Last game you finished, tell us about it

Evil Within 2 --

As a preamble I did not play the first one so that might impact my experience.
-
I thought the game was very good. It is basically a story driven horror/shooter/stealth game. I don't want to provide spoilers but I felt the story and presentation were pretty decent and semi-original (in this day and age you can always find older similar works). The maps were ok - not super large but still interesting.
-
The balance was decent and the mechanics were pretty good with reasonable upgrades (both the player and the items can be upgraded - character upgrades are chosen from 5 or 6 category and involve buying select upgrades in exchange for 'gel' which you find. You have to pick your upgrade path carefully as you will not be able to buy most upgrades. Likewise for weapons - you can upgrade weapons among a number of paths using 'weapon parts' you find but only a fraction of the upgrades can be picked so pick carefully.
-
I found the game rather difficult - playing on a middle difficulty level but a part of the difficulty came from non-responsive controls using kb/m on the pc. No clue if the controller is more responsive. The layout on the kb/m are decent but don't expect twitch response.
-
Likewise the save is a pia. You can only save in select locations (safe houses) and at key points there are autosaves (but the key points can be quite distant). While typically a save can be made 30 or 45 minutes either auto or manually there are a few sections where it might be an hour+.
-
It isn't a long game - I think i took between 20 and 30 hours and found about 90% of the content - one hint is that if you break these little statues lying everywhere you will get a key for some goodies. Sadly I had no way of knowing such and missed most of the keys (maybe they assumed you played the first game or maybe there was an intro that mentioned it but i don't think so). A few other nit picks around game play and such but overall a very interesting game worth playing.

I recently finishes Elex. Took about 50 hours and loved Every minute of it!
I played gothic I II and III, risen I and III.

I liked it more than risen. The unforgiving open world reminded me a bit of Gothic III, Which would have been my favorate gothic game if it was less buggy.

So for all the Gothic fans… Go play Elex!!

Yup, completely agree on Elex. Yeah, you could nit-pick some issues, no game is absolutely perfect, but for sheer value and fun from one single product, Elex would be tough to beat. Loved it the first time and I know I'll be replaying it again in the future.

Mad Max. Fun mechanics but ultimately boring because of the grinding. Clearing camps is fun the first two times. I went for the story which is also meh, except towards the end. There was a surprising turn which I personally didn't see coming, but maybe I should have.

Having a hard time starting up a next game. I think I need a short gaming break or some encouragement:
- the last of us: I took the 7 days ps now trial at the wrong time, so I cancelled it for now
- risen: I'm being slaughtered by 5 wolves at the beginning of the game (and loading times are bad)
- tyranny: couldn't get the steam controller to work

Looked at buying hollow knight, metro 2033, metro last light, or dying light in the sales but postponed it for now till I'm in a better mood for gaming.

Having a hard time starting up a next game. I think I need a short gaming break or some encouragement:
- the last of us: I took the 7 days ps now trial at the wrong time, so I cancelled it for now
- risen: I'm being slaughtered by 5 wolves at the beginning of the game (and loading times are bad)

Risen, like most games from Piranha Bytes, is very difficult in the beginning. It's a great game though if you like open-world with lots of exploration and atmosphere. Don't try to take on more than 1 enemy at a time especially early on.

I don't recall it having particularly long load times. Are you playing the PC version? What are your system specs?

I haven't played Tyranny yet, but why would you want to use a controller for that instead of K+M?
Looked at buying hollow knight, metro 2033, metro last light, or dying light in the sales but postponed it for now till I'm in a better mood for gaming.

The Metro games are really good if you like shooters. 2033 is better than Last Light, but I think they're both worth playing. Metro Exodus is even better yet. Make sure you get the Redux versions.

Someone please tell me how to unsee this. Please.

@JDR13; Sorry I did not see your reply in time. I'm slowly getting into Risen and posted in the Risen subforum on it. The loading times aren't that bad, but for such an old game running on a SSD it is slow. The witcher 3 was at least twice as fast, if not instantious when loading into the same region (e.g., after death).

Someone please tell me how to unsee this. Please.
I can edit it out for you :)

I'm just too addicted to my 50 inch tv with decent surround system. If possible, I prefer to play my games this way. Not too mention that my game pc is in a dusty room upstairs. Hmm, I could start looking into a remote keyboard and mouse as I agree it is much better for these kind of games. I just have very bad experiences with battery life when them like 15 years ago. Should be much better now.

Enderal complete in 168 hours. I finished almost all quests including collections but not miscellaneous dungeons. If you like philosophical games definitely worth your time. Overall design cohesive in exploring faith, heroism, the purpose of life in the face of inevitable death, etc. There are NO villains here - that alone makes this game awesome! The antagonists are just good people doing the wrong thing for the right reason. There are no right answers, only choices, and often those choices don't make a damn bit of difference anyway.

