Witcher 3 - Play as Triss, Yennefer, or Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aubrielle

Noveliste
The Witcher 3 is perfectly fun with Geralt, but now a mod has emerged to let you play as Triss, Yennefer, Shani, or Ciri, and add companions, like Ves. The only problem is that you still talk in Geralt's voice, which is a little strange.

More information.

More information.

That's a different mod than we were discussing, right? I'm too afraid to believe that my dream came true, so I will not, until you tell me! Wait, Elel, wait… hold your feelings down… prepare for your dreams to be crushed again in disappointment… ;)

So you can actually play as someone else and it won't break the quests? Like, you can play throughout the whole game, uninterruptedly?

So you can actually play as someone else and it won't break the quests? Like, you can play throughout the whole game, uninterruptedly?
You can play as Triss, Yennefer, or others but you're still playing Geralt's role. To actually play the new role the mod needs new voice dialogue, text, and animations.
It's not a perfect transition, or even complete: The mod doesn't work with the Nilfgaardian, Temerian, or Skelligian DLC armor sets, and it uses Geralt's animations in combat. More distractingly, your character will also continue to speak in Geralt's voice despite the change in appearance, which might pull you out of the moment a bit.
A talented modder might take a few years to possibly record audio, do new animations & change the text, but at this point the mod is not a complete overhaul.:(

It's true, Elel! Believe it or not! Our wishes have been realized. xD

Yes, this is a different mod than I mentioned. I'd originally told you about the dev console, which just gives you access to a lot of the Witcher 3's code and lets you do things like change Geralt to Ciri (with no access to inventory or spells), change the weather, give you items, etc. This mod changes the Geralt model to Triss, Yennefer, or Ciri, and lets you have characters from the game as companions (like Ves! Ves!!). I can't give you a straight answer to your last question, except that I wouldn't see any reason you couldn't go through the entire game. I don't know if it would break the game, but I don't think so, considering that it's just the player model that's changed. :)

A talented modder might take a few years to possibly record audio, do new animations & change the text, but at this point the mod is not a complete overhaul.:thinking:
This was never done for W1&2, despite similar mods being made for those game, so I'm not waiting for that being done for W3. And honestly, I don't really care for voice and animations. Just an opportunity to play as someone else is good enough for me.

Funny thing is that it's again only female models. Something tells me that all three mods for three respective games came from people who wanted a female playable character. Although wait, I'm mistaken. The W2 mod was similar, it allowed for Saskia and Ves if I'm not mistaken. But the W1 mod allowed to switch to any NPC model in the game. Yes, that's right. It wasn't ideal, too, I remember dropping it soon, as it kept switching back to Geralt's model.

We also had a companion mod for W1 for sure, although it was merely a wolf. Maybe some others were made, I didn't check. But the fact that these mods are made shows that people want to create their own characters and have companions in their games. :)

It's true, Elel! Believe it or not! Our wishes have been realized. xD
I'm happy! I knew such a mod would be created eventually, but didn't expect it so soon. And… Shani! I want to play as Shani. Cirilla's appearance I dislike for being "non-canon", playing as Triss or Yennifer is just weird (two Trisses in one scene?), but Shani is a cool choice.

I wonder how Geralt's clothes look on them. And what happens to the cutscenes, if anything? I'll need to check the mod out as soon as possible. :)

This was never done for W1&2, despite similar mods being made for those game, so I'm not waiting for that being done for W3. And honestly, I don't really care for voice and animations. Just an opportunity to play as someone else is good enough for me.

Funny thing is that it's again only female models. Something tells me that all three mods for three respective games came from people who wanted a female playable character. Although wait, I'm mistaken. The W2 mod was similar, it

You're right Elel as some designers preferred Ciri over Geralt. To bad her role was very limited in the game. Ves also only had a very minor role in Witcher III this time.

Hopefully the next game after Cyberpunk 2077 will allow you to play as either a male, or female. As I remember reading a few watchers don't like playing as Geralt.

Look on the brightside at least Cyberpunk 2077 will have more options.

You're right Elel as some designers preferred Ciri over Geralt.
Some designers? Who?

Hopefully the next game after Cyberpunk 2077 will allow you to play as either a male, or female. As I remember reading a few watchers don't like playing as Geralt.
I guess I'm among those watchers. I dislike Geralt both in character and appearance, so I was eagerly waiting for a chance to play as someone else.

