Baldur's Gate 3 - Preview @RockPaperShotgun

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Baldur's Gate 3 has been previewed by RockPaperShotgun.

They call it Ceremorphosis. The excruciating seven day process by which a humanoid might transform into a Mind Flayer. Stick one illithid tadpole in the brain and one week later you've got an octopus for a head and a craving for more grey matter. And what better visual metaphor for the return of Baldur's Gate: the adventure that lodged in the hearts and minds of every RPG fan of a certain age, until it could find a host capable of doing it justice. The search took 20 years. That body belongs to Larian Studios. The game is Baldur's Gate 3.

[...]

[...]

And all this is true of Baldur's Gate 3? "Yeah. The party's going to be big, exploration's going to be big, player agency is going to be big, decisions are going to be big, multiplayer is going to be big - and single player, obviously. The originals were also tough games, so challenges are going to be big."

If you've played Larian's Divinity: Original Sin you'll know all this can be said of those games, too. Baldur's Gate was based on a modified version of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rulebook, and Larian is a studio partially born from a passion for D&D. Several campaigns run continuously in the office, and Vincke has long turned to the player handbooks and monster manuals for inspiration. "The thing Wizards Of The Coast is incredibly good at is making idea generators," he says. "When you read a campaign, you get plenty of ideas that you roll with and create your own adventures."
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Holy sh-t, its official then. If any one can, Larian can.:thumbsup:

This is one risky project, because the bar is not only incredibly high, but also heavily affected by nostalgia. I wish them the best of luck!

Oh yes, I'll obviously pre-order. That goes without saying. Playing it on day 1.

I just did not believe the rumors were true.

I am more than excited....i cannot believe it's true. And Larian is making it which is probably one of the best developers when it comes to this style (in my opinion).

I am pre-ordering the shit out of this one. Cannot wait!!!

Whoa! You can call me excited officially.

images

bleh.....they get farther and farther away from what made them great every game of late

So many huge RPGs coming. Baldur's Gate 3, Bloodlines 2, Outer Worlds, lots of great stuff coming. I'm hyped!

The Mind Flayer, one of the greatest creatures ever created. Can't go wrong by focusing on that.

All the news lately been what I don't want to hear. Sigh.

I hope Larian can do it, but my problem with this is that they make their games "collorfull" and even when bad things happen there is humor and hope and stupid COLOR.
And I for one remember Baldur's Gate as dark and gritty...

All the news lately been what I don't want to hear. Sigh.

At least it is a new story and not continuing the old. I think it will be a good game with plenty of depth in the systems department. That always impressed me greatly with bg2 and I expect Larian are focusing on it likewise.

I want to see how they do the magic battles and I am hoping for a 6 member party.

I hope "the party’s going to be big" means we get a 6-man party instead of the smaller ones in recent games. Beyond that, and confirmation of 5th edition, all seems like a non-story so far. We still know pretty much nothing.

I'll go into this game with a fresh and open mind, and a hunger for fun and adventure. I could be one of the nostalgic naysayers preaching about the olden times that will pile up in these boards faster than Chiktikka Fastpaws because I played the first two games when they were released, but I hate that kind of person, and I won't become one.

I hope this game triumphs, and I'll give it every opportunity to amaze me without clinging to self-induced nostalgia and rosy retrospection.

Good luck Larian, here's hoping you make us proud.

I hope Larian can do it, but my problem with this is that they make their games "collorfull" and even when bad things happen there is humor and hope and stupid COLOR.
And I for one remember Baldur's Gate as dark and gritty…

I need everything that is not dark and gritty aka anything that is not dark souls.
If that's BG3, I'm in.

And I for one remember Baldur's Gate as dark and gritty…

BG had its lighthearted moments, but it wasn't the focus. IMO a balance between the two would be the best. I don't want it to be too dark.

Can't wait. Hope Larion does justice to the BG legacy.

Back
Top Bottom