RPG Codex - GOTY 2019 Results - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPG Codex - GOTY 2019 Results

Default RPG Codex - GOTY 2019 Results

January 25th, 2020, 16:10
I won't get into the debate over which games are more complicated, I'll just say to me the newer Xcoms feels less complicated than many of the Tactical RPG's. That's just feeling though, I'll leave the proper analysis to other people.

I enjoy all of them, but if I'm forced to pick a favourite I'd choose the original Xcoms, but mostly because of the more interesting strategy later that trumps both the newer XCOMs and all the Tactical RPG's I've played. Combat is fun in all of them.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

January 25th, 2020, 17:57
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
I won't get into the debate over which games are more complicated, I'll just say to me the newer Xcoms feels less complicated than many of the Tactical RPG's. That's just feeling though, I'll leave the proper analysis to other people.

I enjoy all of them, but if I'm forced to pick a favourite I'd choose the original Xcoms, but mostly because of the more interesting strategy later that trumps both the newer XCOMs and all the Tactical RPG's I've played. Combat is fun in all of them.
Can't stand the new XComs at all as they simplify old systems like the trajectory (which doesnt exist anymore) or cover. My favorite is Jagged Alliance 1/DG/2. However they are arguably not the most "tactical" ones. They offer tons of options, but due to the lack of AI and some cookie cutter behaviour you can easily just go with one method to solve most maps. So in that regard some of the games which offer less options are practically more complex as each decision and option has more weight.

Btw looking forward to Urban Strife. Might be the informal JA successor, JA fans waited for.

Recent video showing some interface:
loading…
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 19:07
I would agree that the current X-coms seem way easier now than the classic games are. Personally when I want to experience X-com in its glory, I'll still to the original game plus the Deep one.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 22:18
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I would agree that the current X-coms seem way easier now than the classic games are. Personally when I want to experience X-com in its glory, I'll still to the original game plus the Deep one.
I played old UFO and new Xcoms for 100s of hours on hardest difficulty ironman and new ones are harder but only because of their crazy dependance on RNG.

Original UFO/Xcom has certain things you can do that minimizes RNG effect on your success and then as soon as you reach end game aliens don't have tools to deal with you having Psi Powers or Blaster Launchers.

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

January 25th, 2020, 22:23
Originally Posted by HiddenX View Post
Since when has battle complexity something to do with the size of the battlefield?
I know lots of counter-examples. Albion, Vestaria Saga, Chess etc.
Chess! Great example.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

January 29th, 2020, 12:08
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
I played old UFO and new Xcoms for 100s of hours on hardest difficulty ironman and new ones are harder but only because of their crazy dependance on RNG.

Original UFO/Xcom has certain things you can do that minimizes RNG effect on your success and then as soon as you reach end game aliens don't have tools to deal with you having Psi Powers or Blaster Launchers.
Yeah, the originals have more OP stuff (PSI). But I would still reckon it's the harder game for someone going in blind? I can't really judge it properly though since I've played neither the older nor the new ones on Ironman, which would be the only "right" way of determining difficulty.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
+1:

January 29th, 2020, 12:11
I find the original a bit easier than the new ones. TftD on the other hander is just pure frustration i.e. searching multiple maps to find one sectiod hidden in a toilet!!
--
Favourite RPGs of all time: Wizardry 6, Ultima 7/7.2, Fallout2, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate 2+TOB, Jagged Alliance 2, Ravenloft: The stone prophet, Gothic 2, Realms of Arkania:Blade of destiny (not the HD version!!) and Secret of the Silver Blades.

bjon045

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
+1:
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPG Codex - GOTY 2019 Results