As for Cyberpunk 2077… I don't really like cyberpunk, so it's hard to feel hyped up. Deus Ex games are about the only cyberpunk-related stuff I ever liked, while movies and books I've watched and read in this setting did nothing for me.

I'm not exactly trusting CDPR to create a good female player character, either. Their women are sexualized, so I'm not holding my breath. Haha, I once took a picture of Philippa, applied some normal (but posh) medieval dress to her and she looked so much better. Like an actual powerful sorceress.

Some designers? Who?
Check the interviews on the site as I posted many of them as News-editor.

I remember some of the questions asked about Ciri and the response given back talked about how some of the designers loved playing her more then they did as Geralt.

You're right Elel as some designers preferred Ciri over Geralt. To bad her role was very limited in the game. Ves also only had a very minor role in Witcher III this time.

Playing her in the game to me was a downfall of the game as it was like playing a cut scene. I get people like having other characters or making their on in a game but series was based off the books.

Now I wouldn't mind a short game where you could play someone else from the game. Or a post or per game based loosely on the series. I posted in another thread I wouldn't mind being able to play even another side in the game that doesn't like the witchers or playing roche or the scoia'tael.

I remember some of the questions asked about Ciri and the response given back talked about how some of the designers loved playing her more then they did as Geralt.

Her movements and fighting style were clearly different but even more twichy.

I definitely liked playing as Ciri better, personally, for all kinds of reasons. Obviously, it was easier playing as a woman because, well…obviously I understood her way better. Geralt was kind of this stony…enigma, and I still don't really understand him as a person. But also because I dunno…I liked the faster, more nimble swordsmanship she brought.

And yeah, Couch is right. There were a lot of Witcher 3 devs that liked Ciri better.

Now I see how I missed that. There was so much CDPR hype that at some point I completely stopped reading articles about them and W3. It's pretty much like when Undertale won the Gamefaqs' "Best Game Ever" award I suddenly decided not to play it, although I planned to. Sometimes there's so much hype it can be off-putting. :)

My main gripe with Ciri: In the books she has exotic appearance, a la the aen sidhe of old, it's supposed to be recognizable if you look closely enough. In the game she looks like a pretty European.

Otherwise, it was enjoyable playing her in short segments. But I agree with CelticFrost that it wasn't all that good. Those segments felt tucked on. They could be cutscenes.

Well the new torment game offers a choice of protagonists. Something to look forward to as it will change the experience considerably role-playing wise.

Well the new torment game offers a choice of protagonists. Something to look forward to as it will change the experience considerably role-playing wise.

Really?? I'd been really curious about that, but the last time I looked, there wasn't much info about it. So that's awesome. :)

Really?? I'd been really curious about that, but the last time I looked, there wasn't much info about it. So that's awesome. :)

It will be interesting for sure. I'm glad that gender differences are acknowledged, not many rpgs bother to do it in a meaningful way. I expect that the writing and quest design has been thought through to accommodate those differences.

It was talked about in one of the kickstarter updates - can't remember which one sorry.

Last edited:
I don't want to tell anyone how to play a game or generally have fun, but playing TW3 with another "character" doesn't make any sense to me.
The plot is fitted for Geralt. You'll get immersion breaks on every corner.

But development of and excitement for this kind of mods shoes that people want to have more choices on their protagonist.
Signed!

Geralt was kind of this stony…enigma, and I still don't really understand him as a person.
What exactly don't you understand?

What exactly don't you understand?

I have to give you the frustrating version. :) I can't think of any one thing about him I don't understand. He's a very realistic character - very. As such, he's the kind of dark, brooding guy that holds his emotions in really well, and so he's hard to read, I guess.

I think that's the best way I could explain it. :)

I don't want to tell anyone how to play a game or generally have fun, but playing TW3 with another "character" doesn't make any sense to me.
You just did tell us how to play a game. Would you mind if I totally ignore your opinion that the way I want to play the game doesn't make sense to you?

The plot is fitted for Geralt. You'll get immersion breaks on every corner.
There are people with good enough imagination, you know. ;) You can easily pretend the voice is female, the name is not Geralt, etc, and you'll be totally immersed into a game as a different character. The story will make perfect sense, too, you can correct it as you go along. I've done that plenty of times in childhood while reading books and inserting myself as a character inside. :)

Unfortunately, imagination doesn't work so well with visual stuff, it stands out too much and you can see it at all times, hence the need for a mod to change Geralt's model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom