Grim Dawn - Forgotten Gods Gameplay

Wowsers. That would be the equivalent of over a year's worth of work, if you worked 8 hours a day, seven days a week!

The only games I've put that kind of time into were Everquest One and Everquest Two. Even counting replays with some games that I've re-visited many times, I wouldn't rack up those kinds of hours.

Hey y'all, long time lurker first time poster here, the ONLY ARPG for me, GD is got feeling playing it, the others simply don't (PoE looking at you) so looking forward to new content :) Going Paladin i think can't wait :D
Welcome!

For me it's the first arpg since Diablo 2 I really liked over time.

Not triggered here Dart.

A little bit, I think :)

As for hardcore, it's the only way to play ARPGs in my opinion. Additionally, the option is there to be used; it's not my fault the servers sucked. It wasn't a problem on my end. I can't see how one would be dense in perusing and exploring one of the game's options. I never complained about my multiple hardcore deaths in Grim Dawn because they were always my fault.

Playing Hardcore in any online infrastructure game is begging for trouble. Whether it's on their part, the part of your ISP - or your cat slipping in the Ethernet cable.

It's inevitable that something is going to happen.

I will spare you my opinion of the Hardcore mode overall, though.

Then again, what is this moment to moment gameplay? Being able to rush non stop and keep engaging enemies?

No, having fun is probably the best way I can put it :)

What did you expect you baited him with another uninformed post. Your getting as bad as the republicans in USA. Anyway whatever. Historically these folks have done pretty good meaty expansions. As for 'fun' moments well that depends on one cup of tea. For the type of game it is - it is pretty good but not everyone likes this sort of game. Your post is sort of a generic i've never played this game but i just gotta add my snotty comment.

Oh, I get it. You understand that fun is subjective - but my subjective notion of fun is "uninformed" :)

I actually completed Grim Dawn twice - because my ex-girlfriend really liked it. Which is probably part of why I know just how sickeningly boring it is.

I should probably add that she preferred Diablo 3 as well, though. I know how to pick 'em ;)

You're being petty and your comment makes as much sense to me as your usual irrational drivel fueled by endless arrogance covered in that terribly unconvincing "I'm trying to be scientific and neutral" act.

Anyway, this marks the first time I've been compared to Republicans.

I've been called everything from a Nazi to a psychopath - but not a Republican.

Thank you for that one :)

I played to level 40 or whatever on highest difficulty, i didn't die once. I remember complaining about it and all i got was "it's supposed to be like that, you're supposed to get gear duh!". This is candy crush of ARPG's, there's nothing interesting about it, i'm very surprised it has positive reviews, sure it looks nice, but the game is such absolute garbage, zero atmosphere due to the constant neon colors which makes it look like you're in a 80's arcade hall, boring gameplay (supposedly it DOES get harder eventually i read somewhere). 13h was enough for me, i doubt there's really more to see / experience after those hours.

I played to level 40 or whatever on highest difficulty, i didn't die once. I remember complaining about it and all i got was "it's supposed to be like that, you're supposed to get gear duh!". This is candy crush of ARPG's, there's nothing interesting about it, i'm very surprised it has positive reviews, sure it looks nice, but the game is such absolute garbage, zero atmosphere due to the constant neon colors which makes it look like you're in a 80's arcade hall, boring gameplay (supposedly it DOES get harder eventually i read somewhere). 13h was enough for me, i doubt there's really more to see / experience after those hours.

I'm pretty sure you are mistaking this for another game? This game has no neon colors (in fact it's been criticized for being too drab). And you can't start on highest difficulty. There is some sort of option for increasing the number of enemies, though.

The first difficulty is however too easy, in my opinion.

Gee you sure spend a lot of time playing a games you find utterly boring. No wonder you haven't manage to do anything productive.

Not even pretending it’s not personal anymore? That’s progress and probably the closest thing to honesty for you. Good :)

I'm pretty sure you are mistaking this for another game? This game has no neon colors (in fact it's been criticized for being too drab). And you can't start on highest difficulty. There is some sort of option for increasing the number of enemies, though.

The first difficulty is however too easy, in my opinion.

I'm on Veteran Difficulty.

vi5m4.jpg

The game is a neon disco, it's probably one of the most colorful games i've seen.

Merely responding to your personal attacks. Anyway have fun playing games you find boring.

