Last game you finished, tell us about it

Just finished Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.

I went for a non-lethal run trying to do all side quests that popped up without exploring every detail and thus missing some content for sure. I ended up with ~40 hours gametime.
Story was ok but without any big moments. Gameplay became a bit repititive. All of the missions are more or less about reaching a certain destination for the story to proceed. Despite having multiple options (hacking, sneaking, using vents, neutralize and hide enemies etc.) to reach this destinations you're doing the same things over and over again. Perhaps the game is more ejoyable if it's played as a shooter (which isn't an enjoyable option for me personally).
Biggest minus for me is the boring protagonist Adam Jensen himself. He's just too ultra-cool with an ultra-cool monotous voice and doesn't in any way develop over the game. The other characters for me aren't memorable as well.
I needed 2 months to finish the game as I just didn't have the motivation to proceed und somehow needed to force myself to play. The final mission was above average.
On my personal fun scale (<6 means I won't play/finish the game) I rated it 6.5/10 which makes it equal to TDE: Demonicon, TDE: Blackguards 2, Shadowrun Returns and Risen 3.

Perhaps the game is more ejoyable if it's played as a shooter
IMO it's not. You'll still be looking for cover like crazy and progress slowly. It's designed around using augments so you can still try superhero killer where it does get a bit more fun in areas with dozens of hostiles. The downside is it doesn't gain you any steam achievement.

Biggest minus for me is the boring protagonist Adam Jensen himself. He's just too ultra-cool with an ultra-cool monotous voice and doesn't in any way develop over the game. The other characters for me aren't memorable as well.
While I adore Jensen's ubercool 24/7 on heavy drugs voice, the rest of cast voiceover is not even close to DX:HR. Not saying all voiceactors sucked, some definetly did but some were okay. Whoever wrote the dialogue lines should be ashamed. Books and emails in the game are more fun to read then listen to random chatty.

which makes it equal to… Shadowrun Returns
Get real. It's like saying The Witcher 3 is equal to Candy Crush Saga.

Get real. It's like saying The Witcher 3 is equal to Candy Crush Saga.
Pff…it's my personal fun scale, so I say what I want. :p
Wasn't talking bout Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong btw. These expansions I both rated 8/10.

Mass Effect 1

That's like my what, 10th replay of that game? I made a Renegade Adept Shepard. I usually play Paragon, it's like my second renegade playthrough for the game.

I forgot how crap the cover system was in this game, half the time my Shepard didn't want to shoot at things while in cover. There is a bunch of other buggy things too, like ironsight shooting not always working and weird stuff happening here and there.

I fast tracked the game so I didn't do all the side planets content (end time: 7h45 hours, a new record for me and I did all the side quests in the Citadel the first time you go there and like 2 side planets too). I also tried stuff I never tried before like going through the door with the turrets in Noveria instead of using the maintenance access (mouahahahah).

And after finishing, I decided to start a new renegade playthrough with FemShep. Soldier this time, just to kill stuff faster. The plan is to import into ME2 and I really prefer Hale voice. I'll get to finish that ME trilogy replay one of these day, hopefully before MEA is released.

Just finished Legend of Heroes: Trail of Cold Steel 2, loved it! But man, these games are looooong. First one took me just over 100 hours. The second one took me 110 hours (I thought I had it finished at about 100 hours, ready to watch the end credits, and then suddenly the game kept going on, and the story continued for like 10 more hours after that.

But man, these games are looooong. First one took me just over 100 hours. The second one took me 110 hours (I thought I had it finished at about 100 hours, ready to watch the end credits, and then suddenly the game kept going on, and the story continued for like 10 more hours after that.
Haha, but isn't that great? When I like the game I never want it to end.

I played it recently, as well. And now I feel a bit upset, because I thought the third game (in Sky trilogy, not Cold Steel) is getting released this December. But apparently it's February instead. Noooooooo! I've been waiting for about a year, and now it turns out that I've been waiting for the wrong month, can you imagine how that feels? LOL at me…

And damnit, it'll be a long wait till the third Cold Steel game, too! My only hope is that meanwhile they'll translate two others they haven't translated yet.

---------------------------

That said, the very last game I finished was Grandia (I, not II). Previously I told people here in the forums that it's a horrible, horrible game with a good battle system. But I have to admit that I somewhat enjoyed it. Its problems are: 1) incredibly hackneyed plot; 2) dungeons are badly done and feel annoying. Still, if you apply correct dosages, like playing 1-2 dungeons per day, you can actually enjoy the game! Just don't expect it to be interesting. Its only saving grace is how battles are done and how levelling works, but the implementation of these is one of the best I've ever seen.

Now I kinda want to pick up Grandia II, since people admire it so much, however, some reviews I trust suggest that its plot is no improvement over Grandia I. In fact, they suggest that all Game Arts games (Grandia I-II, Lunar I-II) have really bad plots. So I'm undecided. Playing FFVI for now.

I went for a non-lethal run trying to do all side quests that popped up without exploring every detail and thus missing some content for sure. I ended up with ~40 hours gametime.
Did you manage to finish your non-lethal run without killing anyone? In DX:HR it wasn't possible.

Did you manage to finish your non-lethal run without killing anyone? In DX:HR it wasn't possible.
Yep. There's a Pacifist achievement for exactly this, which I then got.

Eh, finished Amnesia last night. Good game, but bit disappointed. Why's this considered ( among the) best horror game?
Few intense run sequences and some nice visual/sound tricks aside, was pretty "mellow" experience. Story pretty lackluster...stole the mysterious artifact, chased by it's guardian...meh, maybe I read way too many Dylan Dog comics.
Monster scares are the worst...hide in corner and admire the wall for few minutes, until it goes, well, wherever it goes.
Did play it on second hardest difficulty, dunno that affects anything, but was overall way, way below Outlast, Silent Hill or Isolation.

