Drakensang: TRoT - NA Digital Releases Next Week

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The NA release of Drakensang: The River of Time has quietly crept up on us, with both Impulse and Gamersgate offering DRM-free versions for the 11th January. Unfortunately, both are region restricted so the UK, AU and other English regions are still waiting - but promised for early this year. The price won't display for me because of my region, so check it out yourself. I had a quick look for retail boxed versions at a few stores but didn't see anything available.
More information.

The price at both sites is $18. The regular price is $20, but you get 10% off for preordering.

Region locked digital distribution is faggotry. Saw it on Impulse last night, but alas i live in Estonia, and i'm therefore considered an untermensch. Getting a boxed version from a store here is impossible. So' like with all dtp games it's either importing or piracy for me.

Makes no sense at all. First they wait a year, then they throw it out for 20 bucks?!
They could have sold it digitally for 40$ right away. Then lower the price or re-release it in combination with the add-on. Why not at least try to sell a few thousand copies at full price?
I don't understand the business decisions behind this.

Correct Gamersgate link. Looks like the publisher for these digital versions is officially ValuSoft (budget brand owned by THQ, iirc) rather than dtp which might explain the region locking.

(Having said that, at present the GG version is not showing as region locked for me, in NZ)

ValuSoft ? Urgh. They seemingly had an exclusive deal with the original publishers of Puzzle Quest 1, which resulted the game NOT being in German retail for ONE year ! - They sold the already translated German-language version for 1 year exclusively digitally through Gamesload (a daughter company of the German Telekom), and only after that 1 year Puzzle Quest 1 showed up at German retail … Even Infinite Interactive wasn't informed of that deal that - I assume - came up through sub-licensing to Gamesload.

I found this out through own research, and since then I'm highly suspecious against ValuSoft, and their reputation has for me reached negative numbers.
To say I don't like ValuSoft is an understatement.

Gamersgate locked in Czech Republic too. I hope Impulse will have my region unlocked before Avadon comes out. Otherwise I will have to choose one of them. Don't have enough free time to play them both :(

Sounds almost to me as if ValuSoft made exclusive deals again. Yuck.

Hmm...no word any any DLC inclusion and the like? Pretty likely to get this, especially at this kind of price baseline, though I do wonder about post release patches/support.

And...purchased (from impulse). $18 is a no brainer, I'm surprised at how cheap this was, happy, but surprised. I guess I only paid $30 for Draken 1 but I was surprised at how cheap that was too.

I'm not surprised by this news anymore.Every dtp published game came out a year or more later in the US. DTP commented on how the English speaking countries and US is to hard to accomplish. Gotta wonder at there marketing department. Probably couldn't cover the cost.

Pardon my ignorance, but is TRoT an expansion or a full-blown sequel? I still haven't finished the original, but I've loved every second of it so far.

And clearly improved. This shouldn't be a budget game at all.

Back
Top Bottom