Non-RPG franchise turned into RPG? - Page 4 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Non-RPG franchise turned into RPG?

Default Non-RPG franchise turned into RPG?

November 19th, 2019, 22:00
Originally Posted by JFarrell71 View Post
Not in the sense of leveling up or perks or anything like that, but it's certainly not (just) an action game. It's built largely around inhabiting a character in that world and acting accordingly. A lot of people who play that game don't even do story missions. They just wander around, hunt, buy new clothes and other stuff, and chat with random passers-by. It's role-playing in the purest sense: a sandbox that encourages and empowers you to play a role.
That's kind of a stretch imo, but ok.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)

November 19th, 2019, 22:03
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
That's kind of a stretch imo, but ok.
If we can't decide on what an RPG is as group, what chance do we have to arrive at a consensus of what "RPG elements" are in action games? =P

JFarrell71

Sentinel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)

November 19th, 2019, 22:07
If we can't decide on what an RPG is as group, what chance do we have to arrive at a consensus of what "RPG elements" are in action games? =P
I don't think it's that hard to identify actual RPG elements in a game. Simply being able to "play a role" isn't an RPG element. If it was, pretty much *every* game could claim to have RPG elements.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 19th, 2019, 22:12
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't think it's that hard to identify actual RPG elements in a game. Simply being able to "play a role" isn't an RPG element. If it was, pretty much *every* game could claim to have RPG elements.
I'm not simple-minded. Yes, you play a role in most every game. But few games go to the lengths that RDR2 does to give you the tools to embody that role in a way that has nothing to do with the central plot of the game.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

November 19th, 2019, 22:30
I'm not simple-minded. Yes, you play a role in most every game. But few games go to the lengths that RDR2 does to give you the tools to embody that role in a way that has nothing to do with the central plot of the game.
Cool, but that's still not the same as actual RPG elements. To be honest, it sounds like you're talking about immersion more than anything.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

November 19th, 2019, 23:38
I would just like to say that I absolutely loathed, hated, despised, insta-flicked, the 60s Lost in Space show when I watched reruns of them on tele as a kid, a very young kid at that. Couldn't bare it. Every week the same shit, that retarded doctor being a cunt for no other reason than cartoon Skeletor level villainy. I have no idea why they didn't ignore him completely after a few days of his company, but no, week after week they continue believing a single word he says. LOL, utterly laughable and vomit inducing.

Haven't tried the new one yet though.

lackblogger

retired poster
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

November 20th, 2019, 00:49
Originally Posted by lackblogger View Post
I would just like to say that I absolutely loathed, hated, despised, insta-flicked, the 60s Lost in Space show when I watched reruns of them on tele as a kid, a very young kid at that. Couldn't bare it. Every week the same shit, that retarded doctor being a cunt for no other reason than cartoon Skeletor level villainy. I have no idea why they didn't ignore him completely after a few days of his company, but no, week after week they continue believing a single word he says. LOL, utterly laughable and vomit inducing.

Haven't tried the new one yet though.
It was alright. The motivations were less cartoonish, anyway.

JFarrell71

Sentinel

November 20th, 2019, 05:49
Hmmm, an Amber RPG would be fun. At the end, the game could pick one of your party members at Random to be the king!
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » Non-RPG franchise turned into RPG?