First off, I don't usually post on forums, I only occasionally comment on news stories on the front page. I think this is my first proper forum post :) But this thread intrigued me, so here I am posting on forums :)

The last game I finished was Dishonored (the first one). I really liked it but found it a little easy. I played on normal/medium/whaterver it's called difficulty. I opted for nonlethal playthrough and ended up relying too much on Dark Vision. This kind of spoiled the game for me. Seeing through walls tends to do that. I started the first DLC immediately after finishing the game, and playing without DV was more enjoyable. I know I could have just ignored it in the original, but I didn't so there's that.
The story was enjoyable, but I was able to predict "the big twist" so I think it could have been done better. What I liked more was lore, and especially the setting. Finding and reading diaries of poor plague victims worked great on making me immersed in the world. But that was also made easy by my love of victorian and steampunk aesthetics.
What I also liked were the big and open levels. While the game is not open world, it didn't really matter to me and I never felt trapped inside a level. You can get to the end of the level in almost countless ways. This, along with different play styles you can choose, ensures that no two playthroughs fell the same. Two of my favorite levels are the brothel and the party.
As far as graphics go, Dishonored shows how far stylized graphics can go. It still looks pretty and is easy on your hardware too. With my trashcan of a PC, I was able to maintain solid 60 fps on highest settings.
All in all, Dishonored is an enjoyable game. The only weak part of it is some overpowered powers and predictable story.

Picked up Enslaved: Odyssey to the West on Steam a week days ago and finished it last night.
Post apocalyptic setting, a bit more "vibrant" than usual, humanity devastated with mechs/slavers hunting them.
Basically classical, straightforward linear adventure game, strong on cinematic storytelling with simple platforming and combat system( fun, but very basic gameplay, like in Heavenly Sword...dodge, block, parry, few types of attacks and handful of enemy types), easy puzzles.
The game centers ( and excells) when it comes relationship between two main( and likable) characters, great mo cap/voice acting performance, I guess closest comparison in recent history would be Last of Us ( though in quality and tone are levels apart).
Shame they didn't focus more on dialogue and the world, way too many forced combat/platforming sections that eventually outstay it's welcome.
Also world/character design can feel a bit cartoonish, game would benefit from more believable and "grounded" approach.
Overall recommended if you're looking for light ( a bit emotional) adventure focused on characters, skip for combat/long length/replayability.

The game centers ( and excells) when it comes relationship between two main( and likable) characters, great mo cap/voice acting performance,
Instabuy!
I guess closest comparison in recent history would be Last of Us

D2883.1L.jpg

I just finished Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra.

For someone like me, who loves the party-based turn based dungeon crawler style, it's still a solid game, worth a playthrough at least once. It's not terribly hard unless you hit areas before you're able to handle them, and less so if you take advantage of built-in party buffs which negate what challenge there is.

It's not terribly long either, maybe 20 hours (I was doing something else while I played so it's not exact. Plus, I've played it before, so many puzzles I still remembered the solutions to)? There are a number of optional dungeons to explore, which I did, but that in turn makes the end game that much easier. I was around level 80 when I finished, with some optional stuff still on the table.

To be honest, it's always thrown me when getting to the endgames of the older Might and Magics with the sci-fi elements being thrown in after a steady diet of straight western fantasy until the last parts of the game. You can, literally go the entire game of MM3 without setting foot into the sci-fi areas at all. It's still better than 6 and 7 in that regard, since you can go the entire game there, have legendary relics of fantasy weapons, and they're worthless once you get the laser rifles. All the skill development prior is wasted.

Just finally finished The Witcher 3 + Heart of Stone + Blood & Wine.

The game had some issues. The controls were a little odd sometimes (trying to move Geralt just a little bit is a major pain). The music was awesome but it needed more of it, especially in the main game. By far the biggest problem in the game, though, was out-levelling content. The initial area wasn't bad but, for every area after that, by the time I was at the point I wanted to go to the new area I had already out-levelled half the new area's content! And let me tell you, that's a great problem to have.

This game has the writing of Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment, graphics better than Skyrim (especially once you get to Skellige), and the voice acting of Mass Effect. End result: this was the best single player RPG I've ever played.

Total time: 190 hours. I basically ignored the Gwent mini-game but I'll likely have around 700 screenshots once I get through them all.

Now if only we could get a version with turn-based combat… Cyberpunk battles were turn based, you know.

P.S. Thanks to the mighty Shader Hackers, this game is just about perfect in stereoscopic 3D.

Not a full game but i just played the resident evil 7 demo and it was quite good. Great atmosphere, I got the bad ending though so gonna have to try again and give it a little more time. Definitely leaning towards buying it though.

Anyone with the full game have any thoughts?

I basically ignored the Gwent mini-game
O_O
I'm speechless...

Not a full game but i just played the resident evil 7 demo and it was quite good. Great atmosphere, I got the bad ending though so gonna have to try again and give it a little more time. Definitely leaning towards buying it though.

Anyone with the full game have any thoughts?
A few more details wouldn't hurt...
Save system, respawns or not, etc?

O_O
I'm speechless…

A few more details wouldn't hurt…
Save system, respawns or not, etc?

No idea, it was just a short demo. Took me about 1/2 an hour to finish. So no need to save and there was only 1 enemy which I didn't kill, so no idea on respawns either.

The demo was clearly set up to establish atmosphere and it did that extremely well. Just hoping that the entire game can carry it through and that it doesn't devolve in to just another FPS.

That's why I want to see if anyone here has it and has some more details without any spoilers. jDR13, maybe?

Nothing about saves/UI/trashmobs there.

Back
Top Bottom