - slight fever, achy feeling, and tired. At the end of the day, we're provoking the immune system to respond to a pathogen, and the immune response can make us feel not so great. As I say, anecdotally it seems to be more common with the Covid vaccines, but it can happen with any shots.

My response to my second Moderna shot was definitely a lot worse than a flu shot. I was pretty miserable, felt like I had a bad flu combined with severe nausea. Only lasted a day though and then I was tired for another day. In retrospect ibuprofen may have temporarily but significantly reduced my symptoms when I took it and I might have been better if I had taken it earlier. But I was so nauseous I didnt feel like taking pills.

The vast majority of people though had symptoms much less strong than mine.

Honestly, I'll take any vaccine they give me. As I'm relatively young it's still a while til I do get one, heard maybe around August I have a chance.

I don't mind a lot if the efficacy is 60 or 99%, the final fact is that all vaccines that are being given out have 100% efficacy against any severe or life-threatening effects, and that's all I care about. I can live with being sick for a few days having to take some Paracetamol to cope with it.

Seems I finally qualify for my shot since the state opened up to all ages now. To bad it'll be the two dose Pfizer vaccine as I hoping for the one shot J&J one. Wish me luck.

Got my mother an appointment also but she has a weak immune system.

Got my mother an appointment also but she has a weak immune system.

I'd make sure the vaccinator knows about your mum's medical status. Vaccinations are sometimes not recommended if people have compromised immune systems.

Momma and my aunt go for their 2nd shots (moderna) on the 8th. I'll be really happy when that's done. It hasn't opened up to my age range yet (35) but I'll take whatever I can get. Thank God for these vaccines that can save lives.

Bad news though, my sister, who last night was at my house, masked, mind u, and brought me a bag of tobacco, today is very sick. Well, she has covid. So far momma and I feel fine, so God willing, whatever happens happens, I trust God to see us all through. Praying heavily on it.

All in all, still in good spirits, though. God is good, life is good. Never forget that. Peace beloveds. <3

Momma and my aunt go for their 2nd shots (moderna) on the 8th. I'll be really happy when that's done. It hasn't opened up to my age range yet (35) but I'll take whatever I can get. Thank God for these vaccines that can save lives.

Bad news though, my sister, who last night was at my house, masked, mind u, and brought me a bag of tobacco, today is very sick. Well, she has covid. So far momma and I feel fine, so God willing, whatever happens happens, I trust God to see us all through. Praying heavily on it.

All in all, still in good spirits, though. God is good, life is good. Never forget that. Peace beloveds. <3

I hope your sister gets through it without any severe complications! If she is around your age the chances are good she will. Hopefully you and your mother didn't get it as well.

I hope your sister gets through it without any severe complications! If she is around your age the chances are good she will. Hopefully you and your mother didn't get it as well.

Thanks brother. Sis is a little bit older (47) but she's a fighter. Momma had her first shot and apparently that can protect u a bit if ur exposed - my uncle had his first shot and his wife caught covid. She quarantined with him in the same house and he never got it. So, here's hoping that is the case.

Thanks for the concern, though. Appreciate u. To everyone else, keep your heads up during this dangerous and rough time. We'll get thru it, together. Peace and love. <3

Thanks brother. Sis is a little bit older (47) but she's a fighter. Momma had her first shot and apparently that can protect u a bit if ur exposed - my uncle had his first shot and his wife caught covid. She quarantined with him in the same house and he never got it. So, here's hoping that is the case.

Thanks for the concern, though. Appreciate u. To everyone else, keep your heads up during this dangerous and rough time. We'll get thru it, together. Peace and love. <3
Well 47 is no age, mate :)

My sister in law is around 45, and had it a few weeks ago. Went fine. Two colleagues got it two weeks ago. One is around 45 and one 65. Both are back at work now and, although a little bit tired still, feeling pretty well.

And yes, the vaccines are supposed to protect well even after the first shot.

Seem to recall reading the vaccines will protect you up to six months only. So it looks like we might need to get two of them every year from now on. Best wishes Fluent.

Well 47 is no age, mate :)

My sister in law is around 45, and had it a few weeks ago. Went fine. Two colleagues got it two weeks ago. One is around 45 and one 65. Both are back at work now and, although a little bit tired still, feeling pretty well.

And yes, the vaccines are supposed to protect well even after the first shot.

Good to hear. Glad your people are safe. God bless.

Seem to recall reading the vaccines will protect you up to six months only. So it looks like we might need to get two of them every year from now on. Best wishes Fluent.

Interesting info, thanks Couch. God bless.

Seem to recall reading this week the vaccines will protect you up to six months. So it looks like we might need to get two of them every year from now on. Best wishes Fluent.
I doubt it. The virus will circulate in the population and a lot of us will be immune temporarily like other diseases, so it won't spread very quickly again. And our immune systems will meet it now and then and the immunity be somewhat renewed.

Edit: your link says at least 6 months, so we'll have to wait and see :)

Of course it is often good to take the seasonal vaccines if offered the choice, and this one might be extra important if one is older or very overweight. I usually try to get the normal flu shots for the benefit of my father. He is stubborn and often doesn't care to get the shots, thinking pure willpower will save him. :D At least I can try not to bring it to his house.

The new variants of Co-vid 19 every few months don't help either. It's a damn super-bug.
Nah, this is normal for certain viruses. The media just doesn't report it, because other viruses which mutate quickly aren't very interesting (influenza).

It can however mean our vaccines become less and less effective the longer it takes to get them out:
https://www.cuimc.columbia.edu/news...s-evolving-escape-current-vaccines-treatments

What they don't mention is that having had similar viruses before usually makes future infections less dangerous, even if they mutate a bit. That was one of the things which made this one so bad: this was a virus which humans hadn't had before.

Mutations are also random, so some strains might mutate to become less dangerous. If we are lucky, they become dominant.

Super-bug my ass.

fa1151cde2dd7702a5a93f0ea71afa45.jpg

Lol. Yeah, superbugs are more to do with microbes that become resistant to the drugs we use to treat them. I don't think there's a problem at the moment with Covid becoming resistant to the antiviral treatments they're trying. The main problem is a novel virus, to which we have no immunity, that is having an epic global party. While it's allowed to have its fun at that scale, variants are inevitable, and the longer it goes on, the more chance of one that will bite us in the arse.

Back
Top Bottom