Grotesque Tactics - Sequel Revealed

From what I recall the main criticism is that the original is an outright awful game. It features terrible writing, terrible gameplay and, well, terrible everything. Maybe they're making an entirely new game!

well... there are lot of players who love this game, thats why they create a sequel.

The original is without any doubt the worst game i have ever bought. The gameplay was complete shit and the humour wasn't even slightly amusing, let alone funny.

The original is without any doubt the worst game i have ever bought. The gameplay was complete shit and the humour wasn't even slightly amusing, let alone funny.

This is simply not true.

If you love your SRPG Grotesque Tactics is high in the ranks of Phantom Brave, LaPucelle Tactics, FF Tactics, Ogre Battle, Shining Force and others. It happens to have some warm hearted humor that mirrors the silly follies of the original Japanese games and mocks them by taking the Anime cliches over the top.

The 20 € I paid for the Premium Edition was money well spent.

The term of a "Sequel" usually means = enough people have bought its predecessor -> which means that it simply cannot be the piece of Bantha poodoo you want it to be, tolknaz.

In fact, there are very, very, *very* few tacics games with humour at all ... S.W.I.N.E is one of them (although RTS) ...

If you love your SRPG Grotesque Tactics is high in the ranks of Phantom Brave, LaPucelle Tactics, FF Tactics, Ogre Battle, Shining Force and others. It happens to have some warm hearted humor that mirrors the silly follies of the original Japanese games and mocks them by taking the Anime cliches over the top.

I won`t argue about the humour because it`s a relative thing. Let me just say Japanese are pretty good at taking the piss out of their games themselves. Why not have a laugh at orcs/cellar rats/fireballs and assorted other western cliches?

But I do love my sRpgs and to say it`s "high in the ranks" with the ones you mention is rather far fetched. Ok, I`ve not played the game but read enough opinions on it and even the positive reviews do not point to deep tactical gameplay as this title`s asset. And that`s putting it mildly.

Its focus is rather on being a parody, I guess/assume.

The main problem with it being a JRPG parody, is that many if not most jrpg's have parody elements about them too. And they actually pull this lighthearted silliness off 10 times better than this game. Or maybe their translation is simply better. Writing in GT felt really clumsy and that might be a big part of why i didn't find the game very funny.

Well, it is or was originally a German game, and a parody on RPGs in general. Not at JRPGs.
I mean Grotesque : Hunter Hunted, of wich this here is rather a kind of spin-off ...

The humour was a big turn-off for me too. To me it feels sort of cheap to just indulge in the same stupid clichés, jokes and themes that have been plaguing a lot of these games, and just call it a parody. The writing wasn't nearly witty, smart or insightful enough to warrant that description.

And it doesn't really help that the gameplay wasn't all that hot either. Still, I hope they outdo themselves in this sequel. I like SRPGs, or just anything Turn-Based for that matter, but the sequel definitely needs more "soul"!

I liked it. Ran thru it over a weekend, had a few chuckles whilst I was playing.

I particularly liked every character's "obsessions" that can help or hinder you, sometimes winning or losing the fight in one fell swoop as a character suddenly goes berzerk. I thought the graphics were cool too, albeit a bit limited in the locales and models. I'm kinda bummed that they dont appear to be keeping a similar doe-eyed/big head character model direction, that was part of the charm of the original imo.

Looking forward to spending another weekend w/ the sequel!

Alrik Fassbauer - Do you perhaps know if German retail version of Grotesque Tactics 2: Dungeons & Donuts comes with multi-language installation?

I bought the first game from Germany and it has both German and English option. Of course case and manual is German only.

Back
Top Bottom