I have refinished the first Risen; probably everyone knows how good the first half is and how annoying the 2nd. I havent replayed this since when it came out so after i arrived at the titan's door for the first time, i said to myself what are all these people talk about when it took me like 2-3-4 hours maybe to reach the titan. But then got the quests to gather the armor from all those temples and i was like "FUCK OFF" haha.

Also it was very easy on normal, i got OP after a few hours of exploration.

Finished the 2nd risen and dragged myself to do it, worst PB game by far. So many negative things compared to the first one.

I believe the only Risen game I've replayed, and the only one I'll ever likely replay was the first. If you ever replay the second or third iteration in the series, well, you are just better than I!!

I just finished FAR: Lone Sails. What a fantastic little game. It clocks in at just under 4 hours, but it was wonderful. A game with a soul. And they say games can't be art. Fuck that. But it really does put most AAA shit to shame. The ending was also climactic. I highly recommend playing it.

"Finished" Skyrim (main story + expacs). I played it in this order: Dawnguard, Dragonborn and main game.

Dawnguard had some nice dungeons and crossbows. The story is uneven but it's probably the best of all 3 "main stories".

Dragonborn was like Bethesda wanted to make another Cthulhu game or something. It felt out of place sometimes.

I preferred Oblivion main story to Skyrim main story...I think that's saying something.

I played with a "paladin": shield/one-handed, restoration (with Dawnguard anti-undead spells), alteration, heavy armor (+ skills that raise by themselves like speech).

Shield is OP, you can stun lock anything as long as you have 1 point of stamina. Made the game a bit boring toward the end.

I hate Skyrim companion system and I endured it all the way from Dawnguard to the end. That too made encounters too easy.

I think the game is best played by ignoring all the main stories. That's when I have the most fun with it at least.

I accidently finished To Light: Ex Umbra yesterday. I thought I was in an area to complete a side quest and wound up in the final fight, but it turned out ok. I became aware of this game via the kick starter campaign, and since I quite enjoy most turn-based jrpg's, I kicked in.

You eventually wind up with six playable characters, four of which you can use in a group. They all get experience, so you can mingle the group freely and just explore which members work best for you. The story is deep and decent, lots of twists with an occasional betrayal thrown in for good measure. I think it took me around thirty hours to complete the game. If you like turn-based jrpg's, in the style of games that were popular in the eighties/nineties, you'll likely enjoy this one.

Finished the walking dead series from telltale
first season 9/10
second season 8.5/10
third season 4/10
fourth season 7/10

Third isnt even worth mentioning, while the first 2 were really good. I liked the change of theme in the last season, kids vs adults.

I think the game is best played by ignoring all the main stories. That's when I have the most fun with it at least.

This! Skyrim is best played by totally ignoring Bethesda's writing and just living in the world. I typically play the main quest till I unlock the shouts and word walls, then drop it. I don't want to support the washed up Blades. I generally play a miner or alchemist and try to vastly slow down leveling via mods.

This! Skyrim is best played by totally ignoring Bethesda's writing and just living in the world. I typically play the main quest till I unlock the shouts and word walls, then drop it. I don't want to support the washed up Blades. I generally play a miner or alchemist and try to vastly slow down leveling via mods.

Mostly agree, I don't think the writing is that bad, but in both Skyrim and Fallout 4, I just didn't feel like working the main quests because … curiously they did not fit into the world I was playing in. Both games were far superior when I just went about doing my own thing.

In fallout 4, with the SimCity mechanic, I was basically a fixer/upper- warrior landlord, keeping all my settlements safe from the bad guys. And with over 800 hours in, you can say I was pretty invested in my tenants....

In skyrim, I was basically a librarian/ninja archer. Always on the lookout for books to put in my home library and with over 300 hours in that game, well I had a nice library.

Now with Enderal, which has a far better story, I kinda rerverted back to type and I'm doing my own thing once again in this gigantic world. I'm only a little over 300 hours in but I have not found my place in this world yet. The game has a nice mechanic where it keeps you abreast of your stats. Right now I have 13 assaults on my record and I have no idea why? So now my ninja archer will always walk up to a possible bad guy and see if they engage in conversation (they usually don't) I will then run away and then disperse of the baddie. Perhaps in this game I am to be an avenging angle.

Now with Enderal, ... Right now I have 13 assaults on my record and I have no idea why?

The assaults stats is from normal Skyrim, it triggers when you hit someone before they are red. Pretty easy to have a high assault count when playing a stealth character.

Haha yeah, when I was going through Enderal, I always had some fines racking up for me in the cities. Not even sure how I caused most of them to happen, but the amounts were trivial so I paid them off just not to have a posse on my back.

The assaults stats is from normal Skyrim, it triggers when you hit someone before they are red. Pretty easy to have a high assault count when playing a stealth character.

hmmmmm,

does that stat only rack up against humans?

There is one way to make them go red, by shooting an arrow in some far off corner. But I'm guessing/wondering only bad guys go red when there is a threat?

in any event, thanks for the info

Back
Top Bottom