Yes, it's not like you started by calling me as bad as republicans and my opinion uninformed or anything. Simply because you take it personally when people don't like what you like. It's not uncommon, though.

The petty part is making it exclusively personal and pretending you're not a part of such a development. You have no accountability - and to me that's just another kind of dishonesty.

As for Grim Dawn, it's the kind of game that's promising on paper. I was engaged for the first 5-10 hours - but I got bored as soon as I realised how drone-like it felt to actually play and how few active skills were necessary to accomplish anything.

But when you're in a relationship - and you find an activity that both of you can enjoy to some extent, I think it's only reasonable to make an effort to make the other part happy. She was a big fan of ARPGs - and we played Path of Exile, Diablo 3, Division and other games together. She was happy - and so I endured Grim Dawn as best I could.

I could go on for a very long time about what I prefer in games like this - but that won't change anything. You, being who you are, will still try to find something "wrong" about opinions you don't share when it comes to games you enjoy. You've shown that quality again and again.

It takes a certain maturity of character to go beyond that - and that's not your thing, and it's ok.

Have fun with Grim Dawn expansions, though :)

My comments on your opinion is based on what you say; for someone who has spent 10's if not 100's of hours playing this boring game you dislike you make comments like someone who has never played the game. Sort of like your comments on controller vs kb/m for yakuza - they are generic statements anyone could make from the most casual reviews. They lack details of someone who has actually played the game that might actually make them useful.
-
While I expect the expansion for Grim Dawn to follow the general trend of adding more items; more quests; more boss monsters I would not exactly call it a 'by the number' expansion that is found by some companies. The very fact that much details is provided during development and they tend to listen to core customers feedback on those details suggest otherwise.
-
That does not mean you will like it or that you enjoy the game; or that I will like it or that I enjoy the game - but it does suggest it is hardly by the number as you so put it.
-
You seem to suggest that you play these games and have great insight into them but 99% of the time you provide extremely shallow answers.
-
For the type of game this is i would say it is better than a lot of arpg but as a general rule arpg are going to be point and click without a whole lot of thought. Some of the quests might require a bit more marginal thinking but it is hardly going to be a deep game with comprehensive quests or puzzles. That is the nature of nearly all arpg. So then it comes down to whether the loot/pace/builds/story(not that it is deep) or other aspects of the game grab you. They appear not to from your later comments but your early comments certain appear to be baiting and generic. Perhaps that is your intention - perhaps not.

As for my comment of you being as bad as the republicans - that is the frequent bait/attack you make without substance which is not unlike the republicans. It is not a commentary on your political beliefs.
-

Yes, it's not like you started by calling me as bad as republicans and my opinion uninformed or anything. Simply because you take it personally when people don't like what you like. It's not uncommon, though.

As for Grim Dawn, it's the kind of game that's promising on paper. I was engaged for the first 5-10 hours - but I got bored as soon as I realised how drone-like it felt to actually play and how few active skills were necessary to accomplish anything.

Have fun with Grim Dawn expansions, though :)

My comments on your opinion is based on what you say; for someone who has spent 10's if not 100's of hours playing this boring game you dislike you make comments like someone who has never played the game. Sort of like your comments on controller vs kb/m for yakuza - they are generic statements anyone could make from the most casual reviews. They lack details of someone who has actually played the game that might actually make them useful.
-
While I expect the expansion for Grim Dawn to follow the general trend of adding more items; more quests; more boss monsters I would not exactly call it a 'by the number' expansion that is found by some companies. The very fact that much details is provided during development and they tend to listen to core customers feedback on those details suggest otherwise.
-
That does not mean you will like it or that you enjoy the game; or that I will like it or that I enjoy the game - but it does suggest it is hardly by the number as you so put it.
-
You seem to suggest that you play these games and have great insight into them but 99% of the time you provide extremely shallow answers.
-
For the type of game this is i would say it is better than a lot of arpg but as a general rule arpg are going to be point and click without a whole lot of thought. Some of the quests might require a bit more marginal thinking but it is hardly going to be a deep game with comprehensive quests or puzzles. That is the nature of nearly all arpg. So then it comes down to whether the loot/pace/builds/story(not that it is deep) or other aspects of the game grab you. They appear not to from your later comments but your early comments certain appear to be baiting and generic. Perhaps that is your intention - perhaps not.

As for my comment of you being as bad as the republicans - that is the frequent bait/attack you make without substance which is not unlike the republicans. It is not a commentary on your political beliefs.
-

Translation: you likes the game, and therefore any criticism is shallow or wrong.

It's not terribly complicated. You are who you are. It's common for human beings to take these things personally.

As I said, you need a certain level of maturity to handle it without making it into something personal. A lot of people can't do that - and that's ok. You're really no worse than most in that way. What I find particularly annoying with you is your pretense of objectivity and the "I'm so reasonable" act - because it's so counter to the reality about you.

My original statement was in jest and it even had a smiley - and someone took it to heart. That's how these things work sometimes.

We could, of course, have had a productive discussion about the finer points - and one which wouldn't be so shallow, as you put it - but that would have required an ability to be objective and forthcoming about a difference of opinion on your part, and it's long past that point. The fact that you still communicate with me at all - given your obvious personal issues with my "shallow and uninformed" opinions tells me that you don't understand what a good use of your time would be.

I played Yakuza with KB/M and I switched to controller - because movement was imprecise and awful, and I find beat-em up combat much more natural with a controller. I don't really need more than that to have an opinion about it.

If you expect a scientifically proven opinion whenever you ask others for help, then I must wish you good luck :)

Grim Dawn is a fine game if you're into what it does well - and it does many things well. The overall experience will be subjective, however.

Anyway, we're done here.

vi5m4.jpg

The game is a neon disco, it's probably one of the most colorful games i've seen.

Might be true, since I have no clue what games you played. For me, that is hardly a neon disco, at least in relation to other games. There's some glowing stuff in the game, but mostly the colors are not that varied in one area.
The fights sometimes are a bit of a light show (also depending on your own characters contribution, so ymmv), but overall the color scheme is much more mellow than, e.g., Torchlight 2.

Edit: But I'll easily agree that there are also much more dreary games. Say, Diablo 1, if we stay in this genre.

As I said, you need a certain level of maturity to handle it without making it into something personal. A lot of people can't do that - and that's ok. You're really no worse than most in that way. What I find particularly annoying with you is your pretense of objectivity and the "I'm so reasonable" act - because it's so counter to the reality about you.

Oh, that's rich. ;)

Oh, that's rich.

I'm sure you think so :)

As for Neon Disco - that's not how I would describe Grim Dawn. Rather the opposite, actually.

The colors are mostly drab - and while the effects are somewhat colorful, they're very basic and simplistic. For instance, I found the green poison-like effect absurdly overdone and overused.

The world is way, way too samey and bland overall.

Definitely a step down from Titan Quest - which I enjoyed much more. Not because the actual game was that much more exciting - but the world was richer and the competition less obviously superior.

All these factors contribute to the less-than-exciting gameplay experience, I find. Still, it's the flow of combat and dull active skill design that are the biggest sinners here.

Too bad, too - as I really like the class mechanics and a lot of the loot is very enticing. Better than Diablo 3 in many ways here.

Well, if only the visuals were the main issue - I could deal with that.

To me, it's an "ok" game in terms of looks. Not exciting - but functional. It suffers from the typical low-budget issues of very limited animation sets and models. Some people are much more into the spreadsheet aspect of the genre, as I touched upon - and that's cool.

For me, I need it all - and I can't make do with interesting mechanics if the core gameplay is boring. But I concede that I'm a very demanding gamer when it comes to the moment-to-moment gameplay.

That's why a game like Diablo 3 - which is mechanically inferior to PoE and GD - is much more suited for me. It has an absurd amount of distinct toys to play around with - and it's almost hypnotic in how satisfying the gameplay is.

But that's Blizzard - and they understand polish and basic gameplay better than most developers - and, of course, they have almost unlimited funds available for the production values. They can have dozens and dozens of extremely talented artists assigned to create each of the classes - and they can afford to make them all play and look absolutely distinct, because each of them has their own unique animation sets and their own particular flow to it.

For GD, every single class combination will "feel" very similar - even if the active skills are different in function. That's because there's only one model - and both the male and female animations are identical. You get some rather basic gestures when skills are activated - and they repeat throughout the game, for hundreds or potentially thousands of hours.

It's the sort of thing you either care about or you don't. I'm not going to say it's about experience or that someone is right or wrong to not notice that sort of thing.

Anyway, there's no need to drone on about it. I'll leave it alone - unless someone insists on dragging it out :)

It's easy to cherry-pick a screenshot with a lot of effects going off at once, but that doesn't accurately represent what the game looks like most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom